Dwarfy's Monster Truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwarfy

Hi Guys.
I have always wanted a monster truck but for what ever reason never had one and I think the FG MT is a really good looking truck so decided that building one will help me get back into the hobby and will sit nice with my 2wd standard marder and 4wd beetle with Stevo engine.

I have a spare marder in bits that I never got round to fully building up (bought as a wreck with a poop load of spares) so that will be my donor and so far I have picked up a mint set of MT wheels, front shock mount, switch blade kill switch, mint Samba exhaust and a set of hydros although these may end up on the bug and the cables come across to the MT. Will just use a single shock set up front and back to keep it simple.

Engine wise it will have a CY with 27cc DDM ported head kit. Had this running in the bug before I got the Stevo engine and it is fast as fook so should go well with the Samba pipe. Wheelies galore :nailbiting:

Still to buy:
New T/B servo - looking at K-Power DHV300 28kgs @ 6v for this. Any other options welcome!
Side guards - checking out ebay for these or could make some easy enough
Body shell - used FG MT shells in decent condition are hard to come by and they are a fortune new so been looking at the Maverick Blackout shells which can be made to fit and only £60 new for pre-painted or clear. It makes more sense but undecided yet. Not sure how either shell would sit with the Samba pipe though??

As usual it will be a plastic build (never had a problem with FG plastics) so no fancy ally although I do have a full set of ally MT arms and a few other bits n bobs I could use (all came with the wreck I bought) but they need cleaning up and new rose joints so maybe I will change them over in time.

No pics at the minute folks but I will get some posted as I go along. Got the 1:1 car to work on this weekend so might be a bit of a delayed start lol! Ah well no rush after 3yrs out lol! Good to be back :)

MT wheels off ebay, apparently used but you cant tell. Bit of a bargain at £60

Attachments

• 20180326_181923.jpg
    20180326_181923.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 17
Agree on the quality of the FG shells and it will give the full look I am after. It will be my last purchase so got a couple of weeks to decide.

All links much appreciate though mate. Its been a while so forgot most of them lol! I was looking for Freeprawn the other week but it would seem they have closed down.

That’s great you’re making another FG, I’ve made a few over the years. Spurned on by the amount of spares I’d aquired through eBay. It amazing how much I’d gathered.
I’m like James, I’d go for the original FG MT shell if you can find one. Nice looking truck! My FG MB was single shock setup when new, but converted it to 4WD and then added the twin shock setup.

Not much to update on this.........1:1 repairs have taken priority! Literally just bought some side rails for £20......bargain lol! Only the shell and the build

Got a bit done last night and will get the engine and kill switch fitted this weekend. Engine will be a CY with 27cc DDM ported head kit mated to a samba pipe. Gearing will 18/46 for now and will see how it goes

Attachments

• IMG_20180504_162427.jpg
    IMG_20180504_162427.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20180504_164446.jpg
    IMG_20180504_164446.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20180504_164518.jpg
    IMG_20180504_164518.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 18
The roll cage is welded ally so needs changing for the MT cage with the braces to the front shock tower. That may be with me tomorrow.

I still need to get the front axle plate to mount the MT shock tower. Other than that it will run single shocks which is fine but I still need a body shell. A clear Maverick shell is £52 from Modelsport and it makes financial sense at the minute compared to £130 for an FG shell.

Done a bit more on the build. Made a front axle plate today and got the new roll cage on and front end. Need some MT front arms though so will pick some up next week.

Ordered a FG MT front end off eBay for £25 on Saturday night which will solve my problem of the single shock and marder arms not lining up with the shock tower and I can have the proper MT twin shock set up so happy days. New fuel pipe and shock o-rings arrived this morning......things are coming together. Still undecided on the body shell but the maverick blackout makes financial sense. I can buy that and a decent steering servo for the cost of an FG shell. Also need steering servo and new radio gear.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks