Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Large Scale RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Large Scale RC!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Engine Upgrade

Discussion in 'HPI Baja' started by PappaD, Feb 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. PappaD

PappaD Well-Known Member

When my 5b comes in I want to upgrade the engine. Some say CY engines aren't that great. What is the best engine upgrade?

2. Yamadude

Yamadude Well-Known Member

Alot depends on what your looking to do with your Baja there are so many combos thats its hard to just pick one and say its the best.Raw power,top speed the list is huge and getting bigger all the time.

3. Jeremy1976

Jeremy1976 Well-Known Member

I'm upgrading mine with the ported 27.2cc Zenoah motor.

4. marder69

marder69 Well-Known Member

Why not try one of the 26cc 4 bolt helli tuned egines if your looking for power nothing can beat them!!! But there are other little things to do to them that are really cheap mods!

5. PappaD

PappaD Well-Known Member

Really looking for overall performance. I mean don't we want it all!! LOL I guess I just need to research a liitle.

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Try looking at the Reed ported Engine from O'Neill brothers.

A Reed Engine is way better than most other tuned engines, unless you want to spend US$ 1000 on an Oddified Heli Tune.

Off course, if Money is No Object, then Oddified has a Heli Tune with NOS, making a documented 8.1HP with a 2.5HP NOS Nozzle. he also has a 5HP Nozzle for it... but price is most likely in the US$ 2000-3000 range.(he has offerred the Prototype for sale at reasonable bids, don't know if it has been sold yet)

7. PappaD

PappaD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I think 8hp may be a little extreme but would be fun to try to control. I just want something that will push the limits of the car. I hate it when the car can out perform the engine.

8. marder69

marder69 Well-Known Member

Alro do a 26cc engine which is giving out 5bhp so add a good pipe and filter and you got more! £330 not sure what that is in $ sorry guys but there is loads and loads of all round power and i belive he will tune it for what you want it for!! Hope this helps?

9. crrcboatz

crrcboatz Active Member

Oneill Bros. has what you are looking for. Do a search and ask for Shawn. They are a west cost vendor. You will get great service and their work is very good. I have 4 of their engines.

Curt

10. No Moa

No Moa Well-Known Member

The CY engines are fine, i have 3 of them, NO problams. I certainly wouldn't be affaid of getting one. There is some on fleabay right now, starting bid $150 for a chromed out 27CY or a 29CY.
    User "thegunshop" Check it out.