diff oil recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john addinall

hi all
i am new to baja 5b and busy to rebuild the project. i stripped it complete and are now busy with the diff. i have a idea on how the diff work but now i was told that different oils make the diff perform different. this baja will be used for racing on tarmac. what oil should i use for diff and can someone please explain to me how oils make diff perform different. thanks gents

Light oil means there's less "locking" effect which means the tires will spin at different speeds around turns. Also lighter oil helps with tight turns, less likely to spin out when your in the throttle around corners " within reason".
Heavier oil will start to "lock" the rear diff "inner spider gears" so both rear tires will spin at the same speed regardless of conditions under the tires..rain,snow,dirt,gravel..it will also make turning harder and you will need to apply more power to make the same turn as lighter oil due to the tires fighting each other and more likely to spin out on throttle in corners if your being aggressive.

For a 2wd and the road course id maybe do 50k to give you a decent straight holeshot and the ability to be semi aggressive in the corners

hi gents, thanks for your info. i chat with some fellow racers and info are very tough to come by, especially the right info.
sound like they use 1000 diff oil. i used 40w mono grade oil for my shocks. i used the same oil for the diff. will have to see if i work.
thanks again gents.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks