FG F1 sportline with gyro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jf813

I was discussing with my friends yesterday regarding installing a gyro in their 1/10 F1. I tried their 1/10 F1 and the different is huge. So I am thinking maybe I will give it a try in my 1/5. Installed in my FG F1 last night. This gyro have different settings stalled inside the setup box, (but they are helicopter setting as it is a helicopter gyro) LOL. Anyway, I tried the "standard" setup and I don't really like it as the response is kind of slow..... So I change to the "Hard 3D" setup, which is quickest for helicopter, and I love it. The rear end is so solid it is not going anywhere, yet the steering response is same as the car without the gyro. And my friend had installed the Futaba gyro in his FG F1 comp and the result is good as well. My lap time is about same with or without the gyro as I do need some time to get use to it. But my friends F1 comp is full 2sec faster with the futaba gyro! His F1 is almost as fast as my EVO!!:scared:

Attachments

• 2012-10-08 23.31.52.jpg
    2012-10-08 23.31.52.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 93
Hmmm...as HPI would say "drift box:rolleyes:" I used this set up about 20 years ago on my 10th tourers....ah ,they were the days:lol::lol::lol:

J

hehe, ya. But the gyro technology have came long way since then. Atleast for heli as I had been flying since around 20 years ago. (but I am still a very bad pilot..... like things with wheels better than blades. LOL) Gyro for car is new to me as this is my first one...... Still need to set it up properly as this gyro (cx-1x1000) have so much stuff you can set with the setup box or laptop via usb cable........

weather you want the car going straight or sliding through a corner, its going to keep the car heading in the direction you want. its essentially stability control. ive got a gyro on my 1/10 scale drift car. if i pin the throttle it'll keep the car straight (something that doesn't happen without the gyro with the hard plastic tires) and once i flip is sideways the gyro will countersteer it and keep it sliding perfect.

never thought of running a gyro in any of my touring cars

I can see the attraction - sort of but other than the fact that things like this are banned for racing, doesn't it take away from the fun of all the trial and error it takes to make a car go where you want through good set up and skillfull driving?

mike mike mike you the man when it comes to racing brother

but us bashers drive like clarkson and love drifting burnouts going sideways on full lock in over powered cars that don't need rules or want them,,,its all about power power power burn rubber with power to spare leaving black lines everywhere

and as for skill i think us bashers are ok,,,,holding a drift flatout or driving flatout out in dusty car parks with half the grip of a track on old shot tyres takes loads of skill mate lol

it might take the fun away from it

as i had more fun on cheep xrc tires than on the gpr super softs as it was harder to keep it in a strait line and go round the corner with out spinning

I have used gyros on some of my high speed cars and the XO-1. It is well worth the investment as long as you use quality components. I am using a Futaba G520 Gyro futaba 20kg servo in my XO-1.

When you launch the car hard you can see the affect the gyro has as it will hold it in a straight line until the speed takes over and the car evens out. Remember a gyro is only as good as the servo you use with it. The faster and stronger the servo the better.

jf813, Thinking of doing this when I purchase a 2wd Sportsline chassis. Any chance we can get a closer detailed shot? I know an F1 is not a sedan but wondering about some detail for the RX setup. Can these gyros be used with a 3ch Pistol 2.4 radio or does it have to be a multi channel airplane/helicopter radio. Current have a Futaba 2.4ghz 3PMX and wondering if I'll have to switch.

jf813, Thinking of doing this when I purchase a 2wd Sportsline chassis. Any chance we can get a closer detailed shot? I know an F1 is not a sedan but wondering about some detail for the RX setup. Can these gyros be used with a 3ch Pistol 2.4 radio or does it have to be a multi channel airplane/helicopter radio. Current have a Futaba 2.4ghz 3PMX and wondering if I'll have to switch.

You can install a gyro on any type of tx-rx it only plugs into your rx steering channel
then simply plug your steering servo into the gyro and your done!

Make sure the gyro is mounted flat or it wont work

Troy

Just little update on the gyro. We had installed both futaba and copterX (with car firmware) in few evo's and they run around 1-1.5sec faster per lap. (mid size track around 25sec per lap for the fast 1/5 touring). The result is good as the car feel like foam tires car. Lot more rear traction and the front end is willing to turn as well. :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks