DOT 4 Brake Fluid works soo well as paint stripper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new-fg-owner

hey guys just thought id initially start this thread to see if anyone would like further advice or to hear of my experiences of using DOT 4 Brake Fluid as paint stripper for 1/5th scale bodyshells!? id be more than happy to help anyone with my experiences or to further the discussion and knowladge on the subject.
:)

Im thinking of trying this to a fg bmw shell, its a brand new shell but previous owner used the wrong type of paint so its practically falling off:(
so some pics of before and after using dot4 method would be nice

Cheers Troy

Yeah I'd like hear your thought/process for this. I wanting to change a paint job I just did. Nothing too intense probably just to a simple 2 color scheme.

Initial questions- did it cloud the shell, how long did it take, how much brake fluid did it take etc.

I have done this to several 1/10 shells and it works well. however not all dot4 fluids work as well as others. the best one I used cost about 4-5 pounds from the local motorfactors (yellow bottle cant remember brand)
i let it soak with paper toweling lining the painted surface and it works pretty quickly. I used about 250ml per shell, once its left to soak for a while it wipes of easily. Cleans up in water too. However I let it soak overnight once and it did leave some fogging in some areas, with a light coloured paint it was not noticeable however on darker colours it could be seen.

JP

Sounds food. I'll start finding the stuff I need next week then and take it from there. I'll take my Time and probably come here if I have any questions. I'll start with a small piece and see how it goes from there.

hey guys right well it does work really quite well and for some reason if the sun gets on it and heats the shell up once the DOT4 has been applied the paint litrally just comes off on any cloth!!
But in the same breath today its taken ages to get the paint off so far i've been doing it for an entire week so its not a fast process you have to be willing to put the effort in, but its a much better cheaper alternative to forking out for a £130 new shell!!!!
I bought just bog standard DOT4 brake fluid from halfords 1litre bottle for £10.99 and i have tones left and i have done like over half a shell. don't bother trying to get it off with kitchen towel i tried that and nearly gave up!! as soon as i used a scouring pad you know colourful thing to wash the dished bog standard works amaaaazing!! doesn't bugger the shell up its great. sometimes you do need to scrub the paint off though and i have been litrally leaving the shell overnight to soak.

shell that has been cleared of paint is still perfectly clear washed it under the shower and its like glass. ill try and get some photos of it half done if i can find my camera charger.

so ya if you don't mind spending some time a few weekends or evenings doing its great, quite satisfying also when the paint comes off orr if you've dripping money off you buy a new shell but that seems crazy to me after using a bottle of brake fluid for 10quid

oh ya i forgot to say its probably obvious in how i've explained anyway but ya it definatly does not take a few hours to strip a 1/5th scale bodyshell lol no chance no way noo way like i said been doing it a week now and nearly there.

I'm in no rush really. I will literally have all day when I start though, for the rest of the week. So I'm hoping I can get it done by Thursday Friday if I start tomorrow. I'll see though, no rush. I have a hand ful of other little things I'm doing to my rig before I run it again anyway, and some other things I'm trying to get rolling. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

hey guys right heres an update, be very careful using this stuff because i have noticed some cracking around the sids of the shell little bits have cracked and become a bit weak!! so only do this if you really really wanna change your shell colour!
I only did it because the paint job was rubbish never liked it and i won the shell for a fiver on ebay year or so ago. the shell is now 100% clear totally totally clear of paint, the sun has an amazing amazing affect on this, if you apply the brake fluid and leave it in the sun it litrally just rubs off with no hazzle at all!!

so biggest tip i can offer is do it while its still warm this weekend is perfect! some elbow grease is needed though, i think you must have been lucky with your batch that came off with paper towel! oh and right all this stuff about misting and stuff what i noticed. When the brake fluid is allowed to dry with the residue of the paint it then turns misty! so what i did was got a flat screwdriver gently scratched that off, doesn't matter because shells have scratches on the roof anyway from where they have rolled!!
as for the residue and misting over the rest of the shell i just got another brillow pad and applied more brake fluid but this time wiped it off straight away with an old t shirt and BANG clear like glass. so for what under £20 i've effectivly got a brand new alfa romeo shell.

hey guys just thought id initially start this thread to see if anyone would like further advice or to hear of my experiences of using DOT 4 Brake Fluid as paint stripper for 1/5th scale bodyshells!? id be more than happy to help anyone with my experiences or to further the discussion and knowladge on the subject.
:)
Gday mate,
Can you please tell me the steps in point form how to do it as I'd like to have a go at doing it. Cheers mate

Hi Just bought a fg monster beetle fibreglass shell It's shabby and I want to respray it ! Do I just paint the brake fluid on it and wait ? Or paint it on and cover with paper towels which are soaked in brake fluid ?
Cheers
Rob

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks