Fg marder & monster spur gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

templ8

Having stripped another plastic spur gear on my fg monster, and finding that there's no uk stock of single speed 46t gears, are the fg steel gears worth the extra money ?

There's nothing wrong with the mesh, it's perfect, just seems to strip the spur after a good half hour of running when everything is hot. The steel pinion gets up to 70 degrees Celsius on occasion, maybe this is softening the plastic ?

Maybe it's my driving, the spurs strip usually after the rear gets airborne on a flat out run.

Planning a trip to rossmod tomorrow for some parts.

id get the steel gears mate ive had steel on my fg beetle for over 3 years now without any problems and hardly any wear worth every penny check out ebay theres always steel gears on there

If you have plastic diff and engine mounts, change them ASAP.
Some have few/no problems, but most start stripping the gears through the flex.

Also consider changing the plastic gear mount for alloy, if you have plastic.

Al.

If you have plastic diff and engine mounts, change them ASAP.
Some have few/no problems, but most start stripping the gears through the flex.

Also consider changing the plastic gear mount for alloy, if you have plastic.

Al.

Al whats all this plastic stuff:p

K....

Thanks for the replies

I have alloy mounts but a plastic gear carrier, looking to change that.

The layshaft has 90 degree flats, will probably go for the genuine fg steel gear and carrier.

I haven't had the pot off the engine yet (g260rc) but I reckon it might have internal mods, it's as fast as my mates marder with an alro 29cc motor and dominator pipe

Ya black bone is the best cause I'm running them on all my 1/5s scales to include the e twin 3080 6x6 monster I am building n my 5s

Last edited by a moderator:
My gear issue seems to be from the spur hitting the rear suspension or dog bone,you may think there is enuogh clearance but under compression of rear suspension(like landing from a big jump) the spur will drag and shear the spur.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks