DBXL 2.0 Fuel Tank Leak Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

Hi guys!

Here's a fix (works for me!) for those have had issues with there 2.0 fuel tank leaking from stock!

First off, there is a couple of reasons why the tank leaked..
  • Poorly sealed Mould Plug hole from factory
  • Breather hole in cap allowing fuel to pass
To fix the issue, I picked up a tank grommet that has 3 holes (instead of the stock 2 holes) this is to allow fitment of a breather tube, when fitting the 3rd tube for the breather cap through the grommet, its a VERY tight fit. I used a little oil to help push it through and also cut the end of the tube on an angle to help, I then fit a 1 way valve to the end of the Breather tube. I sealed the stock fuel cap breather hole using 2-Part gorilla epoxy. For the Plug Hole at the rear of tank, I used JAB Marine Weld which is a 2-Part mix, when set this is solid & resistible against fuel/oils etc so wont break down. So far my tank hasn't leaked even when my dibby ends up on it's roof ;)

tank mod 1.jpgtank mod 3.jpgtank mod 4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks , I was debating on adding a vent from a chainsaw in the fill cap where the vent hole is now.

Thought maybe a small bulkhead style fitting , if I can't find one I could spin one up on the lathe.
I did notice some fuel in the chassis after it was sitting so think I might actually have a leak near the bottom as well.
Have to pull it out when I get some time and investigate.
Thanks for the idea.

Thanks , I was debating on adding a vent from a chainsaw in the fill cap where the vent hole is now.

Thought maybe a small bulkhead style fitting , if I can't find one I could spin one up on the lathe.
I did notice some fuel in the chassis after it was sitting so think I might actually have a leak near the bottom as well.
Have to pull it out when I get some time and investigate.
Thanks for the idea.
yeh the leak is probably coming from the area where the plug hole is (in 1st pic above) if you look closely in this area on your tank, you will see a small "filled" circle, when i say filled, they would have been better off leaving it open!! its an absolute bodge up considering the cost of these EC models brand new, there is no excuse for these tanks to be fit/shipped in this condition. This was my 3rd tank under warranty because of the issue, it wasn't until this one I tried this method to fix it, which worked!

Hi guys!

Here's a fix (works for me!) for those have had issues with there 2.0 fuel tank leaking from stock!

To fix the issue, I picked up a tank grommet that has 3 holes (instead of the stock 2 holes) this is to allow fitment of a breather tube, when fitting the 3rd tube for the breather cap through the grommet, its a VERY tight fit. I used a little oil to help push it through and also cut the end of the tube on an angle to help, I then fit a 1 way valve to the end of the Breather tube. I sealed the stock fuel cap breather hole using 2-Part gorilla epoxy. For the Plug Hole at the rear of tank, I used JAB Marine Weld which is a 2-Part mix, when set this is solid & resistible against fuel/oils etc so wont break down. So far my tank hasn't leaked even when my dibby ends up on it's roof ;)

View attachment 92067View attachment 92068View attachment 92069
Nice. That's how my echo leaf blowers are set up.

yeh the leak is probably coming from the area where the plug hole is (in 1st pic above) if you look closely in this area on your tank, you will see a small "filled" circle, when i say filled, they would have been better off leaving it open!! its an absolute bodge up considering the cost of these EC models brand new, there is no excuse for these tanks to be fit/shipped in this condition. This was my 3rd tank under warranty because of the issue, it wasn't until this one I tried this method to fix it, which worked!
There was not a lot of fuel when I noticed the leak , maybe 1/4 tank. I was questioning something along the bottom. I'll pull it out end of the week or over the weekend.
Thanks

Hi guys!

View attachment 92067View attachment 92068View attachment 92069i took

Hi guys!

View attachment 92067View attachment 92068View attachment 92069
I took a plastic milk jug cut put small squared to cover the small hole and with my hand torch i melted it into the tank being plastic itself and that seald it for me good job on your seal sucks when it leaks onto the car itself lol

Well it looks like that’s the spot of my leak .

View attachment 92124
yup, thats the same for all dbxl 2.0 tanks it seems, Losi are also aware of this but have done nothing about it, very poor design & safety hazard imo! anyway there's a number of fixes, 2 of best which last & work are either what I mentioned (JB Marine Weld) or melting some plastic to seal the hole. ;) Whchever you do, be sure to prep/clean the area thoroughly of any fuel/muck etc, then key the area with some sand paper etc ;)

yup, thats the same for all dbxl 2.0 tanks it seems, Losi are also aware of this but have done nothing about it, very poor design & safety hazard imo! anyway there's a number of fixes, 2 of best which last & work are either what I mentioned (JB Marine Weld) or melting some plastic to seal the hole. ;) Whchever you do, be sure to prep/clean the area thoroughly of any fuel/muck etc, then key the area with some sand paper etc ;)

Thanks , I will probably try to fix it with plastic welding or melting plastic into the spot , kind of like when you repair a gouge in the bottom of a snow ski , we used to use P-tex that was nothing more than a plastic stick you would melt into what you were repairing. I will need to do some prep work prior.
Glue on this type of plastic is never happy with all the oils in it.

Haven't had time to look into it since pulling the tank.

Yeh glue is no use, but jb marine weld is spot on, as ots whats used in the marine industry, its resistant against heat/fuel/oil etc, did it with mine a few months ago, no leaks yet touch wood!

I contacted Horizon about this and sent a picture of the tank to them, good news is they are sending me a replacement for the one that has the leak.
I will without do a leak test before installing the replacement.

I contacted Horizon about this and sent a picture of the tank to them, good news is they are sending me a replacement for the one that has the leak.
I will without do a leak test before installing the replacement.
yup! I've had 2x replacements as the new ones had same issue! ..even the latest one they sent me does but that's the one that I used the JB Weld on and its been fine, but I may just send another email and get another tank as a spare, if they cba fixing the issue then I will just stock up on spare tanks!

yup! I've had 2x replacements as the new ones had same issue! ..even the latest one they sent me does but that's the one that I used the JB Weld on and its been fine, but I may just send another email and get another tank as a spare, if they cba fixing the issue then I will just stock up on spare tanks!
I will be sure to leak check before I do anything. If I have to fix it will be on the one that has had no fuel in it.
Will keep my fingers crossed I get a winner.

If the new one does leak I will try again for another replacement.

I thought about going aftermarket as well but would rather not pay to take care of someone else's issue.

I will be sure to leak check before I do anything. If I have to fix it will be on the one that has had no fuel in it.
Will keep my fingers crossed I get a winner.

If the new one does leak I will try again for another replacement.

I thought about going aftermarket as well but would rather not pay to take care of someone else's issue.
Seal all gas tank sealer.

Seal all gas tank sealer.
I just hate to use some type of sealer , glue , epoxy or whatever. It to me just seems like a half-azzed fix on something that isn't right.
Maybe if I was broken down on the side of the highway or out in the middle of a farmer's field but to start off like that just is not me. Nine out of ten times if it doesn't start off well it doesn't end well either.

I just hate to use some type of sealer , glue , epoxy or whatever. It to me just seems like a half-azzed fix on something that isn't right.
Maybe if I was broken down on the side of the highway or out in the middle of a farmer's field but to start off like that just is not me. Nine out of ten times if it doesn't start off well it doesn't end well either.
I get it but I've had to use it on real cars before and it works.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks