Extending range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,

I would like to know if can make use of any antenna to extend the range of my transmitter or must I stick with the transmitter type or power? My transmitter only had a small stubby About 1 inch long. My receiver has standard line which I put in a plastic sleeve. It's about 4 inches long

I have fs-gr3a transmitter / receiver. Not sure if the issue is in transmitter or receiver side but the range is very short. Maybe 20m radius if I am lucky in open field. The receiver antena seems short at 150mm. I don't know enough but I think I should exchange the antennas on both ends. Batteries are fully charged both ends.

the range should be 500ft or around 150meters mate,
i've seen/heard rhat there are issues with fltsky antennas breaking inside there sheath, so possibly thats what has happened with yours,
is the tx-rx new? if so then see if you can claim under warranty for duff range,
or upgrade your tx-rx , a new gt3c is only around £55 ($62),
or if funds allow then get yerself a futaba (y)

the range should be 500ft or around 150meters mate,
i've seen/heard rhat there are issues with fltsky antennas breaking inside there sheath, so possibly thats what has happened with yours,
is the tx-rx new? if so then see if you can claim under warranty for duff range,
or upgrade your tx-rx , a new gt3c is only around £55 ($62),
or if funds allow then get yerself a futaba (y)
I second the futaba.

Thanks. I saw some guys opening up the receiver and soldering a replacement antenna. That something worth while and if so can I get any 2.4ghz antenna, cut the end and solder it? Looks like an easy enough hack job.
The receiver is not new no and the antenna does look a little battered. I put in a plastic sleeve to protect it

My antena on the receiver does not have this stripped end. Not sure if it broke off or what but that is how i received it. I read that you only need this stripped end and the rest is just an extension with zero benefit. I took the car out yesterday and when it went out of range it suddenly behaved insane and went off on a tangent at full power, instead of putting on automatic brakes. Luckily into a wire fence and not off too another county. I read that faulty antennas can cause this type of weird behaviour. That true?
The other option is to replace with a new tx-rx, but that means both ends right? Cannot just get a better receiver and pair it to existing transmitter? Silly questions, but I am really dumb here. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-19 111858.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-19 111858.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 2
the antenna will be a specific length to work with the rx mate, the stripped end could also be a specific length as well, you will need an antenna the correct length for your rx, best bet is get one from flysky,
you had a runaway cos you went out of range, i'm assuming its a petrol/gas car you have?
if so then you need a remote killswitch, killer rc super bee or similar,
if it is a petrol car then when it goes out of range the servos will just stay in the position you had em when you were using the car,
or your failsafe could be set to go full throttle instead of full brake,
when all said and done you could get a new rx and rebind to your tx, but as its unknown what the issue is (but does seem to point towards rx)
your best bet is start afresh with a new tx/rx,

I ordered a replacement fsgt3c rx with its own antenna. I will bind it and see if it solved the issue. On the current rx the failsafe is set to full brake and it always worked except for yesterday. Something suggest something went wrong with the antena wire causing it to go bat sh%t crazy.

Yes I have a petrol rc 2stroke 1:5 buggy

I ordered a replacement fsgt3c rx with its own antenna. I will bind it and see if it solved the issue. On the current rx the failsafe is set to full brake and it always worked except for yesterday. Something suggest something went wrong with the antena wire causing it to go bat sh%t crazy.

Yes I have a petrol rc 2stroke 1:5 buggy
all ya can do is see what happens then mate, if the new rx doesn't bind then get a full gt3c tx and rx and then at least you will have a spare rx (y),
plus if any others on here see this they will all tell you to get a remote killswitch, and never run without one,
the remote kill will kill the engine so you don't have any run aways (y),
you got lucky just hitting a fence the first time, its if you have a run away and the car hits something expensive or somebody thats the problem,
plus even if the car just hits something solid then you're gonna have an expensive repair bill yourself,
a remote kill will work out way cheaper than an rc rebuild when all said and done (y)

That's a good point. It actually went between cars, did a 720 and turned by itself and went into a fence. A big lucky with that one but very strange. This remote kill switch... I saw all lot for electric cars and they are cheap but nothing for a 30cc 2stroke. That kill switch on the motor is a physical engine kill switch.

Why did you say, if it does not bind.?is there issues between not sold together rxs and txs? There should be some frequencies on which all these run and the transmitter searches for the best one? No? Technically it does not matter right?

Last edited:
Nothing quite like comments to put a damper on asking questions. Jesus man. I am new to this area and trying to figure out what is best. Bought the car without remote kill switch and I think all 5B bajas come without, and if you like me, you would think that the producer has thought of issues like this. clearly not. If you see my early comments, I did not even know about remote kill switches but I am keen to get. I have a 2channel transmitter and 3channel receiver. From research and trying not to be ignorant and cheap, I saw that thes to tx wont accept the kill switch and therefore I need to get a 3channel tx. Thanks to most for positive support.

Nothing quite like comments to put a damper on asking questions. Jesus man. I am new to this area and trying to figure out what is best. Bought the car without remote kill switch and I think all 5B bajas come without, and if you like me, you would think that the producer has thought of issues like this. clearly not. If you see my early comments, I did not even know about remote kill switches but I am keen to get. I have a 2channel transmitter and 3channel receiver. From research and trying not to be ignorant and cheap, I saw that thes to tx wont accept the kill switch and therefore I need to get a 3channel tx. Thanks to most for positive support.
don't get disheartened mate, we get so many people on here who don't use the search function for the forum and just repeat there questions over and over, that can get frustrating for us regulars that have been on here a long time, the whole remote killswitch thing is a particular thing that just keeps on coming up tbh,
(i'm not saying you're one of those),
you will find you do need a fairly thick skin on this forum, and a good sense of humour :D,
sean is usually straight to the point but he's a top fella and has a wealth of knowledge to go with it (y),
keep asking the questions, but also have a good look around the forum cos there are loads of threads with plentiful info that will help you as well (y)(y),

Depending on the situation usually the end user of a company's product is on the hook for liability damages or criminal liability. It's an rc car so the liability will fall on the end user to use common sense and be responsible for the operation of the vehicle in a resting or state of motion. We strongly recommend the use of a killswitch for the simple fact that we depend heavily on a radio system to control the vehicle remotely and various issues can arise from stray radio signals(very rare or non existent now) to mechanical failures of throttle servos so that's why it's imperative to have a guaranteed way to shut the rigs down before an unfortunate situation arises from something that could have been prevented. You need to prepare for the what if and also have a good understanding that this rc vehicle can potentially harm someone or make you financially liable to fix damages.

For instance I was curious as how much kinetic energy my 5t posses at a speed of 49 miles an hour at a weight of 45 lbs and it has a kinetic mass of 3,611lbs. If it was to slam into something it wont end well for either the rig or what it hit. I wanted to know because my uncle hit his son with my last 5t and I couldn't believe how fast it knocked the kid off his feet. So seriously if we suggest something it's not to just spend your money and we recommend from experience.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes i was trying to figure out why this happened and I tracked the issue to a faulty on/off switch for the servos and receiver. I need to replace this as well with a replacement switch. I was thinking of a waterproofed replacement. Any recommendations? That is scary that a disconnect from the battery/or dead battery can cause the car to continue uncontrollably with the last input given.
I am definitely getting a kill switch.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks