Drone recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesota RC

I am looking for a low cost drone that I can use to get aerial video of the RC action besides just using a camcorder. I am looking for something that I don't necessary want to fly but rather stay up for a period of time (according to some 30 mins, which is fine) and want it to hover over an area why myself and others race around a open field and return via GPS to the starting point when battery drains. Looking at amazon there are a few that cost a couple hundred and I don't want to go full professional and spend $1500. At least a few hundred.

The more feed back the better.

Joe

30 min is a long time in the air from my experience. I'm not specifically into drones, but I would expect to shell out a few bills for something like your after. I'll do a bit of digging for you in the am.

30 min is a long time in the air from my experience. I'm not specifically into drones, but I would expect to shell out a few bills for something like your after. I'll do a bit of digging for you in the am.
I found a few that I like on the good ol' evil corporation Amazon, but would like a couple of opinions before I comment. Don't take this the wrong way, but I can do some searching myself, but I appreciate your help - you're :cool: ; I am looking for someone who does have drones and experiences with all sorts.

I am looking for a low cost drone that I can use to get aerial video of the RC action besides just using a camcorder. I am looking for something that I don't necessary want to fly but rather stay up for a period of time (according to some 30 mins, which is fine) and want it to hover over an area why myself and others race around a open field and return via GPS to the starting point when battery drains. Looking at amazon there are a few that cost a couple hundred and I don't want to go full professional and spend $1500. At least a few hundred.

The more feed back the better.

Joe
I have a lot of experience with drones. I fly them professionally. In my experience the best option in the prosumer market is DJI. The mavic mini is a great option for the price, but any drone will have closer to a 20 minute run time.

I liked the Parrot Anafi. It can do everything you are looking for plus it wont break the bank. I also have and like the DJI mavic Platinum. Haven't used it in a while but is a good drone. Also gets 27min fly time. Just make sure you don't live in an area that's lockdown by DJI.

I have a lot of experience with drones. I fly them professionally. In my experience the best option in the prosumer market is DJI. The mavic mini is a great option for the price, but any drone will have closer to a 20 minute run time.
I was looking at the mini as well and for what it can do, the price isn't bad.

@misterleon Have you heard of Holy Stone? There is one that's a few hundred and its has a good review.

I was looking at the mini as well and for what it can do, the price isn't bad.

@misterleon Have you heard of Holy Stone? There is one that's a few hundred and its has a good review.
The holy stone is missing obstacle avoidance. Obstacle avoidance is super important if you are a new flyer. Also the mavic mini will have the return to home feature and you can even pre route a flight plan on your phone so that you can just take off and forget it. My advice is to not fly without having an eye on the drone, but it’s your world and you can do what you want.

The holy stone is missing obstacle avoidance. Obstacle avoidance is super important if you are a new flyer. Also the mavic mini will have the return to home feature and you can even pre route a flight plan on your phone so that you can just take off and forget it. My advice is to not fly without having an eye on the drone, but it’s your world and you can do what you want.
With your experience in doing it professionally, and you make a very valid point, I will take your advise on not flying it without an eye on the drone, and wait until I am ready to commit to buy and learn to fly it.

I picked up a DJI Marvic Mini back in Dec. I picked it up for the very reasons you want one. I've only flown it a couple of times indoors so far which isn't very safe due to not have GPS signals indoors. Do your research is the best thing I can tell you. I read a lot of reviews and watched a lot of videos before I picked it up .IMG_20191204_170622.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks