Front One-Way Diff for 4WD On-Road Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supa_Mario

Hi guys,

I need some advise/feedback on the front one-way diff. Currently I own a FG 4WD on-road car. I have been hearing a lot of positive stuff from the smaller scale racers (1/10, 1/8) about the front one-way differential on a 4WD car. Have anyone with a largescale 4WD car tried the one-way diff on their cars? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages? I would appreciate if someone can enlighten me on this. Don't quite understand on when will all the 4 wheels be powered, when the front one-way kicks in and what triggers the 4 wheels to power up again. As I mentioned, I am unclear on the front one-way unit. Pls advise. Tks!

the front one way will allow the front wheels to be driven when under throttle, however they will freewheel when coasting or braking. it basicly combinds the forward traction of a 4wd with the turn in of a 2wd car. running a one way in a large scale is a little different then the smaller stuff as with those you have a central driveline brake and a 1/5 scale has front and rear brakes. with only one brake on a 1/10 or 1/8 scale if you get on the brakes even lightly with a one way the car will spin right around (think pulling the hand brake on a real car). not so on a 1/5 scale as you have the front brakes. the one way will also allow you to adjust brake bias.

One way diff 4wd

Found this FG with front one way bearing diff on german ebay and I rebuild it can't wait to try it

Attachments

• 20141123_114949.jpg
    20141123_114949.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 57
it has been my experience on the track the one way makes the car easier to drive but is about a second a lap slower. the car will push under power coming out of a turn causing you to let off. I found with diff in front you can stay in the throttle through the apex & out the turn & still keep a tight line.

Oneways like big sweeping high traction turns. My oneway diff when I apply the throttle does not push, it just turns sharper, check your set up.

I agree with the first part of your statement but not the rest. having a one way in front when under power is a straight axle. when turning the outside wheel needs to turn faster then the inside wheel. with a one way under power this can't happen. so the wheels brake traction & spin. so now if the rear tires are hooked up the car will push. if your car turns sharper this just means your rear wheels are spinning & helping the car to rotate. this is drifting & not the fastest way around a turn.

Last edited:
That is not how my car handles. I have my car setup so my One-way diff on the front end kicks in when my rear wheels lose traction. Thats what I want it to do since our turns are fasst sweeper turns. And if you think a oneway diff setup is for drifting then you need to tell the 1/8 scale onroad racers that they are drifting because alot of them use a Oneway and they look like they are going very fast thru the turns.

I think Oneways are good for fast wide high traction sweeper turns and gear diffs using diff oils to adjust the slip are better for road courses that have alot of hairpin turns and are very technical. Use what works the best for you, what works for me may not work for you .. Have a good day Rager

you can not compare 1/8 scale to 5th scale. 8th scale is a very light low center of gravity overly powered car on foam tires on vht that drives like a rc car(point & shoot). 5th scale is a very heavy high center of gravity on rubber tires with so so power & drives like a real car(not point & shoot). and just so I know how do you get the overdrive right on a 5th scale. all the legal tires are the same diameter?

The
Wow! Never thought of that. So what's the verdict? What happens when the front end goes faster than the back? As in handling.

If placed on the front diff, the 40T gear allows to overdrive the front wheels (front wheels spin slightly faster than rear), causing the car to be pulled by the front tires rather than pushed by the rear.
you can not compare 1/8 scale to 5th scale. 8th scale is a very light low center of gravity overly powered car on foam tires on vht that drives like a rc car(point & shoot). 5th scale is a very heavy high center of gravity on rubber tires with so so power & drives like a real car(not point & shoot). and just so I know how do you get the overdrive right on a 5th scale. all the legal tires are the same diameter?

Smaller 40T gear in front diff will allow overdrive on the 1/5 scale car.

it sounds like you guys don't understand what overdrive is for. in the early days when 8th scale was 2wd they had traction roll problems. they way to fix this was to turn down the front tires to reduce side bite. when they went to 4wd they could not do this. running 2 different ratios front to rear is a bad thing.so they try'ed turning all 4 tires but this made the rear to loose. to fix this they came up with one way & overdrive pulley so now they could run smaller front tire & still have the same ratio. what you are doing with the 5th scale running smaller gear in front is causing wheel spin.probably the front(weighs less then rear).

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks