FG MT Suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rixxer

any tips and tricks to soften up the suspension to eliminate the harsh and bumpiness on the truck to make it more suitable for the track. Im running 4WD version so only single shock on each corner any help would be greatly appreciated thx

a few ways i suppose, remove the black plastic spacers which fit above the spring (assuming you have those fitted), use thinner oil, softer springs, take apart the shock and bore out the holes a little for the hydraulic fluid to flow through, or fit shocks from another model, like ones off a Baja 5B??

the spacers only raise the heigh, they don't make it any stiffer or softer.

best way to get it softer is to change the oil, make sure you use the correct oil, i only buy FG shocker oil, I reckomend 2,000wt, stock it comes with 4,000wt which is like grease!

Thinner oil with weaker springs - perhaps allow ~25-30% droop at rest - will give a more compliant ride on the rough stuff, but you'll get grip roll on tarmac.
It's all a compromise.

I stiffened up my suspension on my MT, and even fitted shorter shafts - I've the evo 04 long bodies, with the alloy pistons and rebound springs - and this 'felt' every ripple of the MCD chevron tyres I'd fitted - far too stiff.
I've now softened the springs and thinned the oil. It's fine on the tarmac and quite good on the rougher ground as well ...
Basically you have to find your own way.
I've got the 8-shock MT, and have fitted long bodies / long shafts, with 'red' springs front / rear. I've no pre-load on the fronts with 1500 oil in and ~1cm pre-load on the rears with 2000 oil in. It's working reasonably well but will never be as compliant as a Baja as this has longer arms and has a much lower c of g.

Everything stated above is correct. If you go for opening the holes, this will have a marked effect. I suggest you play with the oils first, before opening the holes.

Al.

I can say that changing out the shock oil to 40 and 50 worked for mine. They are a short wheel base so it will rock and roll like an old Wrangler Jeep no matter what.

th_MOV05360.jpg

forgot to mention the 2,000wt FG oil i used seems to be the perfect balance between stifness to jumping and softness for flat/bumpy stuff but thats for my FG Baja which has one shocker per wheel, the MT has two so you may want to go softer oil again, maybe start with 1,000wt and go from there.

suspension

im running 4WD version so one shock per corner i just want this truck to handle somewhat ok on the corner without tipping all the time and be able to take small bumps without bouncing all over the place im gunna try all the suggestions you guys gave me and hopefully it helps a little thx guys

well tipping is another issue, that comes down to the short wheel base and high centre of gravity you get with MT. i think softening it would make this worse, it comes down to driving style to combat this.

as for it bouncing this is typical FG hard shock, get some 2,000wt shocker oil, that will stop it bouncing but still have enough firmness for jumping. it well belly slap easier than stock but like people have said above its always a give and take so to speak.

the tires are going to make it bouncy and roll over. you'd be better off with some different tires. mt tires last forever and great bashers but they are heavy and bouncy. a lower profile tire or at least a softer foam and tire compound will help absorb some of that

you might also have the shocks too soft (playing advocate here) as it compresses too fast and the springs just shoot the shock back to full so the spring ends up doing more of the work. a thicker oil might slow the suspension down some... say you go hard into a right corner... if the oil is too thin, the left side suspension will compress fast and the right side will extend fast, giving excess body roll...

when you hold the truck say 2 foot off the ground and drop it on a firm surface, what happens? does it go down and soak it up, or does it hit metal and bounce up?

It is the nature of the beast, unfortunately !!
I have a modified-LST2-spec 1/8 Raminator that will ride nearly anything - superb.
I've modded the hell out of the shocks on my FG MT. I've had long body, long shaft standard shocks; long body, long shaft evo04 shocks, hard springs, soft springs, thick oil, thinner oil, ..... I've changed the pistons to the top-spec alloy ones with O-rings as opposed to the simple cut-out plastic ones ...
result?
Still bouncy !!
I've alloy wheels with MCD tyres. I've drilled in 'breather' holes into the alloys - not happy doing that but supposedly makes the wheel 'breath' better on impacts.
I use FG~1500 (mix of a few) on the fronts with red springs and no pre-load. with FG2000 on the rear with 1cm pre-load.
Absorbance is great. Ride is good but ... still a little bouncy !!

I HAD FG700 in the Evo shocks when I got them and it was way too soft - no absorbance and was bouncy.

Only thing is 'hit a compromise' with the terrain you reckon you're most likely to encounter.

Despite saying mine's riding quite well now, I will not be taking on the Deeside Gang in their Bajas, and there's no way it will ride like a well set up Baja.

Nature of the Beast mate. Sorry.

Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks