DBXL aluminum diff towers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R. Johns

Hello,

I want to upgrade the front, rear and center differentials on my Losi DBXL (gas). I plan to (hopefully) upgrade the motor at tax time to something with more power. Not to something with totally insane power but a decent amount, in the five horsepower range (with tuned exhaust).

I wanted to use the Area RC, DGI or FID Racing diff brackets. I figured while I had the diffs out I would also replace the shock towers with the same manufacturer aluminum towers. I watched a couple videos on YouTube and saw there was compatibility/fitment issues with the shock towers (whether stock plastic or aluminum/upgrades) attaching to the diff brackets on the front and rear diffs. I also saw there were issues of mismatching colors even with the same manufacturer. I don’t care so much about the mismatch of colors but the fitment issues do concern me as I don’t want to get something I can’t use or have to modify to use. I want to get the aluminum parts in red and I plan on using the Hot Racing diff cups.

Anyone have any recommendations on other manufacturers’ aluminum parts for these items? Any idea whether the manufactures’ have fixed these issues? Does 100k front and rear diff fluid and 500k in the center sound about right for general bashing/driving off road?

Here is what I was considering using but….
Front shock tower:
https://www.dgiracing.com/front-shock-tower-for-losi-dbxl/
Rear shock tower:
https://www.dgiracing.com/rear-shock-tower-for-losi-dbxl/
Diff bracket:
https://www.dgiracing.com/aluminum-front-diff-bracket-for-dbxl/
Center diff bracket: I realize this one obviously won’t have fitment issues with the shock towers but any general opinions or other problems with this part?
https://www.dgiracing.com/center-diff-bracket-adjustable-caliper-for-losi-dbxl/

I surfed around the inter-webs and could not find any further information. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

In tbe dbxl the most important upgeade is the fr/rear ally diff cases...(y)..as in the bits what hold the diff cups...(y)...as the plastic ones can get hot and deform(n) then bang goes ur gears:(..on my 5ive i ran 30-100-60k oil wise with a 31.5 fm gizmo engine.......now i run a 34obr reed i run 100-500-100k

Evssv pretty much nailed it. I never bothered to upgrade my center diff housing as I have not had any issues with it. But all the diffs are the dgi brand. I have 30k f&r and 100k in the center diff. I just bash so it was more what I had laying around at the time for the dif fluid

Thank you all very much. Evssv, looks like you did pretty much exactly what I am wanting to do.

Seems like some of the FID etc. stuff is somewhat hard to find in red outside of E-Bay. I will most likely do the DGI links and the curved "L" shape throttle servo arm too. Seems like the L shaped throttle servo arm would make things a lot simpler.

I read somewhere it was better to keep the stock plastic arm that goes from the steering servo to the steering assembly because if you take a hit the plastic arm would break/bend instead of possibly damaging your nice servo which in my case was the Spektrum S9020 (kind of pricey).

no probs....;)never run ally arms on any off road rc imo.(n)....plastic is the way to roll....(y)...tps servo horn makes set up easier....and more smoother/stronger.(y).....I do have all plastic/stock steering horn rod on my 1/5th`s now....(y)...would I fit a ally one..:unsure:..if I find one then yeah I would...(y)

Did HR stop making the diff cups for the DBXL? It says out of stock on their (HR's) site, I could not find them on Amazon and oddly there was only one for sale on E-Bay. Are there other options if HR stopped producing them?

What's wrong with your stock cups? I've run mine for years with little wear.
I say if if theres a better part and yo have the cash why not(y)
I figured while I had them apart I would upgrade them to something a bit heavier duty since I will be upgrading the motor in the future.
Sweet what motor you buying?

Last edited:
I'm never against an up grade. But I have the older v1 obr reed in my dbxl and haven't wore them out. I know it doesn't make the same power as the new engines. So what I guess I'm saying is it will live if you cant find them

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks