Exhaust bolts breaking loose from vibration....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteolheadz100

Noticed my screws keep getting loose on the exhaust because the stock gasket that comes with the tuned pipe isnt sealing, vibration breaks bolts loose. Any suggestions on using the DDM graphite gaskets or silicone red rtv gasket maker? Using blue loctite they still come loose. The tuned pipe i am using is from the dunerunner not my original one hat comes with the rampage chimera. It has no support bracket at the end to hold it loke the stock one but it sure is bolted tight , don't knlw what i can do......suggestions would be appreciated

You need to make a support bracket along with a rubber vibration damper to cut that down. I don't use any loctite on mine and I have no issues with that. That pipe is vibrating like crazy with no support, plus that is really hard on your screw threads and everything else with that weight hanging off like that unsupported

You need to make a support bracket along with a rubber vibration damper to cut that down. I don't use any loctite on mine and I have no issues with that. That pipe is vibrating like crazy with no support, plus that is really hard on your screw threads and everything else with that weight hanging off like that unsupported
The thing is since this is not the pipe for my car it has no way to strap to rollcage, all i can think of is tie wrap it but don't knkw how that will do. I removed the warped gasket that came with the pipe and just mounted it with blue loctite and ultra coller rtv....lets see how it holds up. The gasket had a leak and was spitting oil on the underside 20180319_205401.jpg 20180319_203810.jpg 20180319_203720.jpg

By what i understand he bolts come loose when there is a gap between the gasket and the screw, hence why others say rtv works well because its flexible and dampens the vibration plus being bolted tight it creates a good seal....

Noticed my screws keep getting loose on the exhaust because the stock gasket that comes with the tuned pipe isnt sealing, vibration breaks bolts loose. Any suggestions on using the DDM graphite gaskets or silicone red rtv gasket maker? Using blue loctite they still come loose. The tuned pipe i am using is from the dunerunner not my original one hat comes with the rampage chimera. It has no support bracket at the end to hold it loke the stock one but it sure is bolted tight , don't knlw what i can do......suggestions would be appreciated
this is an easy fix, DDM sell a screw kit with safety wire. I believe by bartolone racing. Just use a new stock exhaust gasket only and clean the matting surfaces. Screw in you header bolts till there snug and safety wire them together. So the way it works is the screws have holes in them for the safety wire to go through and twist the wire. Find the process on y tube. safety wire locks the screws together, if one screw tries to loosens the other screw keeps it tight in its place. the principle is opposing forces. It works great I use it presently, I believe its $ 10.00. your good to go!!!good luck

this is an easy fix, DDM sell a screw kit with safety wire. I believe by bartolone racing. Just use a new stock exhaust gasket only and clean the matting surfaces. Screw in you header bolts till there snug and safety wire them together. So the way it works is the screws have holes in them for the safety wire to go through and twist the wire. Find the process on y tube. safety wire locks the screws together, if one screw tries to loosens the other screw keeps it tight in its place. the principle is opposing forces. It works great I use it presently, I believe its $ 10.00. your good to go!!!good luck
Thank you will look into that option, have you personally tried them?

Looking at those pictures...Are the holes for the screws/bolts in that header recessed into the header?? That may make it a little more difficult for the bart kit to work..don't know what the clearance for the safety wire would be...but the kit DOES generally work. I have a Victory pipe i could NEVER get to seal right...could never tighten the header down because of the curve in the header. The kit comes w/ bolts you can tighten with a wrench...thread the wire through the bolts....just like machine head said...they keep each themselves tight. Its not that expensive either....if it doesn't work beacuse of the clearance....you are not out that much $$

http://www.davesmotors.com/Bartolone-Racing-Pipe-Wire-Kit.html

Stage 8 makes a kit too but that didnt work for me...i could never get their little locking washer clip thing to set in a position where it would stop the bolt from backing out a little.....but it might work for your situation...it comes with spacers that fit over the bolt...might give the clearance needed to set the retaining clip things in place.

http://www.davesmotors.com/Stage-8-...for-R-C-Exhaust-Manifolds-AB1005008020F3.html

Yes the bolts on the header are countersunk but actually I went ahead and used Ultra copper RTV and torque the bolts down really snug with the Allen wrench which I wasn't doing before I was only hand tightening it so that's more than likely the reason why it was coming loose so far I have five tanks through the car and nothing has come loose yet. Also that stock gasket was already crushed and was not making a good seal also contributing to the boats loosening up

Thatseems youre asking a lot from those bolts.
Really those blots are only intended to provide a flush seal to the head, Not intended to carry the weight of the entire exhaust.
Could you make a little bracket that attaches to the chassis and tack weld it to the exhaust somewhere in the middle to carry the load of the exhaust pipe?20180413_094844.png

Might not look pretty but would possibly take some of the load off the manifold bolts.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks