Fuel around choke and air intake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Catajig

Hi guys, having bother starting my Baja.

While trying to start it, there's fuel leaking out the air intake and onto the filter. Not alot, but a noticeable amount.

I'm assuming this isn't normal? The engine itself is flooding frequently too while trying to start it. The plug is always covered in fuel when I check. It will occasionally fire, run for a few seconds then die. Carb is back to stock settings. Cold start is choke lever down and then back up once it "pops" right? It's a Walbro 997.

So far I've checked the coil gap, spark is good, plug is relatively clear/as it should be (new one on the way), primer bulb not cracked, carb gaskets clear and as they should be, fuel lines correct, RX pack is charged, fuel is fresh and 25:1, breather valve is clear,

Other symptoms are black liquid dripping from pipe when I tip it over to de-flood, it fires occasionally but always cuts out after 3 seconds, starts better if I give a little throttle.

Any help is always appreciated.

Hi, welcome to the forum! Have you had the carb off? And if so, are the gaskets fitted the correct way around? There's one in particular which needs to fit a certain way or it'll block up a port on the engine cylinder head. Do you have a spare carb to try? Sounds like possibly something is blocked inside to do with the Low Speed Needle.. or the rubber diaphragm is split (which has happened to me and it was a right PITA to get running). New carb and all sorted!

Hi, welcome to the forum! Have you had the carb off? And if so, are the gaskets fitted the correct way around? There's one in particular which needs to fit a certain way or it'll block up a port on the engine cylinder head. Do you have a spare carb to try? Sounds like possibly something is blocked inside to do with the Low Speed Needle.. or the rubber diaphragm is split (which has happened to me and it was a right PITA to get running). New carb and all sorted!
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah gaskets are all correct. I'm gonna try the LSN alot leaner than it should be from stock and see how that goes.

Second carb is on the way so will update soon.

Only ever give it 2 pulls with the choke on whether it pops or not then turn choke off and start it.
The black stuff coming out of the pipe is a mixture of fuel and carbon from it being flooded.
Have you tried screwing the idle screw in a bit?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks