Front and rear drive shaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokes78

My first dbxl was breaking in the motor 5 min into it the rear center driveshaft broke. Sent it back got my money back turned around and bought another. Breaking in the motor today and the front one broke on this one. Both times it’s the pin holding the ball in the socket at the differential. The new replacement ones are $45 and they are a knuckle type. Anyone else have these issues with the stock shafts.

I think it’s funny cause it has axle and dogbone shafts or whatever they are called but in the manual it calls for and shows the knuckle type part los252021 for rear and los252019 for the front. Not sure if there is a set screw on the back of it or not that holds that pin in there or if it is pressed in. Guess I’ll find out when I take it apart. This is my first “real” big boy rc lol. Think I might try a roll pin or just a bolt and lock nut to hold it together. Any thoughts?

I had a similar problem with my original DBXL. Ended up with the Team Hoonage shafts as they are cut down 5ive shafts. The pin used to come out all the time but the never happens with a 5ive. There's others though. I think FID do some shafts as well.

First off, the u joint style is the old original style. If no one told you, they need taken apart and degreased and the set screws need loctite on them. Flm make much better center shafts. The pins arw held captive. The team hoonage are great, but rather expensive. And wont work with a factory pinion. If you go and search for my dbxl freshing up you'll see what I mean. The fid/ no name ball drives I haven't tried out, they in theory should hold up well, but are of unknown quality. They are inline price wise, but I feel you would need to buy 2 sets just to have them on hand in case they fail. With the flm shafts you really just need new pins.

I think a lot of people had the front center drive shaft pin come lose and start taring up the front steering ackermann. This happened to me and was also well documented on Hemistorms early youtube video review of the DBXL. Critically, the grub screw and related parts should really be cleaned and loctited like Seandonato mentioned. After I did this, never had an issue with them coming loose again.

Center drive shaft pins coming loose and flying out is nothing new on RC cars. I've had the same thing happen to me on my Losi 8ight.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks