FG onroad Advise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REHeng

Hello all!
I have been involved in RC for a number of years, including a couple of HPI Baja's.
I recently purchased an FG sportline 530 4WD because I want to do some on road events. After looking at it several times (have not run it yet) some of the ways that things are installed seem a little weak to me. The steering servo flexes, no on-off switch, servo wires just dangling about...just things like that.
On road racing is not very popular in Northern California, but there are a few clubs I will contact.
In the mean time, I bet there are a few "upgrades" that always need to be done.
If you have any suggestions of what should be upgraded or changed, your comments would be appreciated.
Thanks!

There is some flex but it's not a big is issue. If you do a little searching you'll find that some have converted to a top deck servo system. I haven't done this because I never found it to be a problem. As for the wires. Tidy them up and get a switch. You have a great car that's a lot of fun to run

Attachments

• IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 24
Thank you myrcbud and vadn1 for you're help and advice.
myrcbud - I am interested in converting ti the "top deck" servo system, but can't seem to find the correct deck. If you know where I can find it I would appreciate some direction on where to get it. I really don't care for the way FG has the steering servo mounted.
vadn1 - great photos of your upgrades! The track I am thinking of running on does not allow 2 speed, but the rest of the upgrades you have done are on my list, especially the rear brakes.
Thanks again.

REHeng,

Those are NOT my upgrades, credit is to be given to Bel976. I do wish I could make upgrades to my 4wd, like a 2 speed unit, alloy diff cases, hydraulic brake set, and an ESP modified 23cc or 26cc engine with a Samba 4wd tune pipe; unfortunately, racing the Texas SWCS the 4wd cars have to be left mostly in stock form.

Thanks vadn1! My track, like yours, does not permit a lot of upgrades in the 4WD class. One change that was recommended to me was to change the front dog bones to universal joints. I think I will start with that and get some track time before making more changes.

I am going to try to make it, but not 100% sure right now.
I ordered the front universal joints (GPM66275) from rc-car-online and received them the other day. Unfortunately, it appears they have been machined wrong as the balls do not sit deep enough and wont go into the cup. Contacted rc-car-online, but no repose as of now.
Does anybody know where to get these, or the FG68415? Everyone seems to be out of stock...

Hello all!
I have been involved in RC for a number of years, including a couple of HPI Baja's.
I recently purchased an FG sportline 530 4WD because I want to do some on road events. After looking at it several times (have not run it yet) some of the ways that things are installed seem a little weak to me. The steering servo flexes, no on-off switch, servo wires just dangling about...just things like that.
On road racing is not very popular in Northern California, but there are a few clubs I will contact.
In the mean time, I bet there are a few "upgrades" that always need to be done.
If you have any suggestions of what should be upgraded or changed, your comments would be appreciated.
Thanks!
I just participated at a 1/5 race there...http://www.rams-rc.com/ I don't know exactly how close it is for you...but its a great track and really friendly people.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks