Curious on a solution to stop shock leakage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spence

Hi guys, this bothers me, that the shocks on my losi LMT monster truck use proper seals and DO NOT LEAK A DROP($600 rig), and the shocks on my SBR 2.0 ($941 rig) use crummy o rings and weep oil from the seals pretty bad... Are there proper seals that anybody has found that fit these shocks and stop the leaks? I know at the moment pretty much 95% of the SBR parts are on backorder due to covid...

Tried factory team green slime shock grease with no results..

These are just improperly made shocks, as the shocks on my v2 kraton are 4 years old with heavy use, and don't leak a drop.... Also these crappy seals allow the ingress of dirt into the shock oil too...

Just was curious if anybody had a solution..

Thanks
-Spence

Can't say I know poop about the baja rey. But maybe see if you can adapt shocks that are an equivalent since your probably going to run into this constantly? I'd try rebuilding the shocks first as the o-rings that constact the shock shafts are what wipe the shock oil off

Can't say I know poop about the baja rey. But maybe see if you can adapt shocks that are an equivalent since your probably going to run into this constantly? I'd try rebuilding the shocks first as the o-rings that constact the shock shafts are what wipe the shock oil off
whats interesting is the fronts don't leak at all :unsure:

Could be bad o rings or the shock shafts aren't at the right dimensions for the o-ring to do it job right
Gonna be a while till I can get shock parts, had to buy a whole shock to get a rod end and a bladder lmao. I guess when I can I'll get the $20 shock rebuild kit that does all 4 shocks, but that won't be till mid may..

Fix whats wrong don't add to the issue and don't listen to that clown
Well I do think he's right tho, but more mad at losi for not using a proper engineered seal on a $941 truck , and using proper seals on a $600 rig:D

Geeze I wished everyone would chill these are just toys, even tho I'm a newbie to the SBR 2.0, I've been in the rc hobby for almost 10 years... I came here from facebook to leave the extreme trolls

Hi guys, this bothers me, that the shocks on my losi LMT monster truck use proper seals and DO NOT LEAK A DROP($600 rig), and the shocks on my SBR 2.0 ($941 rig) use crummy o rings and weep oil from the seals pretty bad... Are there proper seals that anybody has found that fit these shocks and stop the leaks? I know at the moment pretty much 95% of the SBR parts are on backorder due to covid...

These are just improperly made shocks, as the shocks on my v2 kraton are 4 years old with heavy use, and don't leak a drop.... Also these crappy seals allow the ingress of dirt into the shock oil too...

Thanks
-Spence
Sometimes these things just aren’t right from factory, I would do a shock rebuild, lubricate the o rings with a little grease and put it all together, mabe it’s just a one off thing.

Sometimes these things just aren’t right from factory, I would do a shock rebuild, lubricate the o rings with a little grease and put it all together, mabe it’s just a one off thing.
This is precision engineering the tolerances are super small. I’ve got 4 modified Baja shocks with umbrella seals, three of them have lasted years but one leaks very slowly.

It could be my poopy wrenching skills or the tolerances are out on one of my parts. Who knows.

Monsterfcuker 1995 is gone now I hope, so there’s no more trolls here. Almost everyone on here knows there stuff, we don’t post speculation or guesses. Also most people are super serious about their rigs.

Don’t let the peepee's put you off, this place is way better than FB if you want proper advice.

Thanks
-Spence
If you are tight on time and really wanna bash, mabe you can buy a kit like this and replace what fits. https://www.amazon.com/Assortment-H...t=&hvlocphy=9004426&hvtargid=pla-844199720376

At least until shock parts are back in stock
Or if they are just a bad design, I see GPM makes upgraded ones https://www.gpmparts.com/team-losi-super-baja-rey-c-1532_1573_4625.html

So do the shock begin to leak over time or do they leak immediately after a new rebuild ? Is there an upper and lower threaded shock ends ? Some shock caps are designed to put some compression on the shaft oring to help with sealing. Is it possible the orings are wrong and the oring cross section is too thin ? Post pics of the shock assembly and the underside of the shock cap.

Last edited:
So do the shock begin to leak over time or do they leak immediately after a new rebuild ? Is there an upper and lower threaded shock ends ? Some shock caps are designed to put some compression on the shaft oring to help with sealing. Is it possible the orings are wrong and the oring cross section is too thin ? Post pics of the shock assembly and the underside of the shock cap.
I took the rear shocks apart and added loads of factory team green slime to the o-rings and re-assembled per the manual's diagram.. Its really just the rear shocks that are leaking oddly enough... Every run I clean the rear seal retainers with a toothbrush, at the end of every run there is lots of oily dirt stuck to the seal retainers... So they are weeping a decent bit...

I was just hoping there would be like a retrofit to a proper like x ring or proper silicone double lip seal setup from another rig..

The shock order goes: seal retainer, the kinda tophat shaped bushing guide (goes in one way) then the 1st o-ring, another bushing, the other o ring, and the other top hat bushing, then of course the shaft, and the bump stop at the very bottom, and the washer on the bottom of the piston, and then the piston itself and the nut...

Thanks

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks