DBXL 2.0 Gearing (acceleration)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

Hi guys, just taken my dibby 2.0 out for 1st time, went well, got it tuned, i have an olimat tuned pipe.

But the acceleration lacks a little, engine still needs to loosen up a little i guess (ran about 2 tanks through it), mid to high end its like a rocket but low end/acceleration is a little slow off the mark so what's a good gearing (spur/pinion?) to go for over the stock gearing to give better acceleration please?

....forgot to say I'm using Madmax Land rippers which are larger rims/tires than stock so this will be the reason why acceleration is lacking!

You know on the original they didn't have those. I ran them on my 5b when it was a small bore. But definitely let someone else with a 2.0 decide. My guess is yes, you'll need them
i have them on it now for the stock pinion, it came with them, it keeps the mesh 100% as the bolt has no way to slide/move ;)

You'll definitely notice a difference with the 21. I was happy and stopped there. Again, I'm not going to speak over my knowledge level. You may want to wait for someone who has same rig and changed gears. My rig was different.

In my opinion l, I'd go with the +1 on pinion and see. Once you start it doesn't end.

You'll definitely notice a difference with the 21. I was happy and stopped there. Again, I'm not going to speak over my knowledge level. You may want to wait for someone who has same rig and changed gears. My rig was different.

In my opinion l, I'd go with the +1 on pinion and see. Once you start it doesn't end.
thanks buddy! ..yeah leaning towards 21T for now and see how it goes ;)
cpl of pics from todays break in :) 4.png5.png6.png9.pngfotor 2.png

Hi guys, just taken my dibby 2.0 out for 1st time, went well, got it tuned, i have an olimat tuned pipe.

But the acceleration lacks a little, engine still needs to loosen up a little i guess (ran about 2 tanks through it), mid to high end its like a rocket but low end/acceleration is a little slow off the mark so what's a good gearing (spur/pinion?) to go for over the stock gearing to give better acceleration please?

....forgot to say I'm using Madmax Land rippers which are larger rims/tires than stock so this will be the reason why acceleration is lacking!
adding teeth to the pinion will increase the top end with a sacrifice of acceleration/torque, removing teeth from the pinion will increase low-end torque/acceleration with a sacrifice of top speed

adding teeth to the pinion will increase the top end with a sacrifice of acceleration/torque, removing teeth from the pinion will increase low-end torque/acceleration with a sacrifice of top speed
so getting 21T will make mine worse in terms of acceleration? so id need 19T then ?

my FG ran 16T pinion with 48 spur that had similar size rims/tires (maybe just a little smaller but not much) but my FG was rear wheel drive only, im not sure tbh what size spur is on the stock dbxl 2.0? but like you say, dropping from 20T to 19 should help, maybe even 18T? as these rims/tires are pretty huge!
ok so it seems the stock spur is 62T which i will leave for now and see how the smaller pinion works out

yup i have those same wheels just different threads, they are also very heavy. maybe buy a couple gears if you can and see what works best
problem is it will cost me around £52 per gear i try! as id have to buy the engine lugs too to go with the gear and in UK the cheapest is £52 for gear and lugs :( so not sure if i should get the 19 or 18T and hope its a good 1st choice!?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks