Do you still use the stock power switch that comes with your 1/5th scale?

Do you still use the stock on/off switch of your 1/5th scale?

• Yes, I haven’t had issue, but this rig is new.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Yes, I have been using this rig for a very long time (1+ years)

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No, I have replaced or modded the stock switch

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No, but mine is starting to fail.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dashz

Hi, I recently found that a big issue I was having in my Baja was due to a faulty on/off switch making false contact due to the vibrations of the engine.

Now Im thinking about replacing it for a connector to plug in (like pro nitro racers do) or just buy a new switch (since I still like how convenient a switch is and I haven’t found many topics about this particular failure.)

Does someone else have had trouble with this, or you still rock the stock switch for your 1/5th rig electronics?

My stock switch failed on my Raminator. So I went to a Killer RC switch. This was before many people started having issues w vibrations shutting the switch off. Many folks are now using one of the pull out plugs or the SkyRc switch. Check it out info here.

https://www.largescaleforums.com/threads/killer-rc-rocker-switch-problem.27395/

Ultimately I still have my Killer RC installed with no issues yet, but will be going to a pull out type.

The SkyRC electronic switch is good, you just need to specs of your servos, but in Baja it's fine due to the smaller "standard" size servo for throttle/brake. It's rated at 8amp and people wonder why they go up in flames when they're running 2x steering servos, plus a 1/5 brake/throttle servo

Hobbywing make a similar one, it's rated at 10amp i think, or maybe it's 12amp

Thats a little nice switch the Skyrc one guys, thanks for the recommendation, but it basically is a other piece of electronic and complexity Ill go for the plug connector for ultimate reliability!
Im buying a couple of these skyrc switches for other applications definitely.
Omg Rick having a fault in the switch of a ramminator looks even worse!

Thats a little nice switch the Skyrc one guys, thanks for the recommendation, but it basically is a other piece of electronic and complexity Ill go for the plug connector for ultimate reliability!
Im buying a couple of these skyrc switches for other applications definitely.
Omg Rick having a fault in the switch of a ramminator looks even worse!
Luckily, I had just come out of a donut at full speed and was pulling away when mine failed. Truck just shut off and coasted to a stop in the field. Messed with the switch and got it to refire, drove 10 feet then shut down again. Switch failed internally...worst part was we were about 200 yards from my real truck, so we had to tote back the 90# monster by hand. My daughter is an awesome sport and we took turns pushing it back lol. Pic my daughter took right before it failed. Worst part was it was her turn to run it and she had been patiently waiting to get her turn lol, then couldn't.🤦‍♂️
Screenshot_20210531-104700_Video Player.jpg

Went from this set up to this.
20210417_202702.jpg

20210417_203926.jpg

Biding my time though as unfortunately I am sure a failure of this switch is inevitable based on what others have had. Will be going to the pull out style next. I like the Sky RC look, but i have 4 steering servos, 1 throttle, 1 brake, and 1 reverse servo. So a rig on 7 servos, I want something fail proof. I also just ordered the Killer RC inline fuse set up to add a lil more protection to my rig. Based on running a 2s lipo for my Rx and sending a lot of power, if something gets toasted, I want it to pop the fuse vs smoke my harness.

Last edited:
I have not killed any of the micro slide switches yet. They are a weak link in the system. If I have an issue, I can easily replace them with a small toggle switch that has better vibration ratings. The plug option would be a best solution if the mass of the plug assembly is low and secure from vibrations. Note that even the crimp on connectors and pin interface are prone to issues with vibration just as much as a mechanical slide switch, however it would require more mechanical energy to cause separation. Most slide switches are made of thin spring plates for contact onto metal pads, to make it worse, they may also have additional springs to provide contact force. I would assume they have a limited number of mechanical actuations before they crap out and are prone to failure due to vibrations.

Luckily, I had just come out of a donut at full speed and was pulling away when mine failed. Truck just shut off and coasted to a stop in the field. Messed with the switch and got it to refire, drove 10 feet then shut down again. Switch failed internally...worst part was we were about 200 yards from my real truck, so we had to tote back the 90# monster by hand. My daughter is an awesome sport and we took turns pushing it back lol. Pic my daughter took right before it failed. Worst part was it was her turn to run it and she had been patiently waiting to get her turn lol, then couldn't.🤦‍♂️
View attachment 79608

Went from this set up to this.
View attachment 79609

View attachment 79610

Biding my time though as unfortunately I am sure a failure of this switch is inevitable based on what others have had. Will be going to the pull out style next. I like the Sky RC look, but i have 4 steering servos, 1 throttle, 1 brake, and 1 reverse servo. So a rig on 7 servos, I want something fail proof. I also just ordered the Killer RC inline fuse set up to add a lil more protection to my rig. Based on running a 2s lipo for my Rx and sending a lot of power, if something gets toasted, I want it to pop the fuse vs smoke my harness.
Lol Im gonna have to find a sidekick to carry my trucks around haha, poor girl you should let her play with the truck first next time, or better yet get her a Losi or a Baja for Christmas !
Similarly I went for the skyrc but just out of curiosity to use in the Baja (as it is also cheaper if it crashes), but I went for an xt60 plug for the 5t

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks