DDM dominator FAST - opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enzo3856

I am about to do a rebuild on my 2nd Baja and it is still using the HPI pig tail exhaust (Baja SS 26cc).
I got a dominator v2 silenced on my other Baja and love it...
My issue with it is that since I only bash, i am concerned that it can get damaged when I roll over or tumble... In fact I am sure it has already changed shape because of this...

So the 2nd Baja is my son's, and he tends to tumble more than me ;-)
I was looking on DDM and they have listed the FAST pipe again:
Screenshot 2021-01-29 132548.png
https://www.davesmotors.com/DDM-Dominator-FAST-Pipe-for-HPI-Baja-5b-5t-BLACK-DDM011-Black?sc=12

Any opinions on this pipe? how loud is it compared to the HPI pigtail? I find the pig tail too high pitched and annoying...

Id vote for an actually good pipe like a side pipe but they are more expensive. Side pipes are difficult to damage because the wheels are in the way.
Yeah I get that argument. I wish that was in the cards...
From my position, I want to keep costs down and super performance is low priority as I just run these rigs with my kid and having fun.
I could go cheap with an eBay unit, but I would rather have quality over cheapness... which brings me to the dominator pipe.
I wish I could budget an obr and olimat pipe etc., but I personally cannot justify that.
Hope that makes sense where my post is coming from.

I am about to do a rebuild on my 2nd Baja and it is still using the HPI pig tail exhaust (Baja SS 26cc).
I got a dominator v2 silenced on my other Baja and love it...
My issue with it is that since I only bash, i am concerned that it can get damaged when I roll over or tumble... In fact I am sure it has already changed shape because of this...

So the 2nd Baja is my son's, and he tends to tumble more than me ;-)
I was looking on DDM and they have listed the FAST pipe again:
View attachment 69052
https://www.davesmotors.com/DDM-Dominator-FAST-Pipe-for-HPI-Baja-5b-5t-BLACK-DDM011-Black?sc=12

Any opinions on this pipe? how loud is it compared to the HPI pigtail? I find the pig tail too high pitched and annoying...
DDM sells good stuff. I've never used this pipe ,but I'm sure the quality is better than the Rovan pos sidepipe . Plus I'm sure your son will think its cool as hell depending on his age. I almost bought one when I got my first 1/5 scale. I picked up a Dominator v2 AT THE TIME.

Yeah I get that argument. I wish that was in the cards...
From my position, I want to keep costs down and super performance is low priority as I just run these rigs with my kid and having fun.
I could go cheap with an eBay unit, but I would rather have quality over cheapness... which brings me to the dominator pipe.
I wish I could budget an obr and olimat pipe etc., but I personally cannot justify that.
Hope that makes sense where my post is coming from.
I just did a Dyno test between a ROvan stock Baja pipe and a DMM DOM V1 and there was very little difference in MAX HP maybe .5 hp !! FYI the Rovan is a $50 pipe. I have rolled mine a bunch and it is covered by the roll cage.
https://www.rovanrc.com/product-rv95066

Last edited:
the fast pipe is an ok pipe , i have one fitted to my orange rail build,
but they do stick out the back past the stock plastic hpi bumper,
so you'd need an extended bumper to protect the pipe/engine top end from damage in an end over end crash (y),

Last edited:
the fast pipe is an ok pipe , i have one fitted to my orange rail build,
but they do stick out the back past the stock plastic hpi bumper,
so you'd need an extended bumper to protect the pipe/engine top end from damage in an end over end crash (y),
Good information. Thanks!

If want to keep price down and performance is not a priority why not use the can exhaust, whithout extender, that hinders performance too much.
Cheapest, most protected and wont break for sure.

Btw if you don't like the high pitched sound, which I don't like either the can is also a good solution. Most of the tuned pipes will have that high pitched sound to them, if you want something deeper youll need a big ass one.
I'm the can evangelist

Btw if you don't like the high pitched sound, which I don't like either the can is also a good solution. Most of the tuned pipes will have that high pitched sound to them, if you want something deeper youll need a big ass one.
I'm the can evangelist
OR use a silencer on the pipe !!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks