Dual Battery Packs - Rx and Servo's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleraggy

Hi there, I'm looking for advice on setting up a radio system in my 1/3rd scale speedway car. I'm going to run a JR 3 channel FM radio, Hitec 1/4 scale servo's (dual servo's for steering, single for throttle/brake) and a Venom fail safe unit. I'm wondering if I should consider running multiple battery packs to handle all the electronics? Maybe one for Rx and throttle servo, and a separate one for the dual steering servo's? Has anyone done something like this before? Is it possible to do, or more to the point should I even try it? I have heard that running too much amp draw through the receiver is also a bad thing, and that some large scale guys set ups have a different way of wiring. The signal wire to the servos come from the Rx and the power is supplied direct from the battery to the servo's? I'm not great on this whole wiring caper, so if anyone out there has experience in it and could possibly sketch it out that would be appreciated!

My biggest concern is that with all the current draw from the steering, my run times will be minimal. The last thing I want is for this beast to go AWOL on me!!!

i would not be conserned with running more then 1 reciever pack. we run dual 1/4 scale stearing servo's plus 4 wheel disc brakes on a 3000mah pack. that is good for at least 3 tanks(almost 2 hours.) the reciever pack i linked will give you many hours of run time. http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6098/.f

i would consider ditching that failsafe. it will only work if you go out of range or loose battery power. servo linkage binding or or servo failure will dcreate mass carnage as the motor is still running. with a half way decant radio, going out of range is a thing of the past.. check this failsafe out. it works on the 3rd channel and you can kill the motor from the radio. it will also kill the motor automaticly if anything else happens. loss of signal, low reciever,transmiter battery, loose servo wires.. this is what will protect your rig and bystanders
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3569/.f
this one works the same from the 3rd channel, so you can turn the motor off at the radio incase of problems.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3560/.f

That's great info, thanks mate! I'll order one of those units for sure.

So it's OK to to run the battery straight through the Rx, and simply plug the servo's in. Sounds so easy, even I could do it! :huh:

DieCastManiaShow-30112008047.gif

THAT THING IS WILD!! you have to get us more pics and a vid of that thing in action.. some specs would be great too! What motor you got in their?

oh ya. just plug it in to the on/off switch, then the switch to the reciever. no more then 6volts though. a standard large scale reciever pack would be perfect

Thanks mate, it's a 1/3rd scale of Mike Figliomeni's speedway speedcar, or 'midget' as they are more often referred to. I went for 1/3rd scale mainly due to the availability of the rims. They are made for 1/4 scale cars but since a speedcar is smaller than a sprintcar in real life, they were pretty much bang on 1/3rd scale. Engine is out of a mini moto GP bike. It's a chinese copy of a Polini 50cc water cooled 2 stroke. If I'm to believe the sales pitch it's a 12 horsepower engine as standard. It should go OK, I hope :w00t:

It's yet to run on a track, but I did take a short video of it during mock up stages of the build and placed it on Youtube. I don't remember the exact name of the file (and Youtube is banned here at work so I can't check) but if you type in 1/3rd RC Fighter, I think it should be there somewhere!

02102008001.gif

03102008002.gif

08102008008.gif

28102008032.gif

28102008048.gif

very nice

i think one battery pack is fine, i used to run 2 x 1/4 scale digital servos and a 1 x standard size digital throttle brake serov on a 4600 nmh battery pack and get a bllody good run time (hours)

I run a 3 cel lipo battery and use a castle bec to step the voltage down to 6 volts. I can run all weekend without fear of running out of juice. Plenty of available power that way

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I've ordered the Killer Bee No.4 kit switch and hope to install it as soon as it arrives. I'll also be adding a couple of other bits and pieces to the driveline to keep the chain tensioned better. With a bit of luck (and some free time) I'll run it soon for the first time! My fiancee will video it to show you guys :)

and everytime I check the thread I can see the sprint racing on speed channel in my head. that's some crazy stuff. always enjoyed watching that racing, be cool to see it rc style

I can see why you're smiling in the last pic, that car is sweeeet, love the 50cc kettle...very cool.
If it's anywhere near 12hp it'll be mental.

D'ya build it yourself??

Hi mate, yes the car was built by me. The frame, body work, tyres, axles etc were hand built. I bought the rims from Bulldogs Products in the UK, and the motor from a guy in Melbourne. Other bits and pieces like rod ends and fuel tank were bought as well

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks