Gas/Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5thScaleHobbiest

Hello Everyone, Thank you so much for taking your time to read my post and help me:)

I have just bought a new Rovan, 36cc 360SC Rc Car. The problem I am having is that I don't know what type of oil for it is best and what type of gas. I have been talking on other forums and they have been saying that 91 could damage my engine since it has some ethanol in it, and other have been saying it dosent matter. I live in Los Angeles California so I am unable to get non ethanol gas unless it is for 4 stroke machines which is sold in Home-Depot but is specifically labeled for 4 stroke only. The highest gas Octane I could purchase at my local pump is 87 - 91. Will the 91 really cause any damage towards my engine? The second question I had is what type of oil. I keep hearing that Castrol927 "Premix only" is the best, but I have heard it does a ton of carbon build up resulting is tearing down the engine to clean it. I have been hearing others saying other ones are better but don't know exactly which one is the best oil. Does the oil have to be "Premix Oil" or can I use normal 2 stroke oil? Which oil do you guys think is the best for my machine and what type of gas do you guys think is ok to put in my machine.

I cannot thank you guys enough for helping me :),

Mack :)

Thank you very much Monster Air. I will use Castor927 from now on. Thank you so much for simplifying it for me :)

Have a wonderful holiday,

Mack :D
I also had another question if it dosen't bother, what is the best way to mix it? It comes with a mixing jug, but every person I have heard of complains that it mixes it far too rich and sometimes after running it once they have to put a brand new spark plug since the richness "killed it". What is your prefered method of mixing 25:1 ?

Thank you so much again,

Last edited:
I'll say this again. If you state c10 or higher race gas PLEASE STATE THAT IT HAS LEAD IN IT! Please have common sense and respect for others lungs as its a major inhalation hazard.

Lead in gas originally was to help the valve seats from getting hammered by the valves as they didn't harden the seats yet. anything above 93 is to run higher timing to suppress pre ignition knock and has no place with rc as compression ratios don't warrant leaded gas.

Lead is credited for being an octane booster but id rather outlast my engine in search of performance gains.

Last edited:
There is zero point in running anything over 93 in these unless it was specifically built for it, let alone a stock 36cc rovan. And as rep said there is a hazard with leaded fuel as it is very toxic to inhale

I drink beer, smoke, eat certain kind of brownies, don’t wash my hands after crapping, I don’t take covid shots, I use copious amounts of electricity while sleeping, and Ive been using VP c12 mixed with castor 927 @32/1 for almost 20 years now and have never seized a 2 stroke engine nor do my children have 6 arms. It smells amazing too.
Sorry but not sorry if it offends anyone.

@Mick Boomer your point is mute at the fact that not everybody gets cancer from smoking cigarettes but the pack says known to cause cancer because it's been proven to cause it in other individuals. Just because you didn't get it and someone else did doesn't even the odds of someone that doesn't have your genetics from beating the odds.

My grandfather made it to age 87 and he smoked, worked in a coal mine in Germany in the 40's and worked with fiberglass with no respirator for over 20 years and drank 7 and 7 along with chain smoking. 🤷‍♂️

@Mick Boomer your point is mute at the fact that not everybody gets cancer from smoking cigarettes but the pack says known to cause cancer because it's been proven to cause it in other individuals. Just because you didn't get it and someone else did doesn't even the odds of someone that doesn't have your genetics from beating the odds.

My grandfather made it to age 87 and he smoked, worked in a coal mine in Germany in the 40's and worked with fiberglass with no respirator for over 20 years and drank 7 and 7 along with chain smoking. 🤷‍♂️
Meanwhile, my grandad got lung cancer in his mid 70s and died at 78 from smoking.. Proving your point
Fought Vietnam and worked on the railroad
I drink beer, smoke, eat certain kind of brownies, don’t wash my hands after crapping, I don’t take covid shots,
You only just made yourself look like a skank bro 🤢

Ok ok guys points are over let's keep the main topic in focus. If your scared don't use it, and if you don't give a ***** then run it.

I have used c10 and also don't give 2 **** to the wind but if someone is asking then atleast inform the dangers of what your suggesting.

I'll say this again. If you state c10 or higher race gas PLEASE STATE THAT IT HAS LEAD IN IT! Please have common sense and respect for others lungs as its a major inhalation hazard.

Lead in gas originally was to help the valve seats from getting hammered by the valves as they didn't harden the seats yet. anything above 93 is to run higher timing to suppress pre ignition knock and has no place with rc as compression ratios don't warrant leaded gas.

Lead is credited for being an octane booster but id rather outlast my engine in search of performance gains.

Fuel Specifications: Octane – R+M/2 110 Motor Octane 105 Research Octane 115 Specific Gravity 0.735 RVP 6.5 Oxygenated No Leaded Yes Stoich Ratio 14.8:1 Color Purple
Typical Octane Value​

No lead.
Straight from gulf website.

I run 93 ethanol free with motul 800 at 28:1, but the main point is thiat 89, 93, 100 or 110 ethanol or ethanol free you most likely won’t notice any difference in performance or engine life. And any oil is fine as long as it isn’t cheap Walmart stuff. I like motul 800 though because I notice less carbon deposits over when I use to run castor but who knows

Ooooh ok thank you guys very much. I bought Luca's 2-Stroke Semi-Senthetic oil and was wondering if that oil is good since I went to multiple stores and could not find Castor927 and keep hearing that Semi-Senthetic isn't gonna protect my engine well or something is that true? idk xD The oil dosen't say "Pre-Mix", on it but on the back of the bottle it has a mixing chart. I want to modify it in the future and hope to keep the engine lasting forever. For the 110 Octane and fuel you guys are mentioning, How would I purchase this? I am in LA California and idk why but everywhere near me refuses to sell anything over 91 for some reason. Will it make my engine last longer or make running easier on my engine? If you guys don't think thats necessary I will keep using my 91 that I use in my other machines. The instructions don't have any specific instructions and states anything 87-93 gasoline, and just says, "2 Stroke Oil" without any mention of type synthetic quality or anything in that sort of nature. Sorry for the list of questions I am new to Gas Rc Hobby and don't quite fully unerstand this yet haha xD
Edit: Should I return the Semi-Synthetic oil for Full Synthetic oil?
Have a wonderful day,

Last edited:
Ooooh ok thank you guys very much. I bought Luca's 2-Stroke Semi-Senthetic oil and was wondering if that oil is good since I went to multiple stores and could not find Castor927 and keep hearing that Semi-Senthetic isn't gonna protect my engine well or something is that true? idk xD The oil dosen't say "Pre-Mix", on it but on the back of the bottle it has a mixing chart. I want to modify it in the future and hope to keep the engine lasting forever. For the 110 Octane and fuel you guys are mentioning, How would I purchase this? I am in LA California and idk why but everywhere near me refuses to sell anything over 91 for some reason. Will it make my engine last longer or make running easier on my engine? If you guys don't think thats necessary I will keep using my 91 that I use in my other machines. The instructions don't have any specific instructions and states anything 87-93 gasoline, and just says, "2 Stroke Oil" without any mention of type synthetic quality or anything in that sort of nature. Sorry for the list of questions I am new to Gas Rc Hobby and don't quite fully unerstand this yet haha xD
Edit: Should I return the Semi-Synthetic oil for Full Synthetic oil?
Have a wonderful day,
honestly for a low quality rovan engine it really isnt going to make a world of difference what oil you run, semi synthetic will be fine for your engine imo. just use whatever petrol you can get, i've been running 10% ethanol fuel in evrything 2 stroke for well over a year now and realistically it doesn't make THAT much of a difference other than degrading the rubber in your carb slightly quicker and your wasting your money on high octane fuel as these engines arent tuned for it, all octane is is a rating for how much the fuel can be compressed before it detonates without a spark which means that if an engine is tuned to run on 87 octance a higher octane fuel will do nothing other than burn your money quicker.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks