Electric Conversion Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr-Mike

Build Thread Contributor
Hello everyone. First post. As is commonplace when we (the collective 'we') start a new project, we seek out info. That is what brings me here. I decided to post because I don't know what I don't know and figured that by starting a thread as I start the project, I may avoid a few mistakes.

So I will jump straight in. I just bought a new FG F1 Competition. It is also my first ready-to-run RC car. In case anyone is interested, it needed quite a bit of attention. It would have run OK out of the box, but it needed a considerable amount of tweaking. Not a bad thing and I didn't mind in the least, but heads-up.

Anyway, I did not run it, didn't even start it nor add a drop of fuel. Instead I pulled the engine and fuel tank, and stripped the chassis. I will re-machine the chassis spars and pan, make new bracing and fabricate mounts for; motor, ESC, servos (steering servo will be relocated between the front wishbones), receiver and possibly relocate the mech brake lines and make new cable support blocks.

I plan on ordering (tomorrow) an MGM 40063 ESC and LMT 3080 or 30100 motor. I heard concern that the 40063 ESC will not run the '100' motor to maximum potential..? Still contemplating that one. The car gets a MKS HBL599 brake servo, Spektrum S9010 steering servo and a Futaba R334SBS receiver. It will run on 14S 5000 mAh power.

Well that's the plan anyway.... If a decent conversion kit existed for this car, I would have gone that route, but since I am stuck DIY, I will go all-in and be creative.

If anyone has similar experience or thoughts, please chime in.

Cheers and thanks,

Great thought. That one won't work but LMT makes one apparently. It would make a good starting point. I will have to something with the spur gear shaft bearing but nothing too wild. Thanks for that evssv!

plan1.jpg

Waiting now for electrics, probably a couple of weeks... I will start on a front servo mount. have the front chassis spars off and ready to machine. just need the motor and ESC for precise measurements.

It will be 14s. MGM because I couldn't find anything better. Always open to ideas.

Thanks Jimbo!

A record? Hmmm, what is it currently? I was going to get one of those 'Limitless' cars and go for speed but I just wasn't moved by it in person (no pun intended). Speeds for the smaller cars are commonly above 100mph it seems. Heck, my XRAY 1/8 buggy does an honest (gps) 74mph and there is plenty more if I want it. I don't think it's that common to get one of these 1/5 scales above the century mark though. That's my goal.

Yes good point jimbo1, I do think the 2wd and tires will be a concern.

Cheers!

Believe me guys the physics about this has me doubtful as well and I know all that power is wasted because it won't be accessible (meaning usable). Probably end up running 50% end points and long shallow throttle curves. I'm not delusional in any respect, I just wanted to do build to this spec and some custom machining - a few upgrades and of course layout/mounting.

I saw a guy on YT with an 8s and a somewhat smallish 400kv motor hitting high 80mph. He was running a 1:1 ratio at the pinion. He claimed handling was excellent.

I will start with the stock a 1.74:1 reduction at the pinion and the monster-size LMT30100 is 840kv (5 turns) on 14s. In theory that is a calculated 126mph. Actual will be slower due to gear friction, tire friction, wind, heat, etc. That seems reasonable (rather possible) if, as noted, the power can be controlled. Then I will try various pinions and spurs.
[as a note: the ESC (MGM TTM40063) power limitation is 25.2Kw ~ 34hp - the larger 80063 is too big]

I am looking at rear wheel and tire options (perhaps drag tires?). And I am thinking about other options/design methods that would aid stability as well as suspension mods.

If you have any thoughts about improving control, I would be most grateful!!

Below is the 'complex' gear train and calculations. Tire circumference is 16.97 inches (Pi * dia.).

gear-train.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks