FG Diff cover and key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin.
Community Leader
A common problem with FG MT5 and other similar models is that the differential cover is made of thin aluminum which is easily damaged and due to rocks and other debris getting caught between the diff and the chassis. FG Modellsport has now released a new diff cover...

FG Diff cover and key

I have had this problem (rocks and diff housing) and smashed 2 diff housings.
Then I found a thicker cover for the diff -> here <- and bought one of this. Since I have a friend who works with a CNC machine I asked for him to make 1 more as a spare... never installed this piece because I've offered a viscous diff and went for it.

Since I don't want to damage the viscous diff I tryed to find out some options, like diff raisers... in theory it's OK because it gives almost 5mm of more space between the diff housing and the chassis but, on the other hand, you will need higher engine mounts to go with it (more money spent). This wasn't an option to me after seeing this plastic pieces.

Well after buying this plastic pieces I found out that FG didn't make the chassis thinking on this... you don't have any holes to screw the pieces to the chassis. Also the package have 2 of those plastics pieces with 2 holes for the screws, but it only has 2 screws instead of 4!!!!

So, my conclusion is to use the method described here on this forum witch is using silicone to make this "protections" againts small rocks... cheaper and efective.

Last edited:
I just purchased a diff key today and I am wondering if any body can provide some dimensions as to where to drill the chassis for mounting.

I just purchased a diff key today and I am wondering if any body can provide some dimensions as to where to drill the chassis for mounting.

This is what I meant in my previous post... the chassis wasn't built with this piece in mind :nono: that's why you must drill the chassis in order to screw down the pieces.

My idea is the following... use the plastic piece as a stamping marker. Just paint the lower part of the plastic peice with some sort of ink and then place the piece on the chassis just close enough to the diff without touching it. Then remove the piece and you should get a painted area with 2 blank spots... that is where you should drill the holes.

Don't know if this will work, but in theory sounds OK.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks