Demon RC - 2-Speed and Belt Drive Updates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DemonRC

Ok folks. I started a thread to keep you guys up to date on where we stand.

5-11-2011:
The 2-speed has evolved to a point where we are going to press forward with it due to a problem with the single speed belt drive. We are going to scrap the one piece layshaft due to costs and use the stock layshaft with extra bearing support in the gearplate. This should get you guys a very affordable system with the changes. Due to progression on our 2 speed test platforms along with the changes to the belt drive we are holding off the release of the belt drive and will be releasing it along side of the 2-speed.

As of right now the 2-speed project has evolved to a point where we can release some information on it. We have been testing 2 prototypes over the last 8 months and have revised them over and over. One system was gear driven and the other belt driven. Each protoype was tested using various shift mechanisms along with many different one-way bearings. We have taken the best components and are incorportating them into a 3rd generation system. We will be using a standard pawl and catch style shift mechanism as we have found it to be the most reliable system. Clutch style shift systems upsized from 1/8 scale systems just didn't last and were too bulky. We will also be using a MASSIVE 14mm one-way bearing that can withstand 3X the torque of a 10mm bearing like FG uses. These bearings are rated at more than 1.4X the torque than the bearing used in BSW's 2 speed.

Please note: These are not renderings of the production design. We already have 2 prototypes incoming but have already made small changes to the system. We might be lightening up the pinion gears which is not shown.

Attachments

• MCD%202%20Speed.jpg
    MCD%202%20Speed.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 81
  • MCD%202%20Speed%20Exploded.jpg
    MCD%202%20Speed%20Exploded.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 75
  • MCD%202%20Speed%20Exploded%202.jpg
    MCD%202%20Speed%20Exploded%202.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 76
Love this ideal, looks very interesting and seems like you have it at a stage where it is a reliable product, well the design looks good. Is it going to be long before I can purchase a belt drive as I can't wait to try it with my oddie set up, :)

We should be done with testing within the next 45-60 days. After that we will be placing the production order. I would expect it to be in stock by late July early August.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks