Engine I.D. and replacement motor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbyrd47119

Hello all,

New here with an stock HPI 5b. Trying to figure out what motor it has in it and then trying to figure out what I need to buy to bump up the dispacment from 23 to 26 or so. Im hoping there is a head, crank, piston combo that I can drop in without hacing to outright buy a new motor.

Thanks,
Justin T.

I do but Im on my phone and don't know how to post the pics. I see a serial or model number that starts off CY11 but I cant see the rest without digging into the car.

being a stock hpi it'll be a cy23 or cy26. look at the base of the cylinder head i believe on the clutch side, there will be some numbers, if its a 23cc it'll be 28-32 and if its a 26 it'll be a 28-34.

ok so it is a Chung Yang engine, does the head have 2 bolts or 4 bolts?

Sorry, missed this post.

Where am I looking to determine if its two or four bolt? Iv never taken the engine cover off so hopefully not under there!

Thanks again for any help fellas!

look at the bottom og the cooling fins the head...........will either be 2 diagonally across from each other or will be 4 one in each corner

look at the bottom og the cooling fins the head...........will either be 2 diagonally across from each other or will be 4 one in each corner

Is this within the pull start? Afraid I simply don't understand where exactly you mean. A picture is worth a thousand words though...

it'll be a 2 bolt. cy makes a 4 bolt 27cc, they don't make a 4 bolt 23 or 26.

to make your 23 a 26 all you need is a cylinder kit for a cy26. you can go further and build a 27cc with a cy27 cylinder kit, or you can build a 29cc with the top end for a gp290 , providing you get the 38mm boss version. past that you can buy cylinder kits with the crankshaft and build a stroker motor, anything you want from 23cc to 30.5cc. there are also kits with ported cylinders for even more power.

check out ddm, im sure you will be overwhelmed with everything they have

it'll be a 2 bolt. cy makes a 4 bolt 27cc, they don't make a 4 bolt 23 or 26.

to make your 23 a 26 all you need is a cylinder kit for a cy26. you can go further and build a 27cc with a cy27 cylinder kit, or you can build a 29cc with the top end for a gp290 , providing you get the 38mm boss version. past that you can buy cylinder kits with the crankshaft and build a stroker motor, anything you want from 23cc to 30.5cc. there are also kits with ported cylinders for even more power.

check out ddm, im sure you will be overwhelmed with everything they have

Fantastic!

Do you (or anyone else) have a sugguestion as to which is the better way to go? I hear that 27cc is a type of sweet spot in regard to RPM. With that said Im hoping to find a cheapish way of doing this upgrade. Seeing as motors are more expensive...ya know what I mean?

Thanks again!

i cant really comment on what would be the best way to go, im an onroad guy, 23cc is what works best for what im doing.

from what ive read a 27 is a good balance, however the 28.5 is popular (36mm bore 28mm stroke). im going to let the offroad guys step in here with their recommendation

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks