FG Monster ' setup' for handling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblayze

bash only. im thinking to remove rear sway bar? ive read that the shock oil is to thick 'stock'. suggestions for shock oil?. set up is clearly limited. for front shock setup what is ideal for bash. inner or outer top hole and outer middle inner for bottom? thoughts please. finally, are their aftermarket shocks for FG as i simply cannot find. thanks in advance.

You're definitely on the right road there!

Everyone generally removes the rear sway bar, and sometimes keeps the front, if you have it.

I try to keep the movement as smooth and fairly softly sprung and damped to permit offroad running.

It depends which shocks you're using. I'm on the Evo04 with option alloy pistons, 8-shock setup and use 1500-2000 FG oil and softish springs - works fine - for me!!

Most say 2000-2500 in the MT shocks.

Al.

This is my base set up for all the FG Marder/MT/baja and Leopard race type cars.

Front

Toe out between 5mm & 8mm

17mm square drive blocks with these axles http://rc-car-online... ... 1pce-.html
for maximum width

3000wt oil in the shocks

Rear

Toe in 3 degrees
Camber 3 degrees pushed down
2000wt oil in the shocks

For anti squat put 2 washers between the chassis and the forward lower ball joint.

14mm square drive blocks for maximum width.

keep the chassis level by altering the ride height on the shockers with the adjuster screws or clips. The rear wishbone should be level with the bench at rest.

Droop. Sit the car on a box or stand so all 4 wheels are off the bench and all the suspention is free to move. Mount the shockers on the lower mount only. Adjust the front droop screw so that the shock JUST slides on the top mounting bolt with little or no compression. The rears can be done like this but more likely will have to be done so the angle isn't so servere that the drive shafts bind up.

The best way to get your rear toe in level is to start with the forward lower turn buckle on both sides screwed in untill you can just see a full thread either side of the adjuster nut. Then adjust the rearward lower turn buckle. You'll need a straight edge to rest on the side of the wheel pointing to the front wheel and you need to be in the middle ish (making sure the steering is centered)

Something like this....

And this is how the front needs to look. The measurements will be different for the various cars but the 5 to 8mm wider at the front will remain what ever car it is.

Back