FG Monster Truck Throttle / brake servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanach

I have been running a Hitec HS-9545MG for nearly a whole month on my throttle /braking function.
The brakes on my MT are terrible so I installed a set of FG front cable disc brakes that recomend a 7-8 kilo servo. The unit as per above is rated to 13 kilos and needs to operate the rear brake also, so it's fair to assume this would be up to the task..... wrong.
When I first plug the RX into the battery I notice the servo is full of life and works a treat, one minute later it is slowing down and loosing torque. Even with the servo operating at 6volts and the servo horn disconnected it simply gets hot and slows down.

To cut a long story short, I am thinking of using a Hiteh 5955TG as it has 24kilo pull or 333oz at 6 volts, anyone tried one???

With servos available to pull/ push this kind of load I would still like to keep the one servo instead of using two.

Please let me know your thoughts or comments!

man, that 5945 sould be good to work Front Discs and the rear too.

how are the Sheeves for the cables? do the cables move Smoothly in them?

you may have a hard turn on the sheeve binding the cableing?

being properly adjusted between the front discs and the rear stocker can make a Huge differance on friction/binding as well. maybe try to re route the cables for less hard turns.

Hey Tim, I swaped out the faulty servo for an ACE unit and it seems a lot better..... need to go bashing to tell for sure.
All the cables are super smooth without sharp bends so that part is OK.

I have been running a Hitec HS-9545MG for nearly a whole month on my throttle /braking function.
The brakes on my MT are terrible so I installed a set of FG front cable disc brakes that recomend a 7-8 kilo servo. The unit as per above is rated to 13 kilos and needs to operate the rear brake also, so it's fair to assume this would be up to the task..... wrong.
When I first plug the RX into the battery I notice the servo is full of life and works a treat, one minute later it is slowing down and loosing torque. Even with the servo operating at 6volts and the servo horn disconnected it simply gets hot and slows down.

To cut a long story short, I am thinking of using a Hiteh 5955TG as it has 24kilo pull or 333oz at 6 volts, anyone tried one???

With servos available to pull/ push this kind of load I would still like to keep the one servo instead of using two.

Please let me know your thoughts or comments!

I know it has been a long time since this was posted, but I run the 5955tg and it flat-out rocks. Speed is just as amazing as the torque!

Trip..

Trip, the ace is holding up well, I only just replaced the cables last night with shimano gear shift cables and they seem real smooth.

I am thinking of getting the alloy tray and runing the extra servo as stopping power starts to fade after a while.

How long have you had the 5955 tg?

I just got a FG MT and the stock brake is pretty much useless, it barely slows the truck down. Is this normal for this kit?
It is a pretty crappy looking set up, just 2 steel plates being forced against a fibre disc.
Doesn't even have a cam lobe just 2 pins in a shaft which push on one of the plates.
Pretty disappointed in this set up.
I made myself an alloy servo tray because that was flexing like crazy but that didn't help the brakes much.
What do most people do?

Cheers
Andy

you can probably mod it a bit and make it pretty useable. my Bergs have the same setup for stock brakes on the diff. with a bit of work and some simple low cost mods you can probalby get it working pretty well.

things like quality cables and sheeths, dry graphite lube, spring mods on the calipers ect can all go a long way to help improve the quality and useability of stock brakes.

I mucked about with the stock set-up for ages and the square hole on the disc ended up chewing out to a round hole.

Possibly you may want to run front brakes as I did, then get yourself some rears later on depending on budget.

4 wheel disc brakes are the go... as timmah suggested you have to use good cables and make sure everything is ok.

I just got a FG MT and the stock brake is pretty much useless, it barely slows the truck down. Is this normal for this kit?
It is a pretty crappy looking set up, just 2 steel plates being forced against a fibre disc.
Doesn't even have a cam lobe just 2 pins in a shaft which push on one of the plates.
Pretty disappointed in this set up.
I made myself an alloy servo tray because that was flexing like crazy but that didn't help the brakes much.
What do most people do?

Cheers
Andy

This is all going to depend on you funding.:(
The front brake upgrade is the bomb but about $100-$140.00 more to do with cables and much more for hydros then the rear conversion.

Front will need the following:
6250/3 - 140.00
6103/06 - 118.00
Servo and 3 channel radio. Can be done on your one servo but that is alot on one servo.

Rear would need these:
7497 - 41.00
7474 - 45.00
Upgrade pads and disk - 8449 - 40.00

The rear tuning upgrade looks like this:

Last edited:
The rear tuning upgrade looks like this:
[/QUOTE]

LMAO, you know your old school when you use little peices of paper and a texta instead of photoshop.

Nice detail BTB...

Thanks for your replies guys :)
More money to spend.
Its disappointing that FG sell a product with brakes that hardly even slow the truck down let alone stop it.
Its all just a setup to get us to spend more of our hard earned.
I thought I was buying a quality product here, guess not.
I had to make an alloy servo plate before I even drove the thing, the stock plastic one freaked me out the way it flexed up when I applied the brake, just rubbish.
No manual, no spare parts, no spare oils, no tools except a spark plug spanner, crappy sticker sheet, my Baja was a lot better deal than this truck.
Sorry for the rant, just had to vent :)

Andy
PS: Where do you Aussie guys get your parts and where do you come up with all those numbers for the parts.

Last edited:
BTB,

Who sells the front break setup? I checked Python Motors but they only carried the rear hardware (all back ordered) but not the front.

-Michael

Thanks for your replies guys :)
PS: Where do you Aussie guys get your parts and where do you come up with all those numbers for the parts.

OK the Aussie importer is Colin from chequered flag racing.

Daniels pitstop and Powerslide racing also sell the parts.

Thanks for your help :clap:
I found a set of cable brakes I had for my Baja that I can use on the front of the FG, just have to get some discs and make some brackets :)

Andy

BTB,

Thanks for the input - I'll have to do the back brakes first and see how it performs, though I know I'm going to have to put front brakes once I get that 30.5 in there.

-Michael

can any one help me my throttle/brake servo has burnt out again after 5 minits use it is the hitec hs 645mg ultra torque is there any settings that need to be altered on the transmitter ? thanks

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks