first-timer questions: few issues with HPI Baja 5b Flux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smirkracing

Hi All,

Just got through the first few runs with my brand new Baja 5b Flux. Here's what I am running:
- castle 2028 1100kv motor
- CNHL 9500 mah 4s packs (two of them, running in series, 8s total)
- savox 0236MG

Everything else is stock per the manual. This was my first-ever large scale RC - everything up until now has been 1/8th, 1/10th, and some mini and micro stuff as well. Luckily kit-building translated over just fine and I had a good time with the build.

Here are some of the issues I had on day 1 (and I'd greatly appreciate your help with any of these):

1. rear sway bar does not stay in place - as soon as the suspension flexes, the bar pops out from underneath the two plastic holders and then just moves around freely. I have looked at this over and over again, and I can't figure out if i'm doing something wrong. As far as I can tell, those little plastic holders don't have much chance of holding onto that sway bar rod (which has a lot of force on it). I can pry the little holders away from the mounting point with my fingernails, and the sway bar itself exerts much more force that my fingernails. As a result of this, my front inside tires lifts up a lot during turns. However, turning in general is ok, and the rear end seems pretty firmly planted. Anyone know of some beefy aluminum upgrade parts? Anyone else having this problem?

2. The battery cover is not nearly strong enough to hold the heavy batteries during rollovers and/or crashes. Does anyone make an aluminum covers? So far my batteries have ended up spilling out of the vehicle at least 3-4 times... I guess I'll learn to become a better drive, but it would be nice if the batts would stay in place.

3. Top speed: I am getting just about 50mph on grass with stock tires, per the GPS. I would have expected a little more speed with 8s on the 1100kv motor. I am running the kit-supplied 14t pinion. Motor temps are very cool (can rest my hand on the motor). Batteries are lasting about 20 min, give or take. The batteries do get quite warm. I thinking of moving to a 16 or 18 tooth pinion. Any experiences here?

4. Diff oil in rear: I used the kit oil for the diff which I think is 5k. Right now the car seems fine, but 5k seems so incredibly light for such a big vehicle. Any experiences on going thicker?

Thanks all!

Hi All,

Just got through the first few runs with my brand new Baja 5b Flux. Here's what I am running:
- savox 0236MG

Everything else is stock per the manual. This was my first-ever large scale RC - everything up until now has been 1/8th, 1/10th, and some mini and micro stuff as well. Luckily kit-building translated over just fine and I had a good time with the build.

Here are some of the issues I had on day 1 (and I'd greatly appreciate your help with any of these):

1. rear sway bar does not stay in place - as soon as the suspension flexes, the bar pops out from underneath the two plastic holders and then just moves around freely. I have looked at this over and over again, and I can't figure out if i'm doing something wrong. As far as I can tell, those little plastic holders don't have much chance of holding onto that sway bar rod (which has a lot of force on it). I can pry the little holders away from the mounting point with my fingernails, and the sway bar itself exerts much more force that my fingernails. As a result of this, my front inside tires lifts up a lot during turns. However, turning in general is ok, and the rear end seems pretty firmly planted. Anyone know of some beefy aluminum upgrade parts? Anyone else having this problem?

2. The battery cover is not nearly strong enough to hold the heavy batteries during rollovers and/or crashes. Does anyone make an aluminum covers? So far my batteries have ended up spilling out of the vehicle at least 3-4 times... I guess I'll learn to become a better drive, but it would be nice if the batts would stay in place.

3. Top speed: I am getting just about 50mph on grass with stock tires, per the GPS. I would have expected a little more speed with 8s on the 1100kv motor. I am running the kit-supplied 14t pinion. Motor temps are very cool (can rest my hand on the motor). Batteries are lasting about 20 min, give or take. The batteries do get quite warm. I thinking of moving to a 16 or 18 tooth pinion. Any experiences here?

4. Diff oil in rear: I used the kit oil for the diff which I think is 5k. Right now the car seems fine, but 5k seems so incredibly light for such a big vehicle. Any experiences on going thicker?

Thanks all!

1. Mine does exactly the same thing..!! not sure if any other companies make alloy clips?? If anyone knows please tell us.!!

2. Agreed, the battery box needs better secure fixing, I was thinking of using velcro straps inside the box somehow, but haven't figured out how to fix them yet 🤔

3. I bought a 16T pinion to try, I'm using the Hobbywing Max5 800kv combo in mine and it's pretty fast as it is stock 14T pinion.

4. I did the same, built it as per HPI instructions and I thought wow only 5k in the diff but it seems ok so far..

The original 5B Flux had on-throttle traction issues with the stock tires. It would immediately spin on loose dirt and be uncontrollable if you were using the stock tires. I think HPI has you install very thin oil to make sure the rear diff doesn't lock very much under acceleration.

#1, I found these: https://joferusa.com/collections/radio-control-cars/products/hb-65-aluminum-sway-bar-mount-for-hpi
I've ordered a set - it's a simple part so I'm hopeful these will do the trick.

#2: I used velcro and so far that seemed to help (I did a few cartwheels and everything stayed in place). I'll have to run more to see if it really holds up. Feels a little janky though... would prefer a permanent fix.

#3. 16t and 18t on order - we'll see how it goes!

#4. Thanks @ssuperchieff sounds about right.

I put the JoferUSA mounts on mine as well. I believe another option might be the Rovan ones, but they’re huge.

The lid on mine pops off as well, but at least the body keeps me from losing it. Maybe I’ll try Velcro too.

I haven’t speed tested mine, but I’m running the HW Max5 combo in it with an 800kv motor and get about 10 minutes on 8s.

Hi All,

- savox 0236MG

Thanks all!
6.5k instead,
buy a soft pack(cheaper and come with a foam packer,goldbat are decent)
Yes,used polystyrene cement

I ran the Baja as hard as I could in a small field (basically an oval). Tried to get on full throttle as much as possible. The pair of 9500mah 4s packs in series lasted about 14 min.

I think the batteries will last a little longer under “normal” driving but if you are really on throttle all the time the power consumption is huge.

Probably worse in sand… which is where I want to go next.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks