Front 40teeth on a 4WD leo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't get it guys as its a belt drive set up with no center diff how can the front diff be geared different to the rear diff don't all 4 wheels travel at the same speed,,doing this will make the fronts spin up quicker than the rears but the rears will be pushing harder than the fronts,,,,call me thick but i just don't get it
.................You are right Renbar this type of gearing will cause the front end and rear end to fight each other. Unless you put a Oneway diff on the front. This is what the guys racing 1/8 scale onroad have been doing for years. This is a crude form of traction control. If the rear wheels are spinning no traction the oneway in the front end senses this and the oneway locks up causing the front wheels to provide traction and grip until the rear wheels regain traction and start to grip and start pushing the front tires. When the rear wheels start pushing the front wheels the oneway disengages and lets the front wheels freewheel. The 1/8 scale onroad racers call this the over-drive effect. And they maxiumize this effect by gearing & running smaller diameter front wheels compared to the rear. In order to put a 40 tooth gear in your 4 wheel drive FG you are also going to have to make a belt tensioner to take up th slack in the belt . And your overdrive effect will not be as great as what the 1/8 scale onroad guys can get because are front and rear tires are the same size and hard to reduced in diameter. I put a 40 tooth gear and oneway in my Sportline 4wd FG and I did noticed that I could stay in the throttle longer and my car turned sharper.:)

Last edited:
.................You are right Renbar this type of gearing will cause the front end and rear end to fight each other. Unless you put a Oneway diff on the front. This is what the guys racing 1/8 scale onroad have been doing for years. This is a crude form of traction control. If the rear wheels are spinning no traction the oneway in the front end senses this and the oneway locks up causing the front wheels to provide traction and grip until the rear wheels regain traction and start to grip and start pushing the front tires. When the rear wheels start pushing the front wheels the oneway disengages and lets the front wheels freewheel. The 1/8 scale onroad racers call this the over-drive effect. And they maxiumize this effect by gearing & running smaller diameter front wheels compared to the rear. In order to put a 40 tooth gear in your 4 wheel drive FG you are also going to have to make a belt tensioner to take up th slack in the belt . And your overdrive effect will not be as great as what the 1/8 scale onroad guys can get because are front and rear tires are the same size and hard to reduced in diameter. I put a 40 tooth gear and oneway in my FG and I did noticed that I could stay in the throttle longer and my car turned sharper.:)

As far as I know the oneway works just when you are on the throttle and disengage the traction when you release the gas. This shoud mean heaving a 4WD when you push on the gas and a rear 2WD when you are cornering or releasing the gas preparing a corner. The bad thing is when you are accellerating, the oneway connects both wheels like a single thing so, for example, if you are accellerating inside a long corner, since the one way is not a differential, the inner wheel is forced to rotate at the same speed of the outside wheel (or the contrary, it depends on the grip on the ground....) so that it needs to spin on the ground, making the car not very stable.
Think about that and please tell me if I'm wrong.....

The oneway kicks in when the rear loses traction. Usually helps on take off and when you go into the corner if you have it set up right, the oneway stablizes and pulls the car thru the turns. When I drive my Sportline 4wd FG it is very stable and I don't get off the throttle when I go into the turns because I know my oneway will pull the car thru the turns. And the more throttle I give it the tighter it turns.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks