Elcon Helical Gear Set worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

hi guys, is the Elcon Helical Gear set worth it over normal gears, they claim its much smoother & less noise, but is it worth the asking price (just over £100) for the set of 4 + carrier?

atm im using steel gears & its damn noisy lol, are the helical gears that much smoother?

heres the set im looking at:
http://www.elcon-models.com/product.php?id_product=435
would you say the gearing combo is good? i emailed elcon & they said this is the best set for the FG MT? i have an FG tuned pipe & zen 29cc 4-bolt engine

cheers :)

expensive and not needed for bashing:D

just a thought i wonder why the racing mini's from way back used to use

straight cut gears in there gearboxes instead of helical gears that where in

the standard mini gear box at the time:lol::lol:

K....

Daz, just a question?
Do you hear the gears once the engine's fired up and the truck's running?
Al.

hiya mate :)

nah only when running, makes a right fkin racket! ..it aint the diff cuz its pretty much a new diff (just standard not LSD or owt) but i got a new diff now on way which is adjustable.

Checked all the bearings & clutch bell etc, so i can only assume now its defo the gears, it runs fine etc when running just a horrible noise, although you cant hear the noise when giving it some juice as the engine/pipe overshadows it lol :)

when i turn the wheels by hand everything runs freely & smooth with nowt catching etc

im running all steel gears on the bug and once 6-7hp is let loose and the vrc pipe sings its little song i cant hear poop other than power lol i cant hear the gears

The straight cut gears handle more power but are noisier. Helical gears tend to place a side force onto the layshaft as the gears not only want to spin but they want to push out in the direction of the teeth.

Mini's with straight cut gears they sound great.... Big mini fan here....

As for my Baja... I run straight cut gears and I have noticed when perfectly clean they do make some noise so I coat my gears in stuff called squirt... It's a dry chain lube made for mountian bikes. It's a liquid wax that dries overnight and shuts the gears right up... Not had any problems with it so far... Much cheaper then New gears just for a bit of noise.

Although I do like the look of the helical gears myself.. :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks