Fresh compression test data CY 36cc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar_Bus

So I've run about 1 tank of fuel heat cycling my new engine (dam this takes FOREVER ! ). I thought I would do a compression test on my engine and post the data for others to reference. When you do a compression test it's a good idea to set the throttle to wide open to allow max air to enter the cylinder. It took me 4 pulls and my engine reached maximum psi at about 100-105 PSI. Now I have a baseline for top end maintenance moving forward. Most of the 2 stroke motocross engines recommend you change the piston ring after 10 hours. These engines only use a single ring design, and i'm sure the quality is crap so once I see a drop in compression or I seem to have trouble tuning / poor top end performance I can just do a compression test and it will tell me the condition of the top end. My compression may come up a little bit as the rings take a set but i'm guessing not much. Lastly if you do observe low numbers, say 85 psi , try adding some oil into the cylinder and re test. If your compression numbers jump up then you now know you have top end issues.

Last edited:
For my engine break-in i'm running a 25:1 ratio. I actually have some "wiggle room" to play with dome squish. I tested my squish and it was .035". That's a pretty generous number. The target squish is .010-.020". I used a Rovan fiber base gasket which measured .040" . I ordered several different size copper gaskets from DDM. Think i'll experiment with thinner base gaskets and see how they work, and how that affects my compression psi.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks