FG Bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrawnFG

I recently left my FG in the cellar for a bit too long and the rear wheel bearings all seized up. I'm glad I spotted this because the axles were just loose enough to turn by hand, and if I had run it they would have heated up and melted the hubs, and made a right mess of the axles and dog bones, and possibly the wheels.

I looked the bearings up on a few model websites and found them to be way too expensive for what they are (£25 for a set of 8 wheel bearings!), so I dug out the trusty bearing catalogue and made the following list:

Wheel: 8x22x7 (FG# 6078) Designation:608
Clutch: 10x22x6 (FG# 6040) Designation 6900 (or 61900)
Layshaft: 10x19x7 (FG# 6036) Designation 63800
Alu Diff: 15x28x7 (FG# 8496) Designation 6902 (or 61902)
Plastic Diff: 12x28x8 (FG #6063) Designation 6001

For metal shields add "ZZ" to the designation.
For rubber seals add "2RS" to the designation (some manufacturers use 2RSR).

Google the designation to find a good price, for example:
Metal shield wheel bearing
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/608-ZZ__pack_of_10__Shielded_Miniature_Ball_Bearing-7731-p
Rubber seal wheel bearing
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/608-2RS__pack_of_10__Sealed_Miniature_Ball_Bearing-7729-p

Manufacturer
Most websites have a 'budget' option, and I'm pretty convinced that these are the ones that FG use as standard. If you take the view that bearings will die anyway (as I do) and all you ever do is bash, you'll probably want to use these and keep a few spares handy. Expect to pay about £1 per wheel bearing.

SKF, FAG, TIMKEN, and a few other brands are premium bearings. Expect these to be smoother running (less drag), better sealed, filled with better grease (more resistant to high speed running and high temperatures), and likely to last longer. Also expect to pay £2.50 or more for each wheel bearing.

Rubber seals or metal shields
Bottom line: Rubber seals cause more drag (so get hotter and have a lower speed rating, though this is well within the speeds of an RC car), but keep the crap and moisture out and the grease in. Metal Shields have almost zero drag (over an unshielded bearing), have a higher speed rating as they run cooler, keep most crap out, keep most grease in, and let water in.

If you run in a dry and relatively clean environment (e.g. on-road in a dry place), then the low drag shielded bearings will give you the edge. If you run off-road, best go for rubber shields.

ABEC Rating (note that ABEC is an american standard, Europe tend tp specify tolerance bands, e.g. C3)
As an Engineer, people quoting the ABEC rating as a measure of how suitable a bearing is for a particular job really riles me! I'll try not to rant, but here's the low down:

ABEC just lists the tolelrances/precision of the bearing, from 1 to 5. 5 is the highest precision and smallest tollerance. You want high precision bearings were the alignment of the shaft is critical to the machines operation (e.g. instrumentation, very high speed shafts, surgery etc).
You want low precision where the bearing housing or shaft is not precisely made and you need to account for some misalignment in the system (e.g. in an RC car plastic moulded hub), or in non critical operations.

If you use an ABEC-5 bearing in a plastic moulded RC car hub, the misalignment within the moulding will cause unequal load share in the bearings, and will increase the bearing drag, and ultimately give premature wear and turn your expensive bearing into an ABEC-1 (or worse) bearing! However if you use an ABEC-5 bearing in a well made alloy hub you will get better alignment, reduced drag, higher load capacity, and a longer life in the bearing.

Note that ABEC does not specify some of the most important bearing parameters (like the surface roughness of the raceways and rolling elements), so if you want a long life bearing you are better off buying a premium standard tolerance bearing than buying a 'budget' ABEC-5 bearing.

If you want to know more, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABEC_scale

after my google I actually found some wheel bearings on Amazon for 50p per bearing, so got 16. I'll just swap them out after a year and throw away the old ones. The layshaft bearing is fairly hard to find in standard bearing sellers, I think it must be a special thin section bearing.

brawn i don't know much about bearing but I recently met with the oz FG importer to swears by HB subber sealed bearings, he said he uses these in his race cars and believe them to be the best, might be worth looking into

Most of the FG bearing except for that little sucker in the large motor mount are quite easy to find. The wheel bearings in the FGMT and others are standard size roller blade bearings. Also skateboard shops will carry them.

I buy my bearings in bulk from a machine shop on Ohio. $20 got me 2 tubes of layshaft and clutchbell bearings shipped to my door. abec 5's

there are 5 abecs but abec 5 is the middle. (1, 3, 5, 7, 9)

i bought a pack of 8 double shielded & rubber sealed (SKF) for £7 off ebay, so far theyve been spot on, only used my beetle a few times though so time will tell but so far no probs :)

i bought a pack of 8 double shielded & rubber sealed (SKF) for £7 off ebay, so far theyve been spot on, only used my beetle a few times though so time will tell but so far no probs :)

i got these in my bug and have had over 2 years from them only last time i took the car out it got drowned and i left the car like it for a couple of days the front wheels were locked up solid and i needed to remove the rubber seal and free it up with wd40 regreased them and now there good as new again well worth the money

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks