DDM Daves Discount motors advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBXLGUY

If I could give any advice it would be to stay away from DDM/Daves Discount Motors. Purchased an item from them which did not work and after several months I was able to return it (good on their part). I spoke to an employee and offered to ship the part for them to repair but I was told that they don't even build or repair engines. When they received the part they blamed me saying I damaged it. I feel they were very disrespectful and talked down to me. Not sure if they are used to dealing with kids and felt that was ok but it was not. BUYER BEWARE!! Hope they remember they are one in a million toy stores on the internet. They need us we don't need them.

I'll be surprised if you'll get much back up on this one..DDM is 1 of the biggest 1/5 scale suppliers out there..

With a large customer base you're bound to get a few unhappy customers, this doesn't mean rudeness and being unhelpful should be permitted, maybe caught them on a bad day as i've had poop loads of parts from them without complaint...

I'll be surprised if you'll get much back up on this one..DDM is 1 of the biggest 1/5 scale suppliers out there..

With a large customer base you're bound to get a few unhappy customers i've had poop loads of parts from them without complaint...

+1 on that I and many of customers have had many great experience with DDM I have used a couple of there top end kits and they are great. In a top end kit which he is complaining about there really is not much to it to be faulty it more on the human error side, not gaped correctly, piston problems, ring not seated correctly on the piston and much more. It was obvious from his other thread that he was not well versed in installing head kits and he admitted that he tighten up the carb spacer to tight and broke it so just as that was an error there could have easily been another error that he performed that caused his engine not to run. I have spoken on the phone many of times with DDM and once again nothing but great service, so there are times when a customer comes at you wrong and hostile and then brings a reaction that the customer does not want. I have seen and heard many customers be very irate and tell you want you are going to do and soon as you say you are not going to do that or agree to there outrageous commands the company is the one that is super wrong let them tell it.

DDM is a retailer not a manufacturer. Sounds like you're directing your frustration at the wrong person.

Why not contact the manufacturer or post here what the part is and maybe we can help?

I also had a problem with ddm but I spoke to them about it and they were happy to make an exception for me. I have purchased many things from them and OBR and I have to say nothing but 5 star service from both companies.

If I could give any advice it would be stay away from DDM/Daves Discount Motors. Purchased an item from which did not work and after several months I was able to return it (good on their part). I spoke to an employee and offered to ship the part for them to repair but I was told that they don't even build or repair engines. When they received the part they blamed me saying I damaged it. I feel they were very disrespectful and talked down to me. Not sure if they are used to dealing with kids and felt that was ok but it was not. BUYER BEWARE!! Hope they remember they are one in a million toy stores on the internet. They need us we don't need them.

I think you are taking your frustration out wrong friend. DDM is a store, not a manufactuerer, much the same a car dealer doesn't build the car and Walmart doesn't grow tomatoes. I know you had some problems going together and you weren't able to get it to start. I would say if they let you return a product that if I'm not mistaken carries no warranty that in itself is good customer service. I didn't hear the phone conversation, but maybe you both were a little edgy that day lol. Sounds like you just need to beat a DBXL and caulk up a good learning experience in 2 strokes!

If I could give any advice it would be to stay away from DDM/Daves Discount Motors. Purchased an item from them which did not work and after several months I was able to return it (good on their part). I spoke to an employee and offered to ship the part for them to repair but I was told that they don't even build or repair engines. When they received the part they blamed me saying I damaged it. I feel they were very disrespectful and talked down to me. Not sure if they are used to dealing with kids and felt that was ok but it was not. BUYER BEWARE!! Hope they remember they are one in a million toy stores on the internet. They need us we don't need them.

you admittedly broke it yourself by over tightening the screw......in what world does someone else have to pay for your mistake, mistakes happen it is a learning curve you know now not to do it again.... but attempting to boycott a respected company that did not make the part, and did not break the part because they wouldn't pay to replace the part YOU BROKE because you didn't know what you were doing is quite childish....... its like drowning your pickup in the river and telling the dealer they need to fix it because you didn't know it couldn't swim......a little less time with the Facebook drama a little more real world would probably do you some good I'm thinking........good luck getting your motor going you know what not to do next time hopefully it goes better

Last edited:
Just speaking of my experience with this company. Not sure what there problem was that day but all they did was accuse me of breaking the part when I clearly did not and never admitted to it. By the way not a Facebook kinda guy (nothing but snotty remarks) rest my case.

I just realized I cracked the screw hole of the intake manifold by over tightening it. Think that could be the problem? I spoke with Dave's motors who said I should check the piston for scuff marks and the piston might be bad. Will probably start with the manifold then trouble shoot. Don't want to take the engine apart again. Didn't think the piston was that sensitive.
this is what you said on previous post its not snotty remarks its just accountability, admitting it was you who made the mistake we all make mistakes every day but one needs to admit when one has made a mistake not find a scape goat to pay for what you did....... case rested

Last edited:
Just speaking of my experience with this company. Not sure what there problem was that day but all they did was accuse me of breaking the part when I clearly did not and never admitted to it. By the way not a Facebook kinda guy (nothing but snotty remarks) rest my case.

You yourself did admit that you broke the part!!!!!!"I just realized I cracked the screw hole of the intake manifold by over tightening it" and for as long as you had the part for them to take it back at all was great customer service.

You your self gives snotty remarks such as when you stated "Should have known it was junk when I bought it from a store with the word discount in it"

Thats the same attitude that you used to them when you contacted them and now feel that it is wrong. Do not issue out what you are not willing to withstand yourself.

Last edited:
DDM rocks as far as I'm concerned. I've purchase many items from them without any problems. My advice.........disregard your recent experience and listen to what we are all saying.......DDM is a great place to purchase your 5th scale parts.

Last edited:
I can't possibly imagine anyone taking your advise on DDM. They are one of the largest & one of the original Large Scale parts suppliers & have a HUGE group of customers from all over the world. Customers must realize that they are a distributor of parts, Not a manufacturer. It is also up to the customer to realize if they have cause the problem or not. Most all parts are warrantied for manufacturer defects, not installation error, or damage from misuse or abuse.

DDM has Amazing customer service, and has for Many years.

I would say 9 1/2 times out of 10 it's usually user error with parts. Also with that said, with the Thousands and Thousands of dollars I have spent there they are my first stop for buying parts.

Wrong place to bash on ddm!!! I've spent $1000's with ddm an never had a problem with customer service they have always been respectful an done what ever they could for me and very quickly I might add! I will always go back to ddm, great business an good source for information an great customer service.

I have been dealing with DDM for about 6 years or better and I have had a couple of problems but I must say they more them corrected the problem FAST. There is a reason they have torque specifications for just about everything on the motor and I always use them.

I just bought a lot of stuff from DDM, and steve answered all of my stupid questions and gave me good advice. It was really great dealing with them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks