FG Monster Truck 4WD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blown67Sedan

I'm looking real hard at this truck. I've always wanted one, but am a little gun shy in regards to pulling the trigger. Looks like Dave would be the best place for sure. Does it come in kit form? Have any of you guys replaced the stock engine with something larger and modified? What about tuned pipes, JetPro or who? Parts availability is a concern for me as well, especially considering what went down with FG a little while ago. I'd really like to use my own radio and gear as well, which I was I was hoping it came in kit form. Hard to tell from FG's website, but it doesn't look like it to me.

Basically, whatever other info you guys can give me on this truck would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave's will be a great place to get parts plus get a dominator pipe and you'll be rocking?? bought my FG at DDM
It is a RTR not a kit

Thanks Doug! When I emailed DDM they didn't say anything about having the Dominator pipe for the Monster truck, they spoke about the FG pipe. I'll have to ask again. Do you know if JetPro is still around? Also, are you running the stock engine in your Monster Beetle Pro?

I'm looking real hard at this truck. I've always wanted one, but am a little gun shy in regards to pulling the trigger. Looks like Dave would be the best place for sure. Does it come in kit form? Have any of you guys replaced the stock engine with something larger and modified? What about tuned pipes, JetPro or who? Parts availability is a concern for me as well, especially considering what went down with FG a little while ago. I'd really like to use my own radio and gear as well, which I was I was hoping it came in kit form. Hard to tell from FG's website, but it doesn't look like it to me.

Basically, whatever other info you guys can give me on this truck would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
I'm looking to get one too but DDM didn't seems to have the Monster truck version in stock neither for the FG website :(

I'm looking to get one too but DDM didn't seems to have the Monster truck version in stock neither for the FG website :(

Yeah, I talked to Dave a couple weeks ago and they are out of it. He said 6 to 8 weeks before he gets more in stock, which I know I'm good with. I'm not in a big hurry, have a lot of projects going on right now. Let me know if you get one at some point though!

Yeah, I talked to Dave a couple weeks ago and they are out of it. He said 6 to 8 weeks before he gets more in stock, which I know I'm good with. I'm not in a big hurry, have a lot of projects going on right now. Let me know if you get one at some point though!
Yeah got pretty much the same answer by Steve at DDM, he says 6-7 week from now.

So DDM has this truck back in stock, and I'm still on the fence. I talked to Steve a little and he told me that there aren't really any weaknesses with the truck in stock form. He also said that "if" it comes with a manual, which apparently sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, that they are basically useless. Realistically that doesn't bother me too much as I'm not new to r/c and am mechanically inclined. I think my biggest concern is that are these good vehicles and when it does break, what is parts availability like? And will parts be available for a while? I know FG has gone through some ownership changes and other weirdness over the years. I don't want to sink money into something that isn't well supported to begin with, and at some point in the near future won't be supported at all (Ala Thunder Tiger EK4 Monster truck). I know it's only a grand, but that's a grand I could put towards a different vehicle or hot rod parts lol. The only other 5th scale I'm really interested in right now is the Vekta, and I'm also leery of pulling the trigger on that one.

Any thoughts guys?

So far other than the stock servos giving up ? my fg has been fun easy to drive and reliable ?? and Dave's is cheap on fg spares??
Do it

Thanks, Doug. Are there any parts I should grab to have on hand right away? It would be nice to have something that might be a weak point already "in stock" at my house. Lol.

I talked to JetPro and he is still making pipes. Thinking of ordering one when I order the truck. I live at 5000' and we get ridiculous DA's in the summer, so everything is down on power up here. Any other pipe manufacturers that you think are better? Love the look and sound of the JetPro, but want something that will give the truck a little more pull up on top.

I've been running the Jetpro 5t pipe on my baja since day 1. It's definitely a top end pipe. The stock 26 revs to the moon. Makes sense, considering how long it is:
5T right.jpg

Website says "awesome power in all bands", which is true, but it still feels like the most power comes on the top: https://jetpro.com/collections/hpi-exhaust-pipes/products/hpi-baja-5t-5sc-front-mount-pipe

BTW, I was running this truck in Idaho at 4500' and it did amazingly well. Didn't feel like it was struggling to make power.

Last edited:
Thanks, Doug. Are there any parts I should grab to have on hand right away? It would be nice to have something that might be a weak point already "in stock" at my house. Lol.

I talked to JetPro and he is still making pipes. Thinking of ordering one when I order the truck. I live at 5000' and we get ridiculous DA's in the summer, so everything is down on power up here. Any other pipe manufacturers that you think are better? Love the look and sound of the JetPro, but want something that will give the truck a little more pull up on top.
Get theseScreenshot_20191011-184259.pngScreenshot_20191011-184328.pngScreenshot_20191011-184501.pngScreenshot_20191011-184441.png

So DDM has this truck back in stock, and I'm still on the fence. I talked to Steve a little and he told me that there aren't really any weaknesses with the truck in stock form. He also said that "if" it comes with a manual, which apparently sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, that they are basically useless. Realistically that doesn't bother me too much as I'm not new to r/c and am mechanically inclined. I think my biggest concern is that are these good vehicles and when it does break, what is parts availability like? And will parts be available for a while? I know FG has gone through some ownership changes and other weirdness over the years. I don't want to sink money into something that isn't well supported to begin with, and at some point in the near future won't be supported at all (Ala Thunder Tiger EK4 Monster truck). I know it's only a grand, but that's a grand I could put towards a different vehicle or hot rod parts lol. The only other 5th scale I'm really interested in right now is the Vekta, and I'm also leery of pulling the trigger on that one.

Any thoughts guys?
Sup dude, have you got one finally ? If yes, happy with it ? Should received mine this week (kinda hyped about it)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks