DBXL 2.0 build (aka money-pit)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aperson

The dbxl is a platform many don't like and for good reason. I suck at doing research and the marginally cheaper price tag compared to a 5T seemed nice to me. Well I've had it for a few months now and I don't hate it. I've had lots of fun with it...... also broken lots of things.....

Most of this is a backlog of things I've already done.
20220908_201459.jpg

September 2022 the day of purchase.
First modification was adding some red leds to the rear to compliment the factory light bar. I ended up wiring in a killer rc light controller along with the killer bee killswitch. Neat little thing, lots of different light modes and you can have the brake lights come on with the brake on the remote. Of course you do lose the remote killswitch function if you only have a three channel transmitter.
20220911_192145.jpg

As everyone knows the factory shocks are poopy. Very soft and basically no rebound. I ended up drilling four more 1.58mm holes in the rear shock pistons and did a half and half with the factory shock oil and 60 weight oil. It helped but they were still bad so I just put 5ive-t shocks on it like everyone else.

Now the fun part. Large scales mean large bodies with lots of room for activities. For this build I wanted to a blob style paintjob so I got to work with my 3M 471+ fine line tape and did some free-hand on the outside of the factory body.
20220919_181648.jpgThe finished body ended up a bit different looking :censored:20220924_105953.jpgI wasn't 100% happy with the end result I had trouble with the tape lifting up and moving on the sharper curves so I did the best I could. The front is a purple to blue fade with gunmetal accenting around the blobs behind that is a pearl white with a dark green backing making an off-white/blue-ish hue and then some orange on the upper portion of the rear body panels for contrast. I went with these colors because that's just what I had left.20230115_164535.jpgAnd here's how it sits today. OBR 34 full mod with a VRC pipe and dinero tires. Ready for more drive pin shreddage. :)

I'm glad your rolling with it and enjoying it, nice Ls block table you got there (y)
I was hoping someone would catch that lol. Bought it as a complete long block from a friend of a friend for dirt cheap tore it down a year ago and have neglected it ever since. :)

Anyways I got a set of flm cv's and 11lbs rear springs. Springs were a huge improvement on the way it jumps still noses down sometimes but my backyard track was made more for 1/8th scales so the jumps are a bit small for it and I'm still babying it a bit until I get my tune 100% sorted. We'll see if the new cv's are any better than stock. Basically the same design they just have a retaining ring around the outer pin.
20230125_183513.jpg
Amazingly I've only broken one pin so far so if I'm as lucky with these I'll be happy.

20230128_132232.jpg
.......I bent my low speed needle. No idea how. Surprisingly the carb is still fine though. But if I ever needed a new carb would the 1242/1254/1267 carbs be worth the price over the 1107 on a ported 34? I haven't really felt like the 1107 is too small for this engine.

Once is funny, two times not so much. Ended up toasting the top end on the obr 34. :( Figured i'd give an esp ported cylinder a try this time around I've only driven for a few minutes but I can see why everyone likes them so much. the obr full mod engine was no slouch but it was definitely more of a top end oriented porting. The esp just seems better all around even with the factory muffler.

20230318_161720.jpg
20230318_161726.jpg
20230318_161733.jpg20230318_161835.jpg

Eveyone's seen the inside of a zenoah g320 so no pictures of the new build. However I did end up changing the air filter. I'm not a huge fan of the factory one and while I don't think it was the reason for my engine failure it was a variable that I hadn't changed yet. I ended up getting a dt-1 air filter that's made for the 5-t this required a tad bit of modification to fit to the dbxl.

20230520_152819.jpg
Now my filter is in the direct path of anything coming off of the tires. :LOL: I'm prototyping a shield to cover it out of metal and then when I get a shape I like I'll form it from lexan so it looks cleaner.

20230520_152837.jpg

Attachments

• 20230318_161720.jpg
    20230318_161720.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks