detailed review of the RCMK XCR-1000 buggy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaker

I received this RCMK XCR-1000 buggy from DDM on Friday. And figured I would do a complete and as detailed review as possible. I spent Saturday morning getting it equipped and ready to run. I spent a lot of time taking notes and detailed pics to show a lot of the details that have been hidden. There are some comparisons shots of it to a Losi DBXL. And before you ask "THIS AIN'T NO DBXL" this thing is a much better and bigger beast.

I was very impressed with it out of the box, attention to detail is like no other 5th scale RC I've ever seen, every part is labeled with there part #, and most also have lengths and sizes. Everything on the RCMK XCR-1000 truck is bigger, think 5ive sized parts on a DBXL frame. This is what LOSI should have done. If you have any questions please ask. I am still finding things the more I look at it. Over 50 detailed picture here
http://s120.photobucket.com/user/fletcherscustoms/library/RCMK XCR-1000?sort=3&page=1

Lets start with some issues I found right out the box:
  • 2 front bumper screws barely installed, easy fix
  • (1) engine mount screw stripped head
  • Holes in the battery box and receiver box are way to small. I finally drilled a bigger hole to get wires through

Here's the first things I noticed when un-boxing:
  • Cage is must better built more support braces and details that make it look like a real buggy (handles, realistic style bracing)
  • Body Attachment to side panel is inside the body, not external like the DBXL
  • Rear tire mount is adjustable from flat to 30 degree angle
  • Diff cups are booted and greased. Boots have a metal ring inside the boot that are crippled to the CVD ends and to the diff cups. Never seen like this its truly a sealed boot. Just like a on a true car.
  • 21 tooth pinion, same as DBXL
  • Pinion carrier is same dimensions as DBXL, but is more like a 5ive and does no use the spacers between the clutch carrier like the DBXL does
  • Everything on the truck that was screwed to metal was Blue loctite
  • Center shafts are 7mm, same as DBXL
  • Axle are 7MM same as DBXL
  • Drive pins are 5mm
  • Diff cups are larger, appear to be same size as a 5ive
  • Tierods and camber links are hardened steel 6mm with 8mm ends
  • Battery box holds a 6000 Killer RC, has a nice screwed down holder
  • 7mm shock shafts ,5mm DBXL, shocks look identical but shafts and seals are different
  • Rear CVDS guards are nice but a little big hinder some access
  • Aluminum towers with a lot of adjustment
  • Wheels are metal ringed around the HEX
  • All plastics is much stiffer than the plastic on the Losi DBXL. Its labeled "Graphite" on some parts
  • Driveshafts, pins and rods appears to be machined pieces, not the cast like the DBXL. (I bent a driveshaft in crash yesterday and hammered it back straight)

Comparison with a Losi DBXL

Items that work on both:
  • Clutch and pinion
  • Pinion carrier although two different styles same final dimensions
  • Rear lower engine mount (plastic)
  • Chassis braces, same dimensions RCMK are a little more stout
  • Top steering brace
  • Rear bumper will swap
  • Sway bar is same, RCMK has larger ball ends
  • Gas tank mounts are the same, RCMK has a larger capacity tank it appears
  • Hinge pins, RCMK are a hardened material. Not cast like DBXL
  • Diff pinion and ring gear front and rear
  • All driveshafts are same length, but want crossover
  • DBXL Camber and tie rods ends will work, the ball in the RCMK is bigger in diameter but both use same size screw

Differences:
  • Shock shafts 7mm vs 5mm
  • Front arms, carriers, spindles much larger in all forms, larger bearing etc
  • Rear arms look the same
  • Rear hub carrier is huge compared to DBXL
  • 5mm drive pins
  • Larger drive cups all around. Look like five size
  • Vented clutch bell
  • Chassis side guards
  • Servo saver , adjustment is on top
  • Front bumper mounts, may cross over
  • All diff cups and internal gears are much larger
  • Center diff mount and top are more like a 5ive
  • Diffs from outside of cup to outside of cup is 110mm, DBXL 100mm
  • Diff bearing are encased in a metal sleeves like a 5ive
  • Much larger bearing all around
  • Bulkheads look the same, but are much larger in the bearing mount area, also bigger in diameter and width
  • Rear forward body mount 1" wider than DBXL

Losi DBXL Buggy

RCMK XCR-1000 Buggy

WE need to stop comparing to a DBXL, and start with a 5ive. Everything is as big or bigger on the RCMK. If they can bring the price down just a tad and get parts over here, these things are going to be hot

yeah the RCMK 29 is no dog, running against my buddy driving my 26 equipped DBXL it was no comparison at all. Low end or top end

and to answer have I ran it. Its been completely repaired using a mixture of DBXL rod ends and sway bar links. Shock shaft is not the same as any truck so awaiting shafts from RCMK. But the shocks same size as DBXL, so I will put a extra pair of DBXL front shock on it for now

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 57
  • FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 48
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 48
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 52
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 47
Took this pic last night. RCMK vs. 5ive spindle. Could swap over, 5ive is a little thicker where the pin goes through into the carrier. But a little work with a dremel 5ive could be used. Also Shocks switch with DBXL. I’m running DBXL fronts on it now, due to no shaft to replace the broke one. Also pics of the shaft itself. None of the Losi will Crossover as it is not a nutted shaft like Losi. Shaft is to thick to be used with DBXL parts, and to short for 5ive. It has a screw holding the piston on. Orings and seals are also different that a DBXL or 5ive.

FullSizeRender-51.jpg
FullSizeRender-53.jpg
FullSizeRender-50.jpg
FullSizeRender-52.jpg

WE need to stop comparing to a DBXL, and start with a 5ive. Everything is as big or bigger on the RCMK. If they can bring the price down just a tad and get parts over here, these things are going to be hot

Ummm' we haven't compared it to a DBXL in this thread, you have.:rolleyes: Good to know that it is more robust in many critical details. It looks like it is worth the price to me.....That must have been a good hit.

Last edited:
I meant that in a general idea of what the rest of the world is looking at when they see it online. I stopped comparing it as a copy of the DBXL right out the box

Great review thanks. You are right most compare to DBXL because they look so much alike. Sounds like this is what we wanted our DBXL's to be from the beginning. Just sad its so hard to get parts for them over here. Maybe now we can get someone to really set up either factory or aftermarket parts to match dbxl like what you say these are.

DDM can special order parts. I just got a bunch of spares ordered yesterday. They said they would but right now there isn't enough of the buggies being bought to warrant it

That shock shaft with the screw holding the piston on is like the first generation 5ive shocks it will come loose if you jump the truck
Red Loctite it

I am happy to say the the DBXL rear shocks are a direct replacement for the RCMK (4) shocks. Nothing will change over between the two shocks, but Losi DBXL shocks can be used in a pinch. I know this cause I am waiting on parts last night and tried a rear DBXL and it same length as the DBXL. So am running a (2) DBXL on the front til I get the replacement shock shaft from RCMK

Boilermaker, I contacted DDM about ordering a set of shocks for the RCMK so I could try them on my DBXL. They told me no they could not order them. You must be able to get parts because you have the RCMK buggy? I have no idea but sure like to try them out.

yeah the RCMK 29 is no dog, running against my buddy driving my 26 equipped DBXL it was no comparison at all. Low end or top end

and to answer have I ran it. Its been completely repaired using a mixture of DBXL rod ends and sway bar links. Shock shaft is not the same as any truck so awaiting shafts from RCMK. But the shocks same size as DBXL, so I will put a extra pair of DBXL front shock on it for now

I have similar picture like yours in my first run .mine right front side.:sleep:

I have similar picture like yours in my first run .mine right front side.:sleep:

Then I fixed it.poor workman ship all bolts and Lm screw was loose.no hard hit just small bump and it in just time whole thing came out.next to go was stirring servo arm fully eroded by my strong savox servo.plastic grade not right or hard enough and third run its the throttle servo arm,same destiny .even the disc brakes has a problem.now sitting on my dinning table.they are sending me new upgraded parts let's see how it work.very disappointed paid a good price and and good customs duty to get to India.its Sad ,hope they fix it with good parts.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks