confusing gearing with rc 40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24gtmaxx

hi..i have a rc 40cc i installed, im running 24pinion,56 spur, after 100 feet the motor screams like it needs 2nd gear, the confusing part is this...

if i go to a 54 spur, and a 26 pinion am i changing the ratio, im used to baja, where ya had to equal 57, whats the trick with losi?

thanks yall

Losi uses engine mount inserts for gearing changes. Stock is 19 tooth pinion and 58 spur and thus uses the 19 tooth gear mesh engine inserts. If you change the spur to a smaller one (which you will want to) you then have to get a different gear mesh insert to make up the difference in space. The teeth count method doesn't quite work in this case, it will either bind or run sloppy without the proper inserts (which is a better design really in the long run) That said with a 24 tooth pinion, your spur will have to step down at least 4 teeth to notice any real difference. You must be making a lot of power with that 40cc!!! You'll need the blackbone system to get everything just right IMO:
http://mmrmodeltech.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=234
Good luck finding the 50t spur anywhere.....in stock.

Last edited:
im using blackbone gears, i have 54,56,58 spur and 20 thru 24 pinions

im trying to not have to buy every spur and pinion out there to find what works, lol

just seems to me, if i go down teeth in spur gear, and up 4 teeth in pinion, im not changing the ratio, am i?

all i wanna do is blast across the soccer field, and not be at maxx rpm 30 yards into it.

thanks

Yes, you need to change the ratio to keep from revving out, so bigger pinion (clutch bell teeth count) and smaller spur gear (fewer teeth count) The 54 tooth spur will not be that noticeable a difference from the 56 on there presently. The 50t would, however is sold out everywhere seemingly. The inserts does appear to be trial and error as I don't see them providing a chart anywhere as to what insert to use with what combo. I do know they can be flipped left to right to give you a couple combinations of fit, just be sure to keep them in sets of 4 so the engine stays straight, don't mix em' up.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks