front end doesn't look right :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mardermark

Hi Everyone,

I have been on here for 2 years now but not yet posted, just been looking and admiring.

I bought a second hand very basic 23cc Marder from a local bloke who races them april 2012 and since then been bashing and upgrading bits according to my paypal balance.
in august /sept the rear end had a small situation where it ended up in many bits after the main gear and diff decided they didnt want to work anymore, so ripped it all apart and put it all back together made of alloy. whilst I was at it rebuilt all the shocks with new seals etc - what a difference!

All was dandy and running fine but the front bulkheads kept loosening themselves off, and the brakes needed attention, the wheels are too big etc etc, so over the xmas nights i disappeared to the man shed for a few hours a night to strip it down except the rear end this is just tinkered.

I got from a simonsfgspares on ebay, an alloy front end with shock tower at a good price, last night I mocked this up (posty hasnt bought me thread lock yet) but it just looks wrong, like the angle of the chassis plate is miles out, anyone know what angle it should be?

It looks wonky enough that the alloy plate that ties the bulkhead to the servo saver pivot ends up sitting about 10-15mm from the chassis plate.

Heres some pics to see if anything looks untoward.

EC67E687-976D-4E67-B850-729F66B0E4A5.jpg

3ABBC84A-0E62-45D5-BCA3-995BBE089088.jpg

14E59C92-62C7-4CF3-B9AA-D49362F4C4AB.jpg

755B0969-0DD6-4E49-AF05-FC117AFD39D4.jpg

FE6C3189-26ED-48B4-AF85-96E87A974C30.jpg

I am aware the pins that hold the arms on and bushes need sorting out :D

Another thing is the body shell is fowling on the shock tower this isnt the end of the world for me as i have something up my sleeve for this but would be nice to run the shell at the moment.

anyone got any ideas??

many thanks in advance

Mark

Your right about your chassis plate mate, sometimes I'd they have landed hard or hand a front smash it bend the front kick up on the chassis, try flipping ya chassis upside down get a 30cm ruler and lay it on the flat part o the chassis this should be flat, I had same prob with my marder the chassis was bent I had about 10 of deflection on it looked like a banana, if you chassis is flat then you just need to adjust the kick up on the front of your chassis this is common most marder owners will tell you the same, stick the kick up in a vice and either straighten it slightly or bend it more depending on how far out you are from your servo saver post. Will try dig out some pics

Thanks for that hendo. I have checked with a straight edge and the main body of the chassis is bob on, I'm turn I extended up the straight edge to the very from of the kick and measured the distance, this is 30mm there abouts from the underside to the top of straight edge.
Would you mind comparing for me if that's alright!?

Many thanks
Mark

That looks about the same as mine but more polished!!

After more looking and researching it turns out it is the bulk heads at fault they are for an on road so have the 17degree rise built in to them that compensates for a flat chassis. So thus giving my front end a 34 degree kick up causing all the greif.

So there packaged up ready to return for replacements.
Thanks for your help though! It confirms my chassis might be straight! Lol
Where abouts do you bash? I'm not to far from you might be good to meet for a bash when I get mine rebuilt.

That would explain the angles been wrong then, As you can see from chassis mine ain't together at the minute, had my marder on the beach up in Lincolnshire last month so now having a deep clean, that's why the chassis plate is polished, hopefully another week or two I might have mine up and running again, I normally bash at bmx track in Bramford or the bmx track in Ipswich or I've. Been a couple times to the was land next to the industrial estate next to the a14 I think it was where Essex bashers had one of there last meet up before Christmas but def have to arrange a meet up, google earth in Colchester near the zoo where all the quarrying is looks amazing but I highly doubt you can get access to that?

That would explain the angles been wrong then, As you can see from chassis mine ain't together at the minute, had my marder on the beach up in Lincolnshire last month so now having a deep clean, that's why the chassis plate is polished, hopefully another week or two I might have mine up and running again, I normally bash at bmx track in Bramford or the bmx track in Ipswich or I've. Been a couple times to the was land next to the industrial estate next to the a14 I think it was where Essex bashers had one of there last meet up before Christmas but def have to arrange a meet up, google earth in Colchester near the zoo where all the quarrying is looks amazing but I highly doubt you can get access to that?

Ahhh fair enough it does look very nice polished!!

I have heard about the quarry but never ventured there, I used to go to waste ground behind tollgate retail park but they started chucking houses up on it now :(

I will get in touch when I have it working. Be good to meet up!

another local basher sweet you guys going to the Zenoah cup in feb nr Chelmsford been to the last 2 great day out will have to arrange a bash

Ooh Kirby cross that's my stomping ground!!! Where abouts are you? I used to reside in thorpe road about 3 mins from what used to be the hare and hounds.

Yes be good to bashing with new faces and cars!

What's this zenoah cup about? Might be able to go!

no mate just watching hopefully going on the sat maybe sunday as well

honestly it is a great event and there's always's loads of bits for sale and everybody's friendly even mike1970 lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks