Fuel Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misfits@1987

He's guys. Have a couple questions I would like to know everyone's opinion on. Looking into M5 for my 30 degree north. Right now it's a stock motor, but I'm looking into cutting the head and doing some port work and some carb work. I use to run vp110 straight in my mustang, but on these little engines I think it would run crappy being the fuel burns longer and they don't have the compression unless worked up.I was thinking about mixing 1:1 vp110 and enthanol free gas, but then you have 2 jugs have to go to 2 different places. Plus the cost of 110 at $19 a gallon vs M5 at $12. So I'm intrested if anyone is ruining methanol fuels and what mods besides the carbs need to be done to support the fuel. I think the performance gains would be interesting. My buddy runs M5 in his circle track car which gave me the idea. I haven't had the chance to pick his brain about the subject. What do you guys think?

Methanol is a awful thing to run it absorbs moisture gobbles a tank in no time and after run as a precaution isn’t worth the bother. It all needs to be gone before you put it back on the shelf. I tried it on a motor years ago. Just because I always had methanol around. Geothermal loop antifreeze.

I run 93 aspen fuel. Just because it’s stable and no ethanol. Plus shelf life is 10 years. We all try to avoid the alcohol.lol. In our rc’s.

I ran Av gas years ago too with no issues. There isn’t any ethanol in it either but in Canada it’s leaded. So I avoid it now.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll just run a race gas instead. I use to run it most of my other toys, banshees, car,etc. I know it's a waste of money on these little engines but I do enjoy the smell. I think it will make the experience more fun.

Here is a video about it. More info. It’s tempting for sure but it’s also a pita!
Man that is tempting. I'm thinking about an obr motor. Wondering if I should just run the stock motor till it kills itself or just start looking into a obr sooner than later.?

Man that is tempting. I'm thinking about an obr motor. Wondering if I should just run the stock motor till it kills itself or just start looking into a obr sooner than later.?
I have a signature 34 ordered at OBR. 3-4 week back up for them. Ordered it on April 20. So it’ll be getting built soon. Sean will send me pix of the build.

Run the stocker and then pick up what your budget will allow. You will have fun with it either way!

I have a signature 34 ordered at OBR. 3-4 week back up for them. Ordered it on April 20. So it’ll be getting built soon. Sean will send me pix of the build.

Run the stocker and then pick up what your budget will allow. You will have fun with it either way!
Wow that's awesome. Congratulations, that's a sweet motor for sure!

For what its worth...I run VP Small Engine 4 cycle Fuel. Its 94 octane and ethanol free. Used to be able to get a 5 gallon jug for about $75 bucks. Now its closer to $100. Stores great, easy to tune, and even after 3 month of not running my rig, fires second pull every time! Pricey but where I live ethanol free options are limited.

Without intensive engine compression & carb mods you are just pissing money away, I can say this as I’ve tried C10 and changed to premium ethanol free.

It’s your cash do as you want but I base lined my stuff off my buddies rigs. Running race gas is useless if the engine isn’t built to optimize it. Not here to judge, do whatever makes you happy.🍻

You are right. Its is a waste of money for the high grade if the motor isnt built up. I think I will go with your advice, just stick to enthanol free 94 with 927 and call it a day. I fired it up today. Ran 4 heat cycles through and drove around not getting past 1/4 throttle. Goes pretty good for a stocker I think. Just had to open the idle screw to get it to start. But 2 pulls it starts. Now i got the itch , i want a modded motor. But i gotta listen to the vets here. Learn the car, learn to drive it good, run the motor till it kills itself, then go nodding. I appreciate all the advice already from everyone.

What's funny about that
Whats the heat cycle for? Give me any good reason. And don't give me the to break in the rings bull shite. That happens in minutes, and the rings need dynamic tension for that to happen properly. Ie it needs a load. There's no cam shaft to break in, no babbitt bearings, no interfearance piston. No reason to treat a two stroke like it's an ABC engine. You've accomplished nothing other then wasting time doing such things.

Whats the heat cycle for? Give me any good reason. And don't give me the to break in the rings bull shite. That happens in minutes, and the rings need dynamic tension for that to happen properly. Ie it needs a load. There's no cam shaft to break in, no babbitt bearings, no interfearance piston. No reason to treat a two stroke like it's an ABC engine. You've accomplished nothing other then wasting time doing such things.
When it comes to anything mechanical I tend to listen to my father who is owns and operates a automotive mechanic shop since 1980. Him having multiple race cars, last being a injected 14-71 468 on alchohol 8.00 car. Any 2 stroke I always had I ran a couple heat cycles driving around not exceeding 1/4 throttle, let cool down and do it again. My last 2 stroke being a 4 mil banshee. What's your mechanical background besides rc cars?

I use Aspen 4 alkylate petrol. Same as Coleman white gas your side of the pond. Absolutely brilliant.. no issues with fuel going off, no smell to speak of and super clean burning

When it comes to anything mechanical I tend to listen to my father who is owns and operates a automotive mechanic shop since 1980. Him having multiple race cars, last being a injected 14-71 468 on alchohol 8.00 car. Any 2 stroke I always had I ran a couple heat cycles driving around not exceeding 1/4 throttle, let cool down and do it again. My last 2 stroke being a 4 mil banshee. What's your mechanical background besides rc cars?
Heavy duty diesel. Been building engines for a very long time. From small brigg to v16 waukesha engines. The machine shop was very specialized in our capabilities. We got a lot of old and high performance engines, not limited to but including one off tractor pulling engines and obscure Knox engines. You like so many other that have specialized in one engine sub set take a cart blanc approach to engine break in. Start working on stuff that has no replacement parts on a shelf that you just put hundreds of hours into then stick it on a dyno to see what it does. I'll tell you from first hand experience and working under guys that forgot more then you and I will ever know, you don't know shite about engines.

Last edited:
Heavy duty diesel. Been building engines for a very long time. From small brigg to v16 waukesha engines. The machine shop was very specialized in our capabilities. We got a lot of old and high performance engines, not limited to but including one off tractor pulling engines and obscure Knox engines. You like so many other that have specialized in one engine sub set take a cart blanc approach to engine break in. Start working on stuff that has no replacement parts on a shelf that you just put hundreds of hours into then stick it on a dyno to see what it does. I'll tell you from first hand experience and working under guys that forgot more then you and I will ever know, you don't know shite about engines.
Your right my background is an automotive. I'm an autobody technician for 20 years. I never claimed or pretend I know much about engines. My father built ever motor in his race cars and has a very reputable reputation where were from. I always listened to his advice on engines. I'm going to be getting an obr 29 for methonal soon. Placing the call on monday. Now with these little carbs, being aluminum. Isnt the meth gonna corrode the hell out of it? I'm going to be getting obrs carb for meth, but my buddy who races micro sprints that run on M5 told me they anodize everything in there carburetor and fuel cells. What are your thoughts? I know meth is a pain in the ass but I like to be different.

Being different is fine if that’s your thing, but if you want enjoyment for a recreational hobby why introduce an unneeded hassle? You’ve pretty much answered your own question! Yes, methanol is hygroscopic and attracts moisture and will promote corrosion/pitting on aluminum. I spend enough time wrenching on my rigs due to hard running and parts breakage, I don’t need to introduce another factor to increase my maintenance time.

Why not just have them build you a high compression SS engine to run on 110 so you can say you run race gas?

Just my two cents.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks