Extra 5.5cc for $50...? Is it worth it? 30.5cc or 36cc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meowy84

To get everyone up to speed I'm in the final 'research' stage before buying a rovan 305A buggy. And now notice the rovan 360a version for only $50 more. With the additional maintenance items I want to get (extra clutch, plug, extra tires, etc...) for the 305A what was supposed to be a $500 car is now close to $800, so what's another $50 right? LOL.

Here's the question, and I realize it's very subjective. Is the extra 5.5cc worth it for general running around? Is it worth the extra $50? I've seen a 30.5cc vs. 36cc romparo video and wasn't much of a difference in performance. The 36cc had a bit more oomph but what it gained on the straightaway it lost at the corners. Anyways I prefer a more robust/reliable rc/engine combo rather that more performance. Does anyone know any major flaws in one or the other engine in stock form? Maybe the 36cc puts out too much heat and is known for melting some plastic chassis part, maybe one has a better stock carb than the other or maybe one has some other inherent flaw, etc....things like that......Comments welcome. Cheers!

Show me an engine that won't/can't blow up.....I just want to to avoid the one that is likely to do it sooner. ;)

For instance is the 36 is a bored/stroked version of the 30.5 at the limits of it's overbore capability but with the same crankcase as the 30.5? In other words do the 2 engines differ primarily in the head bore/stroke or is the crankcase casting different (beefier) as well in the 36? That's sort of what I'm tying to establish. Can't really find too much info on that online.

Thanks Z.hb71 for he crankcase clarification.
Also, yes I realize I can just throw some more $$ into the equation and get a higher quality engine but I'm starting with a stock baja and going from there and so in the meantime until the stock engine does "blow up" I'll run it and so I'm basically asking about differences (good and/or bad) between the stock 30.5 and stock 36 engine, any known issues that would favor one over the other?

They gave you an answer that your not happy with, both are equally garbage due to them being clones. So at this point just close your eyes and pick one.

Age old saying is there's no replacement for displacement so go with the 36cc ;)

Good saying mate.
Down here it was "There's no substitute for cubic inches".

I have 1 of each, but don't have enough throttle time to help you. I think the 30.5 has a little more history, the 36 is their attempt to go bigger? Anyway, you found you don't get love for Rovan here and sounds like you have done some research, so save your $50 to put towards future power.

@3illmesmart people are entitled to opinions and educated responses about a lower quality "knock off" it has nothing to do with being negative or not having "love" for a manufacturer. I would want people to be honest if I asked a question and I'd be grateful someone took the time to say something. That's just me 🤷‍♂️
I'm just giving my experience to a fellow enthusiast. He said research. I conclude from this that he read that things might not fit or interchange. There is no new hpi's to buy, and if you get down to it, I have 3 oem Hpi baja's and guess what? No Zenoah. I remember when the Fuely (?) was junk and gonna blow up. Mine still all run. Is the Rovan gonna survive football fields and race tracks? Not for long. Is it going to survive a vacant lot, parking lot or park? Likely for longer than 1/2 the people that ever buy 1.

I stand with my Rovan brothren and hold my wrench high. We may have to fix some stuff, but we have FUN. (I haven't had to fix anything yet.)

If I was you I would go 30.5cc, I have experience with the King Motor 30.5. Its cheap to rebuild the top end, like £25 cheap for a top end rebuild kit. Its a fairly high revving engine, the carb will be a WT668 which is very user friendly. Its more of a horsepower engine than a torque engine which should allow the drivetrain to last longer, plus you'll save some pennies to put towards kill switch and anything that breaks.

Just out of curiosity how much is the roller compared to the RTR? Does it make more sense to buy the roller and a Zenoah G320 plus the servo and receiver if you already have other models?

Back to engine, you can buy ready ported heads, pistons etc for the 30.5 easily compared to the 36cc.
Do as I did, start with cheap engine, rebuild it a few times, learn about 2 stroke and tuning etc then go for a more powerful, reliable engine.

No matter what you buy you are going to love it, the 5th scale bug bites hard.

I didn't mean to step on any toes. I didn't realize I'd start the inevitable clone bashing session. I ask for advice on fixing a Chevy and they tell me to buy a Ferrari. lol Anyways, that wasn't my intention. I realize opinions differ but all I did was ask a few innocent questions about the two stock Rovan engines.

@Rep732 where did I indicate I wasn't happy with an answer? I VERY CLEARLY asked about the 30.5 v. 36 only and was told zenoah, zenoah and no other constructive input. Yes, yes, we all know zenoah is better than the stock Chinese engine, blah, blah, blah. And yes I will likely get a better engine after one of these Chinese engines expires but for now I'm seeking info on either the 30.5 or 36cc and generic info of the type just buy a Zenoah is not exactly relevant to the discussion nor helpful. Let's just stay on point. Just my general observation.

As for no replacement for displacement, there's also another old racer saying that says an engine doesn't know what brand it is. Back in the day when I was weekend racing 1:1 bracket cars I can tell you that I saw guys blow up as many Ford engines as Chevy engines, most of which was due to operator error (like detonation because of timing or fuel octane or trying to get that extra few hundred rpms beyond redline, etc). But inevitably some guy would blame the kaboom on the manufacturer. So I don't like to engage in pointless bashing. I prefer concrete facts. Are there crappier engines and better quality engines for 1:5? YES we all know that, let's move on.

Thank you @3illmesmart and @KevTrem for precisely the info I was looking for: cost of parts, production run, etc. As tempted I am by that extra 5cc's I think the 305A is the better choice due to he factors you guys mentioned. Further research reveals that there are certainly a heck of a lot more and cheaper replacement parts listed for the 30.5 than for the 36. Plus, I figure since this is only a 2WD buggy where traction is an issue the smaller engine won't be a detriment. KevTrem, to answer your question I think there's only one option thru rovan, the 305A RTR is $500USD and I don't think that rovan currently offers a baja roller when I look at their site. Since I want new and not go the used HPI route, the only option is buy RTR and modify as needed.

@meowy84 no one was exactly brand bashing, more a case of steering you in the right direction :)

The clone engines are manufactured to pretty much non existant tolerances. This means less power, less reliability, and most of all it's a "hit 'n miss" situation. Some might last months, some last hours, some won't even start

Anyway, the 30.5 sounds like the best choice. I believe the 36cc is pretty much a 32cc with the cylinder base gaskets stacked anyway

It is not worth it. The only benefit you get with the 36cc engine is the easy start setup. Different fan which lacks the extruded prongs for the standard pull start. The 36cc engine is a donkey. Not much power at off the line, lower RPMs, not as much compression. The larger displacement was the larger disappointment. I changed that engine out for the stocker, King Motor 30.5cc Fuelie engine that came with the Baja. Way better performance level, higher RPM and has good compression.

Whatever you decide to go with, use it as is, then replace it when you want more out of the Baja.

No experience with the Rofun 30.5cc engine. However, just look at the engines on the Rovan RC website and compare to the King Motor RC website in the complete engine catalog of the same displacement.
  • Rovan engines have crude castings, they are glued together with a gray sealant and no gasket. Made in China, Rofun Brand
  • King Motor Fuelie engines have clean castings, they use gaskets (not glue) in the assembly. Made in Taiwan by Chung Yang

Either case, the Zenoah is a much better engine on all counts. Castings, internals, etc are of better quality. Just check out the G320RC on DDM Racing website, you will get more information there. Actually, Zenoah has more details than wat is stated from the Taiwan or Chinese brands.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks