FireHammer Differential Repair/Replacement #1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigger the Better

LSF Plus Member
PLUS member
FireHammer (Clone) Differential Repair/Replacement

Here are a few tips when replacing, repairing or maintaining your differential.
Remove the differential from the rear of the vehicle and disassemble. To disassemble it you can follow the steps below in reverse.
These are the parts you will find inside your differential.

DSC03150.jpg

Install the differential gear pin, two small washers, and both small differential gears. Push the gears to the outside against the housing.

DSC03151.jpg
DSC03152.jpg

Lay the outside spider gears against the differential cage on opposite sides. Lightly push on the gears evenly until the gears slide into place. This can be done with the Firehammer differential gears but cannot be done with the FG's.

DSC03153.jpg
DSC03159.jpg

If the gears mesh correctly you should be able to see through the insides of both gears from outside the gear housing. Check the mesh by installing both outdrives. If they will not go in remove the two gears slightly and rotate one gear to the next tooth and try again until the mesh is right. Make sure you install the two washers behind the outdrive gears for the correct mesh.

DSC03155.jpg

Install a the thickest stickiest high temp grease, gear lube, or even silly puddy to the gear housing and cover the gears.

DSC03161.jpg

Last edited:

Install the Differential sleeve and mark the outside of the sleeve on the housing with a marking devise. Install a small bead of silicone sealant to the housing.

DSC03164.jpg

Install the sleeve by sliding it over the housing and install the stop screw, I recommend also installing a small washer to help hold the sleeve in place.

DSC03167.jpg

Install the ring gear with the four screws. Make sure to apply locktight to the screws.

DSC03168.jpg
DSC03169.jpg

Install sealant on the top side of the housing and also on the bottom at the ring gear, this will help keep the grease in the differential.

DSC03172.jpg
DSC03170.jpg

If at any time you would like to install more grease you can remove an outdrive and install the grease through the housing.

DSC03173.jpg

Don't forget to finish off your installation by following #9 & #10 Here:

FG Differential Upgrade Thread

Last edited:
BTB:

Thanks! If you are ever in KC, let me know. I owe you a few beers. This will be immensely helpful when I get my parts! :)

This should be a sticky for the Clone forum!

c

Ordered my Alloy Diff Case (FG #08484) from RCNutsHobbies this afternoon. The gears from TQRcRacing.

Guess I'm back to running my nitro and Wild Willy until the parts get here.:(

Has anyone tried using 100K weight diff lube in your diff instead of grease?

I have a alloy housing and new gears coming and I have a tube of this 100K diff lube. Do you think it will work and not leak out?

Randy

Has anyone tried using 100K weight diff lube in your diff instead of grease?

I have a alloy housing and new gears coming and I have a tube of this 100K diff lube. Do you think it will work and not leak out?

Randy

Are you looking for a "Posi action"? If so... Try using the 100,000 wt diff lube... It is about as close to locking your diff as you can get, without JB weld! If 100,000wt isn't thick enough try the JB weld! The lube may leak a bit (I'm not sure it doesn't on my FG M/T) But I know the JB won't!

Hope this helps,
Trip..

BTB you are a GOD!!! HE HE! hey thanks for the info, extra info always comes in handy.

Trip..

I got the Fg one coming too since I needed to over haul that one too. There is a slight difference since the clone gears are angled and the FG's are straight, you can't just push them in like the clone dif you need a balancing act. I will get it up in the Fg area ASAP.

I love it when I order a part and the company I order the part from notifies me 24 hours later that it is out of stock AND won't have it for several weeks.

That kind of service is sofa king bad. If it isn't in, don't have it listed on your site, if you do have it listed, kindly have an "OUT OF STOCK" notification.

So now I'm out even longer on the alloy diff. I won't put that damn plastic thing back in, that's for sure. I have some e-mails out tonight to different places to see if anyone has it so I don't go through the hassle of ordering it again and losing a day.

Thanks for listening to my rant! ;)

I'm actually looking for the whole housing FG #08484. RcNuts was the one I attempted to order from. I have an order at fgsupply.com right now...we'll see where that goes. They have yet to respond to my e-mails as well as a couple others just asking about availability. Love it. Must be nice to be rolling in the bucks to be able to ignore customers!

I guess I need to stand somewhere with a sign! HAVE MONEY, WANT TO PURCHASE AN ALLOY DIFF HOUSING.

CSP1971,

Try : rc-car-online-shop.de

That is where I got mine, look under carson upgrade parts. They have one that looks a little better than the FG one and it cost a little less.

Still waiting for mine to come in but they sent an email saying it shipped, so it must be on the way to me from Germany.

Randy

I'm actually looking for the whole housing FG #08484. RcNuts was the one I attempted to order from. I have an order at fgsupply.com right now...we'll see where that goes. They have yet to respond to my e-mails as well as a couple others just asking about availability. Love it. Must be nice to be rolling in the bucks to be able to ignore customers!

I guess I need to stand somewhere with a sign! HAVE MONEY, WANT TO PURCHASE AN ALLOY DIFF HOUSING.

I was at FGperfRC the other day they are right next door to Molzer Mowery Racing and they said they are having some difficulty keeping up with demand on the alloy housing and they MMR were all out. Sounds like you will need to find someone that is sitting on one to get one right away.:(

BtB: I have to remember, it's spring and everyone is playing with their cars now!!!! Dangit!

BadAss42: If fgsupply doesn't have it in stock (if they ever get back to me), then i'm ordering from Germany. When I ordered my pinion and motor mount from them, i received the parts in a week!

FGsupply charged my credit card and then told me they didn't have FG08484. I called Largescalerc and the gentleman there assured me he had a few coming in on Thursday. I ordered mine from them. Now if TqRcracing.com would just ship my gears. We'll see how they do, I ordered the parts from them on May 25th. Still nothing.......:mad:

Since I've been waiting for everything for so long now, I've become a master at tuning my nitro truck and am beginning to wonder why I purchased a large scale in a city that doesn't sell a damn thing for large scale (clone, hpi or otherwise).

Live and learn I guess.

TqRcRacing

Gets better and better, now tqrcracing has no record of my order, yet my card is charged. Love it. Waiting waiting waiting.......

*Update*
Just arrived home to find it! They shipped it June 5, a bit late for some reason. Oh well.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks