Counter sunk Diff screws falling out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanach

The 4 Diff screws that hold the ring gear on keep on falling out, no amount of locktite known to man will hold them in.
My idea is to use longer screws with nyloc lock nuts on the back to prevent them from falling out... has anybody tried this or have a better idea??

screws

that sounds ok but they do come lose i check them every time iv been bashing
wat engine are you using that can also be a problem to much vibratig

I have all 4 fall out today too, first time for me. I've just this second put some new screws in with blue threadlock and stuck it in a warm (not hot) oven which is turned off so the threadlock dries nicely. I'll let you know how i get on tomorrow!! :)

Have you got the size if the screws by any chance incase i lose anymore?

Last edited:
i use red loctite and also with a flat head screw driver i damaged the screw threads 2 or 3 threads from the end and no longer have that issue , when i said damaged i meant just tap the thread to make it flat ..

screws

The 4 Diff screws that hold the ring gear on keep on falling out, no amount of locktite known to man will hold them in.
My idea is to use longer screws with nyloc lock nuts on the back to prevent them from falling out... has anybody tried this or have a better idea??

hi right this is the best throw the standered screws away keep one for the size then go to diy shop ect ask for same size but in alankey buy the stongest locktiet use a little drop on each screw then let them dry 12 hours heypresto
it works for me iv done this once and no problem at all:2guns: :clap:

Hi guys, I am runing the std engine with dom pipe and 2 speed and have noticed the plastic flange on the diff case that bolts up against the ring gear has seriously warped, in between the counter sunk holes the plastic case no longer sits flat against the gear face.... maybe the screws falling out is only the begining of my problem.

that happens a alot more with the plastic diff.. the srews are going straight into plastic. so far with my alloy diff i've had this issue once. kinda hard to retighen the screws without taking the diff completely out

Standard plastic diff case yes, both my friends have never had the problem, one is a std 26cc one is a 29cc both plastic diffs.

I found out why mine did it too, i had put the gear on the wrong way around so the screws were only half into the thread on the gear! DOH!

it happens

it happens to the best of us don't worry :clown: :hammer:

STORY
once apone time i took my exsuast of from my mt put a bit of sponge in to the manifold 2 days later put the new exsuast on the bloody thing wont start took it of agian yep the sponge was still there ha ha ha:blush:

allanach,

I had the same issue and just went ahead and rebuilt my diff completely - I've posted the info here on the site as well!

-Michael

allanach,

I had the same issue and just went ahead and rebuilt my diff completely - I've posted the info here on the site as well!

-Michael

I lashed out and got the full alloy diff, put all the loctite phisically possible onto all the screws "pitty the next dude that needs to remove the screws" oh that's probably me.... doh. Anyways all I need to do is put the diff back in the car and re position the diff key and away I go "fingers crossed".

Don't forget to shim everything!

-Michael

I have had my diff apart a couple of times and didn't see any "shims" in there. Also, I have looked at the diff articles written by Bigger The Better and didn't see any shims in his, nor in the manual. Do you have an FG part # for these, or are you just "shimming" with washers??

I have the part number for the shims... my adjustable diff came with shims and i had them in at one time, but i had an incident when one had fallen out so i took them all out. Talk about a PITA to put them gears in plus the shims :censored: :2guns:

Part number 08495

I have had my diff apart a couple of times and didn't see any "shims" in there. Also, I have looked at the diff articles written by Bigger The Better and didn't see any shims in his, nor in the manual. Do you have an FG part # for these, or are you just "shimming" with washers??

No BTB didn't write anything about shimming the diff, and in a stock setup you may not have to (I forget). However if you change your diff housing to aluminum like I have and like Allanach talked about doing then you'll noticed there is some movement back and forth and up and down with the spider gears.

Shimming these gears so there isn't play like this would strengthen your diff and allow better performance. I just went to the local hobby shop picked up the biggest nitro rc shims I could find and put them in the diff - work's perfectly!

-Michael

Hey Woodie, everything is shimmed and it turns over reall nice, had to move the diff key and grind about 1 mm off the bottom of it to fit "PITA" but it's all done now.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks