Exploding DBXL Front Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmanandrewk

Was running yesterday and the LF shredded and threw half of itself 50ft into the air. I read up on ballooning issues and so I tore both fronts apart, gorilla taped the foams, and mounted them back up with a new LF. 20 minutes into running today and my RF shreds! What's the deal?!? Are the stock tires just crap? I ballooned the tires on my Savage for years and never had to replace one. Would no grow foams solve this, or do I just need better tires??

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• WP_20160318_005.jpg
    WP_20160318_005.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 21
I seen a video of some guy's bashing in Britain they took out the foam and drilled an 1/8 inch hole through the tire and rim no more boom boom

I seen a video of some guy's bashing in Britain they took out the foam and drilled an 1/8 inch hole through the tire and rim no more boom boom

I vent all my tires, works wonders. What diff fluid are you using? Assuming your bashing, I found 30k/300K/10k diff fluid works great for my driving. Depending on what motor your using, 100k in the center diff will reduce most ballooning.

I have an ESP 30.5 so the thing screams. I ordered zero growth foams and also 200k diff fluid. I really would love to lock the center but I don't wanna start breaking things on landings. Is 300k still forgiving? I'm not very experienced with diff fluids.

The tire venting thing sounds interesting but after shredding two I'd hate to create a weak point on brand new tires.

Well after putting 200k in the center and putting Hostile zero-growths in I lost another front tire, this time one I've already replaced. These have got to be the crappiest tires ever. I had a Baja for years and never had a tire issue. I just ordered Hostile Mini MX's in hard compound to hopefully avoid this ever happening again.

Dizb7cB.jpg

Last edited:
Well after putting 200k in the center and putting Hostile zero-growths in I lost another front tire, this time one I've already replaced. These have got to be the crappiest tires ever. I had a Baja for years and never had a tire issue. I just ordered Hostile Mini MX's in hard compound and I swear if I rip one of them I'm getting out of this hobby.

Good luck......

FYI for anyone reading this: The Hostile mini MX tires ONLY fit HPI Baja 5B fronts. I am down for another weekend because I didn't realize this. Luckily DDM is very understanding, and I have a set of J Concepts Chaser tires on the way. They are only medium compound but I'm hoping they are overall just a better tire that will be less prone to ripping in the first place. I also went ahead and tore the front diff down and replaced the grease in it with 200k diff fluid. I know that's really thick for the front but I already had it so if it gives me too much trouble I'll just order something more suited and won't be out anything but time.

Last edited:
The chaser's look GREAT on the DBXL. We got quite a bit of rain last night so I'm not sure if I'm gonna get a chance to run them today but the fit, finish, and appearance of the J Concepts Chasers are top-notch.
QHYY5Ri.jpg
TP7oAaP.jpg

I haven't had any problems with my stock tires, I did put 100k center diff fluid in pretty quick though. I might just lock up the center diff next week but I've had them pretty pancaked and didn't have it blow out. Must be lucky. Swapped to trenchers for more traction wit the bartolone g320. I still pancake those on the street lol, got some 60k for the front o haven't put in yet.

H
FYI for anyone reading this: The Hostile mini MX tires ONLY fit HPI Baja 5B fronts. I am down for another weekend because I didn't realize this. Luckily DDM is very understanding, and I have a set of J Concepts Chaser tires on the way. They are only medium compound but I'm hoping they are overall just a better tire that will be less prone to ripping in the first place. I also went ahead and tore the front diff down and replaced the grease in it with 200k diff fluid. I know that's really thick for the front but I already had it so if it gives me too much trouble I'll just order something more suited and won't be out anything but time.

Would you be so kind please to post a link to the tyres you bought as I don't wish to make the same mistake and buy the wrong ones? Had a front blow out on grass today!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks