Cylinder reed engine questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46u

Who here is running a bolt on cylinder reed motor? I understand you have to have the proper cylinder with windowed piston and all. What are the disadvantages if any and advantages over a slandered engine? Does this type of engine have good low-end torque? Is there any particular displacement that runs better then another with this set up? Is the only thing you have to do to built it in a 5b is the throttle linkage? Do you need special pipes for this type engines? Please educate me and thanks for your input.

Here is a video. Looks like great top end but to my old ears and eyes bottom end may be lacking. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
No comment any one??????? This thing rips! I found out he is running REAL tall gearing so this would have some to do with the slower take off from a stop. I all so found out with reed engines you do some low end.

The video looks great.
I was curious to see if there would be any informed replies as I've a 28.5 2-bolt TS reed full mod engine waiting to be dropped into my MT.
I too have read that reed engines are supposed to have an enhanced low end, and watching the video, I didn't think it was particularly slow off the line either!

Have fun, but I also hope your filter's up to the job as that's an extemely dusty environment you're blasting around in there!!

Al.

I wish but that was not my 5b. I just have been doing some checking on cylinder mounted reed engines. I have 4 engines but all are 2 bolt and I hope in the 6 or so mouths to build a 4 bold engine. At this point not sure what I am going to build and just checking all the possibilities.
Thanks

i have found that the low end is a bit less agressive than on piston ports. atleast until you have everything tweeked well for the motor your running.

get it all setup and running. Pipe choice is a BIG factor. once you have the pipe you want for the power curve your seeking, then get it WELL tuned (this is a key componant as well). a bit rich or a bit lean, and you ll find the performance is affected more than on a piston port with the same amount of rich or lean settings. that is to say, a reed is more sensitive to the needle settings, so therefore shows more variance in performance.

but once you have it tuned right, have the carb setup right (metering spring/pop off pressure ect) for the pipe your using, they can get damn near stupid from low to high rpm.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks