DBXL 2.0 GaFFLe’s DBXLe 2.0 ==> Work in Progress <==

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaffle

So after having bought this buggy over a year ago, I’ve finally taken the initiative to open it and get it running for the first time. I’m going to upgrade a few things first to my liking before putting it into commission:

1. BRP 7” Super Spikes (already have them)
    1. I had an extra set from my Losi 5ive-T 2.0 so I simply placed an order for the IRP hub adaptors.​
    2. I’m going the bling route and getting RCMax aluminum inserts for curb appeal. I know it’s more rotational weight but I want eye candy.​
  2. Aluminum chassis braces
    1. Leading Edge Machining (LEM) makes them in silver and they’re Made in USA​
  3. Upgrade steering servo and servo saver (Hitec D845WP of course)
  4. Castle XLX-2 w/ Castle 1100KV motor
  5. OSE8 connectors
  6. Futaba 7XPR radio (already have it, never installed)
That’s probably it. I‘m trying to stay away from too many aluminum hop-ups because I don’t want to increase the weight too much stifling performance + I know how much of a money-pit these 5th scalers can be. Updates to follow...
B471CC6C-3BD8-4741-A8E6-F67A8366292B.jpeg

You may need aluminum diff housings. You’re gonna be putting a poop load of strain on the drivetrain?
Hmmm... both front and rear? Who makes the best/most compatible ones for the 2.0?

And this brings on the question... should I be upgrading the bearings since I would have the diff housing taken apart? If so, who makes the best to replace them? Boca yellow?

Last edited:
So after having bought this buggy over a year ago, I’ve finally taken the initiative to open it and get it running for the first time. I’m going to upgrade a few things first to my liking before putting it into commission:

1. BRP 7” Super Spikes (already have them)
    1. I had an extra set from my Losi 5ive-T 2.0 so I simply placed an order for the IRP hub adaptors.​
    2. I’m going the bling route and getting RCMax aluminum inserts for curb appeal. I know it’s more rotational weight but I want eye candy.​
  2. Aluminum chassis braces
    1. Leading Edge Machining (LEM) makes them in silver and they’re Made in USA​
  3. Upgrade steering servo and servo saver (Hitec D845WP of course)
  4. Castle XLX-2 w/ Castle 1100KV motor
  5. OSE8 connectors
  6. Futaba 7XPR radio (already have it, never installed)
That’s probably it. I‘m trying to stay away from too many aluminum hop-ups because I don’t want to increase the weight too much stifling performance + I know how much of a money-pit these 5th scalers can be. Updates to follow...
View attachment 69009
Lol you have those Power Craze costco rc tires on your stand. My bro has been through like 5 of them

Lol you have those Power Craze costco rc tires on your stand. My bro has been through like 5 of them
Yeah, my boys (4 and 6yr) have a hodge-podge RC's right now. Those two, a pair of New-Brite Rock Crawlers, a Ducati Panigale V4 motorcycle, New Brite Bronco and an Axial Yeti Jr Can-Am Maverick. I'm thinking of getting the 7yr old a Traxxas Maxx (10th scale). I hear it's indestructible and the battery charging is simplified.

Lots of headaches with IRP BRP hub adapters on the DBXLe. It requires 13 x 20 x 1mm shims to space it properly (the 5T 2.0 needed nothing). Finally got them on and see that the lock bolts go in a little too deep when threading them on the hub splines. I had some Traxxas TX1675 bushings that take up the space nicely to get’er done.
image.jpg

Ran it for the 1st time today and this thing RIPS! I‘m stock with a 16T pinion right now. I put some straps on to keep up with the body clips. They’re connected to the front bulkhead plate. This was a great help at the park... 40AE4D44-6823-494C-94BE-9BEC99601F29.jpeg

All wheels on.
74838CC6-DADA-48F7-A25F-447550129FDF.jpeg

Drove it with 16T pinion and on the 2nd day, the front 5mm hinge pin ripped out sending the wheel sailing...

D39D7E14-FFF6-44FA-9A91-80726D2A2E8C.jpeg
So I’m looking for Titanium 5mm hinge pins to go in the front wheel axle OR I may use the thicker hinge pins from a Lost 5T and possibly drill out the stock axle to accommodate them. The IRP hub adapters accommodate both 5mm and slightly larger pins.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks