FG Monster just wont start!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splitpin2005

I have had this problem onece before. I pull and pull, flood the engine and the truck wont go. Last time this happened i almost gave up after days of trying, but then suddenly it fired at away it went.

Well now the problem is back. I have checked for a spark and yes there is one. Its definately getting fuel as i keep flooding it, filling the exhaust with unburnt petrol. And compression seems ok when i hold my finger over the spark plug hole.

I have tried cleaning out the carb completely, but still no luck. Have set needles to around 1.5 turns out each. Tried settings from earlier posts also.
Would to much grass insiide the fan cowel make any difference to the ignition. As i say i am getting a spark.

The truck was working fine, until one day it started spluttering. I had this before and found it to be a split fuel return hose. I again found a split in this pipe and replaced it. But still no good, truck wont start at all.!
Please help me, i just wanna play!!!!!!!!!!!!!:helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

Do you have a choke on your carb? If so make sure it's not closed.

Even though you're plug has spark, try changing it. It's amazing sometimes, even though it seems to work fine and that winds up being the problem.

Also, prime the bulb with fuel and then do just one extra prime and that is all you need. If the engine doesn't start then after a few pulls, don't keep priming the bulb as you will flood the motor again.

Lastly, Check for any loose bolts especially were the head meets the crank case. My gasket was cracked there and my motor kept stalling after a few seconds.

Chris

Also if you do have a choke, only have it closed until the engine fires once, then open it, as pulling it over after that will just flood the engine.

If you flood the engine....remove the spark plug..turn the car or truck up side down
pull the pull start 4 or 5 times to flush out the excess gas...turn back up right..let sit
with out spark plug..for a good 15 minutes to 30 minutes to air out....install new spark
plug....your other 1 is wet from gas......set the choke..pull the starter 2 times...take the choke off...pull again..should start....you may have to pull the throttle a tad to open the butterfly.........My other suggestion is replace the fuel lines...check the clunker in the tank pick up line.....You sure you have the fuel lines installed correct?....Bottom is the inlet..top is retuen line.....Lets hear from you how your doing?...Slawhammer

Fuel lines connected as they always have been. Small black pipe to bottom of Carb and larger clear pipe to top of carb.

I will be checking out my engine again tomorrow. Is it possible that the head bolts could come loose, they never did it before????

Somebody in a past thread speaks about putting half a teaspoon of 2 stroke oil in the engine to check compression???????

Splitin,
It's very possible that the head bolts came undone. Nice part is that it is easy enough to check!! ;)

Chris

Thanks Chris

I really like this forum, seems to be full of nice people, who are always willing to help. Will get in my garage tomorrow and check them bolts!!!!

Will reply again tomorrow with the outcome

Cheers
Splitpin
:)

TRied the head bolts. All nice and tight. Have not moved. Still wont start and now i have a cord p;ull to fix. Thats easy enough but starting problem still a mystery!!!!! HELP

I have posted it before somewhere but my kill switch stuck in & like you I tried everything but to no avail. don't know how I found it but just put a bit of spray grease on the plastic button & pressed it a few times to make sure the button was free. Had no problems since :cool2:

Its simple but could be your problem particularly if the engine is not making a good attempt to fire up.

Have you started the mill yet? If not try this. Disconnect your stop button(pull one of the wires off) If not the problem sounds a bit deeper.Does it pull over easily? has virtually no compression? Change the plug. I had the same problem with one of my engines,it seemed like it had loads of compression but wouldnt fire.I upgraded the head and piston and it hasnt give any trouble since.I myself would re-ring it first to get the compression back up.
J.

Thanks everyone for all your help. Just thought i would tell you all i got it started!!!! Fitted new spark plug, then found earlier thread on the site. It mentioned that if its believed the engine is flooded to remove the carb, and then start the engine.

I did this, the engine fired into life!!!!! This obviously works very well for a flooded engine, but be warned that the engine does rev hard until its cleared.

But all in all BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna fit carb tommora

:)

I'm now having the same problem! Was running good old' dandy yesterday and for some reason it won't start now... I have cleaned the air filter, checked the choke and primed it correctly but still nothing. Have taken out the plug and pulled and left to dry but also no luck. Anything anyone recommends? Thanks

Be careful, but check 'the spark test', to see if the plug's sparking.
It's possible there's a problem with the high voltage circuit.
Standard routine is try another plug.
You've confirmed you're getting fuel in by 'leaving the plug to dry'.
There might be a broken / disconnected wire.
Do you have a remote killswitch - try removing this TEMPORARILY, to eliminate that.
Al.

sounds like a prob with the carb as he said it started fine when he taken the carb off altogether.

Take ya carb off again & Give your carb a good blast with carb cleaner incase any of the jets are blocked then try again. In the worse scenario.. new walbro 668 carb £30 ;)

Okay thanks guys. I have a kill switch but not a remote one, just one on the engine near the pull starter. Will give it a good check over and check fuel lines etc. will let you know when she's up and running again. Many thanks :)

Like the guys said, try your spark plug , mine was running like a sack of cack, not ticking over and spluttering , had a spark but put new one in and it runs like a charm , toll I stripped teeth of cogs. : ( give it a try , cheap troubleshooting idea ....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks