DBXL DDM Dominator Pipe fitment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just installed the dominator pipe this weekend and bashed with a few friends. I'm not happy with the fitment of the pipe. I used exhaust wrap on the section of pipe that touches the cage and all it ended up doing was melting 2 parts of the cage and fusing it directly to my exhaust. The plastic goo from the cage melted straight through the exhaust wrap and fused to the exhaust. I had to cut up all the wrap and pry the cage off the exhaust. A guy that was bashing with us said.. "oh you have the dominator pipe. Yeah I had a DBXL before with that pipe, I had to completely cut that section of the cage off." WTF? How do these guys sell a pipe that doesn't even fit properly? No wonder why when I watch dominator pipe videos on youtube none of the DBXL's have the cages mounted. I tried to lower the exhaust using the mounts but the way the 2 pieces go together don't allow any room for adjustment, nor does the fact that the pipe touches the rear chassis brace and won't allow it to go any lower.

Another issue I had was that silicon hose fitting/coupler that attaches the 2 exhaust pieces together (manifold/exhaust). It was near impossible to get it on the thicker exhaust section. It just barely fit over the narrower manifold section. After much struggling I managed to get it on. I used Vaseline and a lot of persuasion. I thought to myself that it was stretched so badly, it looked like it was going to split. Sure enough, after about 10 min of running, the stupid thing split wide open. Is this thing the wrong size? I've heard older models don't come with this fitting. Running without it, it just spews oil all over the place. Suffice to say, I am not happy with this pipe at all. On the plus side, there are significant noticeable gains in the low-mid range power band. The engine revs much much quicker from a dead stop. I actually would have saved up a bit and purchased a different pipe that fits. Power gains aside, it just isn't worth the issues I'm having. I also managed to snap one of the bolts on the rubber exhaust mounts while tightening using an open ended wrench and one finger. I barely put force on it and the bolt snapped. Maybe my fault on this one, but still seemed like some low grade bolts to me.

Last edited:
Huh, I didn't have that many issues with mine. It melted a small section of cage, but its tiny and hasn't melted any more after the wrap. It does touch the rear chassis support, but mines aluminum so no issue. My exhaust coupler fit fine. ?‍♂️ Its not the best pipe in the world, but I think thats reflected in the price.

Huh, I didn't have that many issues with mine. It melted a small section of cage, but its tiny and hasn't melted any more after the wrap. It does touch the rear chassis support, but mines aluminum so no issue. My exhaust coupler fit fine. ?‍♂️ Its not the best pipe in the world, but I think thats reflected in the price.

I was more worried about vibrations from pipe touching the brace.. mine is also aluminum no worries there. I feel like the coupler i got was the wrong size... theres no way it should be that tight. The fibers literally tore when i got it on there.

Pics below are from before all the carnage. BTW, was the coupler difficult for you to put in at least? If it went on without a fuss then mine was definitely the wrong size. I have a lot of experience with silicon couplers, this was definitely sized incorrectly. I don't know if this was done on purpose to try and create a tighter seal. It really needs a reducer. larger dia. for the exhaust size, smaller for the manifold side.

Attachments

• 20200613_143918.jpg
    20200613_143918.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200613_143850.jpg
    20200613_143850.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200613_134414.jpg
    20200613_134414.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
No, if anything mine is loose. Perhaps you did get the wrong size. Id think the just chop pieces off a large roll. So they should be the same. Id put my money on variations in the pipes. But who knows

I'm thinking my cage melting more than other people's could also be a variation during manufacturing. After all they are just welded pieces. Any oil leaking from the coupler area? I'll just get another coupler that's a bit larger.

i ran a samba on my db?...fitted sweet ?and was no were near any cage parts?

Nice, wish I had asked for options prior to purchase. The DDM was on sale at $99 so it was an impulse buy. I assumed their stuff was decent.

BTW, anybody try high temp RTV on the exhaust/manifold joint? Will it hold?

Nice, wish I had asked for options prior to purchase. The DDM was on sale at $99 so it was an impulse buy. I assumed their stuff was decent.

BTW, anybody try high temp RTV on the exhaust/manifold joint? Will it hold?
and yes it's always a good ideal to ask on here before any purcheses?....as between us all there's not much we haven't tried?.....?

A permeated copper will take the heat. Actullay that's all that I used to seal the headers on my big block in my pickup.
I have to agree with the issues being how the pipe was made. It doesn't seem they hold the tightest tolerances when making them. I had to redo my brackets to get mine to sit bellow the cage.
No splooge from my coupler. Tbh the two pipes just so slide into each other, the fit was so close. I don't even have clamps on my coupler and it was a maga pain to get on.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks