FG Gearing help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hobbythek do slicks.

they were selling the ST with them on & gutta say looked kinda neat & didnt look out of proportion :)

found a pic :)

b1.jpg

Last edited:
What's the best slick to run then. I have been told FG soft slicks. I currently have HPI wheels with front tarmacs and hostile slicks on the rear. But when I get up in speed the car just takes off and spins out. I can't hold it straight. Thanks

we tried thease 2 years ago when your car is running 50+ mph they will pop ....

there official FG tires aint they?

if so then they shouldnt have done that, FG sell a 2 speed option & pipe, if you fitted both of these & then the FG slicks, your FG will easily go over 50mph therefore unless FG state that these tires are not to be used for speeds in excess of 50mph then they should replace or refund you!

Im pretty sure FG would have put these tires through tests with tuned setups to make sure they cope with the power/speed?

Were they glues on properly & have inserts? or it could have been just a dodgy set :( ?

I ran my race truck slicks until the "tread" section was so worn that the threads were showing and it split near the edge... and then I glued that together with ca and used them 3 more outings. They certainly outlasted any of the touring car tires.

Ok guys! I am trying to install a 20t layshaft gear and it's hitting the case where the clutch case bolt goes through the case. I did start to dremel the case. And I'm just starting to see the threads of the clutch case bolt.... How do you speed runners install these bigger layshaft gears? The only thing I can think of is to take that bolt out and totally grind into the case?? Any thoughts? Thanks

any chance of a pic?

does the gear have a recess like normal pinion gears? if yes flip it around so the recess sits against the carrier, that shoud throw it out enough to clear the bolt heads.

ah don't know if thats called a pinion gear, i thought the pinion gear is what sits on the clutch bell shaft.

either way yes you need to machine the crankcase/clutch housing to make fit. make sure you don't go through or you might creat a leak in the crankcase, then its stuffed.

how much more clearance do you think you will need?

I'm trying for some major speed! Just under the speed of light!! :lol: I actually think I might have to take out at least 1/2 of that bolt passage in the case for the clutch housing?? Which means I won't be able to put a bolt through. It's a old 2 bolt cy that is on it's way out. And would rather hack this up to see what kind of speed I can get from this gearing then hack up a newer 4 bolt case. I think I will shave off what I have to and roll the dice. :w00t: I know guys have done it before. Just for the fact that they make this layshaft gear in this size and who doesn't like speed! I let you all know how it turns out! Thanks for everyones help tho!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks