FID Racing pull start review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revolauncher

I purchased this to replace my worn stock CY pull start with alloy starting pawl. I wear out 2 of these a season on average and usually 1 flywheel starter cup where it intersects. Fed up with this, I was about to drop the $120 required on a Turtle Racing V2 pull start when I came across this blatant copy by FID racing. Differences look to be the coil spool is plastic not metal like on the turtle, also the rope is a rope, not a cable like on the turtle. I have never snapped a rope, but had a knot fail once or twice on a stock pull start. Cables, I had trouble with both wearing out bushing guides and spools in stock and upgraded pull starts, so now you see my history of frustration that led me to this $93 purchase.
1fidp.jpg
The unit is well machined and fit is snug. The included bolts are mandatory as they fit the unit flush with the correct lengths. I blue thread-locked all of them and torqued them properly. My aftermarket alloy rear chassis brace on the 5ive T platform required trimming 1/8 in. off to give the pull start adequate clearance during install and removal w/o removing the engine. (a big time saver). My pipe was also extremely close so I raised the pipe support bracket 1/4 in. with an extra flange nut I had laying around and now all is well. ( The turtle is the same dimensions, so these mods. would have all been necessary for that part in my model as well) I only tell you all this because they are chunkier than the stock plastic units, no biggy.

Part is installed, works beautifully and looks trick. This requires much less effort upon engagement, and the handle is quite comfortable, even with stiff compression. I have probably 20 start and run cycles through it thus far, and it still feels like new operationally. I foresee it holding up several seasons before requiring a dog cage replacement ($19 part) compatible with turtle racing's own part #.

Summary:
+ fit and finish
+ comfort and ease of use
+ replacement parts available as the unit is serviceable

- Better part of $100 is meh' for a pull start
- Turtle racing unit is only a $20 more...
- chunkier and heavier than the plastic stocker....

Hi, thanks for the review. I'm going to buy the same pull starter and can you tell me is this plastic coil spool strong enough? Have you repaired it, already? Thank you in advance

That is interesting. The only issue I see with this one is where the air vents are located on the starter housing. Makes for using a filter mesh cover like outerwears or similar a bit tricky. I opted for the RCMax version as it was priced around the same as the TR unit. It may stick out a bit but the dog assembly attaches similarly to the flyweel. Only difference, you do not have to remove the bolt that secures the flywheel to the crankshaft. Instead, the main cross member just screws to the two threaded holes used for flywheel removal. The dog assembly is then secured to that part with two more bolts. Not sure what the rotating mass is compared to the others. I did have this on a Rovan 36cc engine, had to use some spacers to make it work. On the Zenoah or other engines that have the extruded areas it is a direct drop in. 20220111_183808.jpg

I bought this pullstarter based on this review and it is crap. The tolerances are all wrong. It looks like the plastic parts are from something else and the alloy bits have been made to fit. It is completely unserviceable. You cannot get the springs back in. It’s also big and you can’t get your bodywork to fit round it on some rc models. The ONLY part of this pullstarter that is of any use and decent is the dog plate. Even the cut out for the pull starter cord is in the wrong place. Everything about it is wrong. Except the dog plate

It’s basic engineering and common sense. Which this thing has none of. Useless piece of crap and do not waste your money

I have had to cut both of the springs down by a considerable amount just so I can get them back in. After an hour of solid bashing the thing jams up and will not return. But you can’t service it and clean it out unless you modify the springs by shortening them down. As soon as either of the springs break I will be throwing this thing in the bin. It’s a waste of good money for what it is

The only reason why I bought this pull-starter was because I got tired of 30 mins racing and not being able to restart the car with standard pullstarter because it would be jammed up with dirt. But for the cost of the fid racing pullstarter and all the messing around with it. You would be better off just keeping your standard pullstarter and accepting that it’s a regular service item. Or buy a Turtle Racing v2 pull starter or maybe an oem zenoah easy starter

Last edited:
Now even tho this is an old post, I also don't agree. I had the same fid pull start on my vekta and it was great. @Biscuits you have to be doing it wrong bro. A pull start should last for a very long time without service.
I’m talking from experience. I have the a fid racing pullstarter and it’s crap. Either you do not use your car very much and it’s a shelf Queen or you are making things up. The fid racing pull starter that I have is rubbish. Once you take either of the springs out you can not get them back in. FACT. It will jam up and not return, the same as any other pull starter under the same conditions. FACT. The cut out for the pull cord to winde the return spring up to tension the spring is not in-line with where the cord exists the spool. FACT. The air vents are all wrong and immediately block up with grass. FACT. Especially when it’s wet. FACT. I have even had conversations with the company in China about the issues to make the pull starter better. FACT. Which they have done nothing about except write me a nice reply and thanking me.

All things being equal and you have the same pull starter demonstrate to me on a youtube video of you servicing your fid racing pull starter. Make note of the washer inside the pull starter because the dimensions on the spool bolts are all wrong

Hope that helps 👍 🙂

I use my car that the fid racing pull starter is fitted to and it is fitted to my hpi baja 5b. My baja will foul up any pull starter within half a tank of fuel hard bashing racing on a dusty track. The baja 5b is a good test bed for the pull starter because it’s in such a position that the pull starter gets hammered. The pull starter on other vehicles is not subject to the same external environmental hammer or under the conditions that I bash and race. Try to remember that

If I say something is crap. Then it is crap

I have already gone back to my zenoah pull starter and clean it out every tank of fuel and it works just as good and is a fraction of the price. For me, the fid racing pull starter does not work because you can not service it. FACT

Either you have never taken your fid racing pull starter apart and are bullshitting. Or you have a different fid racing pull starter to me. FACT

The zenoah pull starter also fits better and I can get my 5t engine guard and skid plate in. Which I can not with the fid racing pull starter because it is too big. FACT

PS. I have a turtle racing pull starter on my losi 5t that is 5 years old and still going with hardly any maintenance. If I had the fid racing pull starter on the losi it would probably be the same…

But it’s not. It’s on the baja. And it’s crap

Last edited:
Well you're honestly upset about this pull start issue 😅 You also don't know who I am. I run every type 5th scale imaginable. I drag race, course race and bash. You can check my YouTube videos for validation. I'm sure I have one on the fid in my vekta from years ago. I've upgraded that truck to big bore and now no longer have the pull start to do a service video for you. I have stock pull starts that have been on my rigs for years without issue, both big and small bore. I still believe your not starting your rigs correctly, sorry👍🏼

https://youtube.com/@CrucialRC?si=TEycSHFzXb_P5RdN

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here is a lesson on how not to join a forum,
1; join forum,
2;dig up an old thread and get angry cos you busted yer pull start,
3; hurl abuse at other established members cos they dare to disagree with you,

@Biscuits you're doing something wrong if you had to shorten the springs,
makes you wonder how fid got them in when they were new?

It's definitely a knock off, fid no longer sells gas powered trucks. They did eight years ago I guess when the review was first posted. China is a great place to get stuff but they copy everything and take the name and slap it on. Not to mention if you notice your starter is getting full of grit....put a shield to stop it getting in, don't pull oil on it to hold the dust to it, understand when assemblies are put together, there is often special tools and assembly procedures that are secret.
Last of all you make me laugh with your ranting, FACT!!! LOL

Biscuits : I see that you did not understand what I wrote to you. the quality of the product you bought does not correspond to the quality of the original. that's why you have problems with it.. the original pull starter Fid can no longer be bought .. and it is a starter of excellent quality.and I will not comment on it any more.......

I’m on my phone at the moment so I am having problems attaching photos from my phone. I will post you photos of my fid racing pullstart so you can all see it to shut you all up. Not being rude but I’ve still got the box it came in and all the instructions. You mentioned that it’s no longer made and in that respect you can’t get it.

So basically what you are now telling me is that the fid racing pull starter out now is crap. But there is an old one out there that is good… is that the truth is it. Really…

I paid over £100 for this pull starter when I purchased it 3 years ago. As soon as I can work out how to get some pictures up I will post them. I do not believe that there are different fid racing pull starters, as far as I can tell over the past few years. I believe that they are all the same as the one I have now.

Prove me wrong guys
This is my fid racing pull starter. I have had to cut my 5t engine guard just to get it on

IMG_3581.jpeg

This thing jams up with dirt just the same as my zenoah pull starter. Except it only affects the return spring on my fid racing pullstarter. My zenoah pullstarter is the opposite. It affects the pawl from coming out.

IMG_3582.jpeg

What is really good about the fid racing pull starter is the dog plate. It’s really nicely made and has bearings in it. But it’s no good if your pull starter will not retract if it’s full of dirt

IMG_3583.jpeg

This is my modified zenoah pull starter which works just as well. Doesn’t break. It just needs cleaning regularly. Which is easy to do unlike having to take the fid racing pull starter apart
IMG_3584.jpeg

You can clearly see that the zenoah pull starter fits much better. Is a fraction of the cost. Has far better vents on it which aid cooling and you can get a poop load of spares for it over the cost of one fid racing pull starter
IMG_3585.jpeg

I will quite happily post some pics of my fid racing pull starter if anyone still doesn’t actually believe me and that this is not a fid racing pull starter and some how, miraculously, there are other ones out there…

The proof is in the pudding so to speak, so ask me what pictures you require of on my fid racing pull starter and show me the differences and what is different about it compared to all the others

Last edited:
Cool, the whole hpi baja lower plastic was designed for a zenoah style recoil
Don’t dis respect us. It’s a tough way to ask for help.
I’m not disrespecting anyone. And I wasn’t asking for anyone’s help. I posted a review and everyone said I didn’t know what I was talking about. But I think I do. And I think that I am right.

IMG_3592.jpeg

That’s my car. Not 5 minutes ago after a full tank of fuel on the track and the zenoah pull starter is still working and when it does eventually foul up with dirt it’s easy to take apart and service. The fid racing one is not. It’s a waste of money in my view
The only thing I did to this was put a turtle racing pull start handle on it because it’s black instead of having that orange handle which I think looks out of place

IMG_3594.jpegIMG_3593.jpeg

If you are telling me that you can dismantle this thing to clean it out and get the springs back in I don’t believe you. Having tried and then having to mod the springs by shortening them down. Where they now work and can be refitted just fine. But it’s not worth £100+. That’s my honest opinion
Personally I don’t see any problem with the standard zenoah pull starter if you have any engine up to 34cc. That’s just what I think having now been there and done it.

I have also been on this forum for over 15 years but forgot my username hence just rejoining. Didn’t mean to piss anyone off. I was just venting my frustration out on you from this product having invested all that money and coming up with something so little.

If you want to buy one. Be my guest

Last edited:
@Biscuits its just the way you came across in your post number 9 above fella,
you just seemed a bit ranty and upset cos a couple of other members disagreed with you and have had no issues with the fid starter,
you came across wrong thats all,

i'm pretty sure i know you from way back in the old baja forum uk days,
going off the pic of your baja its almost the same as back then on baja uk,
obvious you're at bashfest at the moment going off your last pics,
i'm not gonna say your name on open forum but if you are who i think you are then i'll just say titanium layshaft/input shaft for a pcsc and if that makes sense to you then yes you are who i think you are,
people are a friendly bunch for the most part on here, and i hope you stick around and make some friends (y)

I bought this pullstarter based on this review and it is crap. The tolerances are all wrong. It looks like the plastic parts are from something else and the alloy bits have been made to fit. It is completely unserviceable. You cannot get the springs back in. It’s also big and you can’t get your bodywork to fit round it on some rc models. The ONLY part of this pullstarter that is of any use and decent is the dog plate. Even the cut out for the pull starter cord is in the wrong place. Everything about it is wrong. Except the dog plate

It’s basic engineering and common sense. Which this thing has none of. Useless piece of crap and do not waste your money

I have had to cut both of the springs down by a considerable amount just so I can get them back in. After an hour of solid bashing the thing jams up and will not return. But you can’t service it and clean it out unless you modify the springs by shortening them down. As soon as either of the springs break I will be throwing this thing in the bin. It’s a waste of good money for what it is

The only reason why I bought this pull-starter was because I got tired of 30 mins racing and not being able to restart the car with standard pullstarter because it would be jammed up with dirt. But for the cost of the fid racing pullstarter and all the messing around with it. You would be better off just keeping your standard pullstarter and accepting that it’s a regular service item. Or buy a Turtle Racing v2 pull starter or maybe an oem zenoah easy starter
You were replacing regular pull starts every 30 minutes? Mine last about 15 sessions before I replace it and most of the time they are still ok but starting to wear out

Cheers guys. Thank you.

Yes just pissed off someone saying that this thing is good because it’s not. Definitely not at £100+. I won’t tell you where I got it from either. It wasn’t until I used it at the last bashfest from being fitted new that I had to take it apart and clean it. It was impossible to get the springs back in and I don’t believe that this is not a genuine fid racing pull starter. It’s also full of grease. I would expect dry lube and springs that are an alloy that do not corrode (rust) and dry lube used for that kind of money. I had to cut around 4 inches off the big thick spring and about 1/3 of the return spring off to get them back in. The pull start still works the exact same, except I can service it now easily and get the springs back in. But seriously, to say that this thing is really good and worth the £100+ it’s not. I’ve already taken it off because it’s more hassle than it’s worth. My modded zenoah pullstarter is way better to maintain. Any road…

Cheers guys. Hope that was of some help 👍🙂

I had to service my turtle racing starter much more than the original zenoah, since I put the metal drive dog and retofitted a wire it works great. But wow you drive threw alot of stuff that will block up lots of things and cause problems, outer ware covers will block, zenoah head cooling fins will pack full of dead blades of grass flywheel will pack so full of dust it barely pushes air to cool... after I repeatedly overheated my stock 26 then rebuilt it, I just stayed away from grass. It does put a damper on bashing places but I never have overheating and rarely a pullstart problem since

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks